Idiots mistake moose for elk? News at 11...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't understand how you could have a big bull moose in your scope and think it's an elk, and then once you get over it, it now suddenly looks like a moose so they call the DOW?????

There is story in PA about an Amish guy who traveled to the elk region of PA to hunt whitetails. After a morning in the woods he walked down to a farm and asked for the farmer to bring a tractor to help haul his deer. The farmer replied "most guys just gut and drag their deer." The Amish guy replies with "hell, it must weigh 500 pounds!"

Not sure if it's true but I like it so I'll keep acting like it is.

CO used to sent a postcard with the difference between an elk and a moose. I don't know how you could mess that up.

stonewall

WKR
that's terrible

My first time heading out to CO to elk hunt, I had called meat processers in the area in advance. This one guy tells me to be sure I don't shoot a moose. I said, "you're kidding right." he says, "Nope, it happens every year."
I just don't get how such a mistake can be made

MThuntr

WKR
Well, it’s too bad they didn’t mistake llamas for elk again.

c45942e76b4bd6c56f53ee465396c902.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was the best. They made on of those Mastercard commercials memes with this pic...remember those from 15 years ago?

MT Hunting license $1000
New Rifle with scope $1500
Old Ford Pickup $2500
Shooting a llama and taking it to a check station....Priceless

I recently deleted the original email and it had the guys name, ALS, and address. I want to say he was from New York.

Ucsdryder

WKR
In Colorado it happens 10-15 times a year. I think most happen at first and last light. I assume rifle guys that have both a cow and bull tag so they don’t get as good of an ID? I feel like someone last year shot one with a bow? I remember reading about it. There are signs at most major dirt roads in Colorado telling people “moose in area, know your target.” Seems impossible but obviously it isn’t! Shouldn’t be that shocking I guess, remember a couple years ago when a ML shot a kid thinking he was an elk.

stonewall

WKR
Well, it’s too bad they didn’t mistake llamas for elk again.

c45942e76b4bd6c56f53ee465396c902.jpg

supposedly that was a feral llama...had no idea some were on the loose.

There's also that story of the instagram kid who shot those german shepherd "wolves" laying by his backpack

Ucsdryder

WKR
supposedly that was a feral llama...had no idea some were on the loose.

There's also that story of the instagram kid who shot those german shepherd "wolves" laying by his backpack
Lol he was so proud of himself. He argued they were wolves even after being corrected. At least those looked a little bit like wolves. Much closer than moose and elk.

Ratbeetle

WKR
My pap used to mention seeing a guy dragging a goat with a buck tag in its ear... it takes a different types of people to make the world go round i guess....
My dad always had a story like that he told. He was hanging around a check-in station in MO in the late 70s when two guys pulled in proudly ready to check their two bucks...which were goats. The conservation agent manning the check-in station, calmly checked the goats and sent the guys back to St. Louis.

After they left, my dad asked why he checked them in. The CA said "do you really want those guys back in the woods with you? Don't worry, we'll pay them a visit."

Tradchef

WKR
we had a llama issue close to us in bozeman last year. people are stupid and it makes us all look bad when shit like this happens. im glad the cople of guys came forward to admit it but the people that leave it to waste.....crazy.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
My lovely wife and I acquired permission on some fairly remote leasing land a few years back and built a solid relationship with the land owner and her son. Tending to gates and such... minding cattle they couldn’t from time to time. Us being the only ones with access and in archery season, kapow. Kapow.
Two dudes drop a couple of tan colour cows from about 300 yards. Well hustle we did. After confrontation and gate camera footage. The two fine gentleman were still certain these were deer. Oh my. Needless to say they did not have permission nor was it rifle season. Landowner contacted.
Do your homework my Lordy
Pretty much on rokslide we’re preaching to the choir. But these stories still blow my mind.

Cows for deer
Goats for deer
Moose for elk
Husky for a wolf

There’s a canadian true crime podcast About a lady who shoots her husband thinking he was a bear

The harshberger family, or something, I think if anyone’s interested

Holy shit do you even have eyes

Be sure before you shoot

Last edited:

tater

WKR
As a kid in SK there was more than one black horse shot by city guys thinking they were moose (back then an LEH tag was for any moose: "if its black, put it on its back".

We have a beautiful 6x7 bull elk mount at our local wildlife hall that was donated by the regional conservation service office. It was killed by an unsupervised twelve year old who shot it thinking it was a mule deer.

For every one mistake that is brought forward (misidentified species or misidentified legality for antler configuration) i am willing to bet there are three that aren't.

Rob5589

WKR
Learned a lot here.

One, don't shoot cow elk with really long necks.

Two, don't shoot bull elk with long beards.

CorbLand

WKR
This happens every year in pretty much each state with elk and moose. I think most get shot running through trees. My wife and I were still hunting trees this year for elk and jumped a moose with a couple calves. All we caught was glimpses of them running through the trees and you could easily shoot one if you weren't careful.

There was a guy in Idaho that took his horses out for a ride during elk season. He was leading his buckskin through the trees and someone shot it. To this day, I am still convinced that the guy leading his horse did it on purpose.