If you haven't switched to lithium batteries yet, you should consider it

dryflyelk

FNG
I know most of you guys probably know this already, but I was surprised at how many of my friends still used alkaline batteries like regular duracell or energizer or home rechargeables in their hunting gear.

Lithium batteries have several benefits over rechareables or alkaline for hunters and hikers.

1 - they weigh a lot less. Lithium batteries are usually about 1/3 less weight. Not a huge difference, but easy grams to lose.
2 - they last a LOT longer. I've seen some things that say 3 or 4 times as long. Lithiums in game cameras will last a season or more.
3 - The don't leak. I've had several devices ruined by alkaline batteries that leak their goo all over the inside of the device.
4 - They aren't temperature sensitive. They work when it's hot or cold with no real difference.

Downside - and the only one that i'm aware of - is price. They are more money. However, when you consider the cost of the rest of the stuff you're toting around, the extra buck or whatever it is doesn't make a difference.

If you've got duracells or something else in your headlamps and other gear, switch them out.

Costco has great prices on AA energizer lithium batteries most of the time. They are less than a dollar each. Sometimes they have AAA, but i haven't seen those in a while. You can always get them on amazon.

Switching your batteries is the easiest way to upgrade your pack instantly without spending much money.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Title of this thread goes over the top. Lithium batteries are not across the board superior and even though they have a longer life in cold weather, they have an Achilles heel. As anyone who is a backcountry skier knows, lithium batteries are eschewed for use in avalanche beacons despite the fact that they hold a charge longer in the cold. Why? Because they go from a 40-50% charge to completely dead in no time, often instantly. You get little no warning that they will die.

Pro953

WKR
Title of this thread goes over the top. Lithium batteries are not across the board superior and even though they have a longer life in cold weather, they have an Achilles heel. As anyone who is a backcountry skier knows, lithium batteries are eschewed for use in avalanche beacons despite the fact that they hold a charge longer in the cold. Why? Because they go from a 40-50% charge to completely dead in no time, often instantly. You get little no warning that they will die.

This is one of the reasons I do not like them in my headlamps actually. I prefer the progressive fade of a weakening alkaline then the scramble when my headlamp goes from full to zero in the matter of a minute or two and I scramble to swap batteries. Just a personal preference but after dealing with it a couple times I switched back to old school Duracells for the headlamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

dryflyelk

FNG
Yeah, probably not the best title. It’s click baity for sure.

If I was using the batteries for avalanche beacons, I’d definitely reconsider. For backpackers and hunters, it’s a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
D

dryflyelk

FNG
This is one of the reasons I do not like them in my headlamps actually. I prefer the progressive fade of a weakening alkaline then the scramble when my headlamp goes from full to zero in the matter of a minute or two and I scramble to swap batteries. Just a personal preference but after dealing with it a couple times I switched back to old school Duracells for the headlamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

However - that headlight lasts 2-4 times longer with the lithium battery. To me, not having to change the battery nearly as often outweighs the instant off by quite a bit. But you’re right, they don’t slowly die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do all of the Lithiums fade out instantly when they are drained?? Or is it just the rechargeable Lithiums? I have been using Energizer lithium batteries exclusively (disposables, not recharge), mainly because they won't leak and ruin my electronics. I have not found them to go out without any warning.
I use them in my Eotech Optic on my SRT/Duty rifle, and they are the only thing I use in my Swarovski EL Range.
I did find that when I used rechargeable AA, and AAA years ago, they would go out without warning, but would work again as normal after recharging them.

gelton

WKR
The main argument for - they last longer.
The main argument against - they cost more.

However, the additional longevity (~+120% in this test) when compared to the cost (+500%), is not warranted if you are looking at mah per penny. Do agree with your other points though.

Brendan

WKR
Wouldn't have used the same title, but I'm with the OP. They last longer, they're lighter, and I have had no issues with them dying suddenly (Except in a Steripen, I think when that loses voltage it stops and flashes a code). This is with Energizers, not rechargeable. And, I too have had stuff ruined by a leaking Alkaline. I think for my headlamps during whitetail season, I might change the battery once during the season. Maybe...

Cost per battery is about the LAST thing I'm worrying about with what I spend on the rest of my gear. Shit, I'm sitting in my office looking at a new set of rain gear and insulated leather boots that got delivered for this season.

Poser

WKR
Do all of the Lithiums fade out instantly when they are drained?? Or is it just the rechargeable Lithiums? I have been using Energizer lithium batteries exclusively (disposables, not recharge), mainly because they won't leak and ruin my electronics. I have not found them to go out without any warning.
I use them in my Eotech Optic on my SRT/Duty rifle, and they are the only thing I use in my Swarovski EL Range.
I did find that when I used rechargeable AA, and AAA years ago, they would go out without warning, but would work again as normal after recharging them.

As I understand, yes. It preached heavily not to trust your life to them in avalanche beacons. The rule of thumb is to replace beacon batteries once they dip below 50% charge. Go up the mountain with a 60% charge, get buried in an avalanche with a 50% charge and it dies on you while you are buried.

Trial153

WKR
I definitely had better luck with trail cams using lithium battery, longer life and more consistent in cold weather. I use them in most everything at this point .

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried them in my GPS, headlamps, and AA flashlights. Quite frankly, I didn't see much of an improvement in longevity at all in any of those. The only place I've found a huge longevity advantage is in my digital camera. They'll easily last 20+ times as long as regular alkaline batteries in that camera. Other than that, I change out all my headlamp, GPS, and flashlight batteries every new season anyway so I'm not concerned with those alkalines.

wapitibob

WKR
I've switched everything over to usb charging. I wasn't going to pony up $100 + for a new headlamp so I bought 2800mah usb rechargable aa's.

Carlin59

WKR
I keep spare AAs in my bino harness easily reachable. I’ve changed headlamp batteries by feel more than once due to Lithiums, but the performance is worth it to me for GPS and headlamp.

TheGDog

WKR
Yeah, not having to worry about taking your batteries back out every dang time and having them leak inside the device and kill off its battery bay and mess it up is big for me.

RE: the device giving up the ghost all at once... most of my devices do that either way, with either type of cell, since they have circuitry to regulate the current flow (I assume thru use of capacitors) specifically to prevent that slow dying-off effect. To maintain maximum brightness up til it dies.

BTW... as the backup? I've been using now the NEBO Torchy! It's a USB rechargeable with it's own Lithium cell inside of it. Thing is small, nice and light, has the right kind of clicker so it won't accidentally get turned on in your pack, AND... they even got the clip right so you can slip it onto your cap as a replacement for a headlamp! Just $30 bucks!

For those of you that want a battery bank.... they also have a battery bank, with a built-in flashlight on it AND a knife blade designed into it! (The PaL+). That one is a lil heavy though.

And typically I like lights that have a middle or low power mode that does like around 40-60 lumens or so and use that most of the time anyway to ensure long runtimes. These two have that.