If you 3 under gap shoot tell me about your setup

cck311

FNG
Just curious about what is common for 3 under gappers. Would like to know the following things:

What is your arrow length?
What is your approximate fps?
What is your point on distance?
What are your gaps at various distances?
Are you happy with your current setup or are you still trying to tweak some things to your liking?
Does draw length factor in at all?

Thanks in advance for all replies!

This is probably uncommon but I think it works very well. I shoot 3 under and just make little marks on my riser for aiming reference. I have a really low Olympic style anchor point. I think this works very well and consistent.
28.75 draw 48 at 28
31.5” axis 400 with 200 up front

Longbow

What is your arrow length? 28.5, which is as shot as I can go
What is your approximate fps?175
What is your point on distance? 20
10 yards 5” down
15 yards 3.5” down
20 yards on
25 3” drop
30 15” drop
Are you happy with your current setup or are you still trying to tweak some things to your liking? Just got this. Ow and set it up this year. Lots of things to tweak.
Does draw length factor in at all? Always

My bow is 60lb at 28”, I draw 27.5. All calculators said I was a 400spine but right on the edge so I went with 350s, 200 grain uo front and I have my arrows cut down as much as possible to get it to tune. 300 spine would have been the better choice. My arrow is now 509 grain with a 16% FOC, no chance to go heavier with current arrows. Next year I will mess around with 300s to see what they can do.

I 'sort of' gap shoot but I shoot too many bows at the same time to become really comfortable with specific gaps.

My ILF rig is a 62in recurve that's about 45# at my draw length. Arrows weigh about 350gn and they are 27.5in carbon to carbon. I've tried to get this setup to give me a point on out to about 32-35 metres if possible as in my category down here in competitions we need to shoot as far as 48 metres, so the further my point on the easier those long shots, but the more difficult the closer ones are.

With one of my hunting longbows my point on is about 22 metres at the moment, which is useless for those comps but pretty good for hunting as my maximum gap distance is somewhere around that 10-11 metre mark.

A lot of it comes down to length or arrows and high how/low your anchor is. I've experimented with my anchor a lot the last couple of years. I used to be middle finger in corner of mouth, then I went to index finger in that spot just to give myself more distance. Now I'm not sure of the height of my anchor as such but I'm anchoring further back on my face.

bisblue

WKR
What is your arrow length? 32 axis 340
What is your approximate fps? Not sure
What is your point on distance? 30 with slight fixed crawl
What are your gaps at various distances? 30 yard point on
Are you happy with your current setup or are you still trying to tweak some things to your liking?
Does draw length factor in at all? 30+" DL

shooting a Heartland customs recurve, 62" #52@30".
I'm having some carbon limbs made now, I use a 75 grain outsert and a aluminum shaft piece for a footing

I shoot a 46# predator with full length Easton Axis 500s, stock inserts, and 175 grain VPA penetrators. No idea on the speed but the arrows weight about 470 grains so it’s pretty fast. I use a low anchor and what I call a “reverse gap”, using the top of my sight window and increasing large gaps rather than the point and increasingly small gaps

ledflight

WKR
66" 42lb A&H longbow. 560grain arrow. At 20 I am about 8" below point on. At 10yards and under I switch to gap-stinctive.

Solitude

WKR
I try to select/tune arrows to bows to allow for the following on deer size game:

~25 yards point on

~20 yards hold roughly bottom chest

~30 yards hold roughly top of back

Reactions: GLB

JjamesIII

WKR
Just curious about what is common for 3 under gappers. Would like to know the following things:

What is your arrow length?
What is your approximate fps?
What is your point on distance?
Does draw length factor in at all?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
48 pound ilf set up. Point on is 30, 25 yards is an sim point at the heart, 35 yards is aim point at the back line. 20 yards or less is purely instinctive. I set up a tied in nock set for a fixed crawl, which is approximately 1/4” under my arrow nocking point. I also use a clicker as a draw check, fyi.
You got to play with it and find what works specifically for you and your set up. Everyone’s set up is unique to them and their bow/arrow tune. Hell, even the tiller setting and brace height will noticeably effect the tune. Fixed crawl is ideal, I wouldn’t recommend string walking because you’re tuning changes when you adjust your finger position.
It takes time! Be patient, it’ll take several sessions even once you get close to tuned because you’ll want to make sure your not shooting inconsistently from one day to the next before you start cutting down all your shafts too short- lol. Once I get it dialed in I really hate changing anything in my set up because you will be almost right back to step one again after you spent so much time setting the bow up.

Pmringer

WKR
Is the goal to use this as a base for a gap setup? None of this will be consistent shooter to shooter. I shoot the same full length 75-80 spine tapered Doug Fir shafts with 190 grain heads out of every bow but my gaps are different for each. My one laminate longbow has the biggest gaps and longest point on but my selfbows I primarily shoot are all different. It’s all about experimenting and figuring it out because basing off other’s setup will be aggravating and unachievable. My laminate bow is 66” amo and draws [email protected]. Osage selfbows are 70” amo and draw [email protected] and all the gaps are different.

I shoot a 60” Toelke Whistler 45# @ 28”, my draw length is 30”
I shoot Black Eagle arrows 31.5” long with a 75 grain insert and 150 grain heads
speed? 180ish?

point on at 20 yards and closer.

I don’t shoot past 20 yards.

will16_

FNG
What is your arrow length? 32"
What is your approximate fps? 175ish
What is your point on distance? 30yards
What are your gaps at various distances? 15" at 15, 8" at 25 (I gap at the riser, max gap is about 1/2", 1/4" for 25 yards
Are you happy with your current setup or are you still trying to tweak some things to your liking? I love it for whitetails, fast enough to shoot the gap from 10-21yds but still have my point from reference.
Does draw length factor in at all? I have a 31.5" draw which definitely helps my speed game, shooting 660 grains at 52 pounds.

Warmsy

WKR
62"Fleetwood timber ridge 45# @ 28"

Full length Easton axis
No idea what fps
Point-on is 40 yards
Luckily, every 5 yards reduction in distance is one arrow width down. 20 yds is 4 arrow widths down.
I was eyeing all these beautiful custom bows available, but ran my bow over with my truck last day of deer season at 5:00 am, and it still shoots like a dream. It's proven its worth!

Mpaschke7

FNG
54lb Carbon blackwidow
28” draw, 29” gold tip 340s with 100g brass and 200g heads
Arrow weight right about 590g

Point on is right at 35 yards

Thinking about trying to build some small diameter arrows for next season