If you were going to commit to hunting moose with a trad bow, what would you get?

Got a fork bull a few years ago with my Bob Lee recurve. 56#. 480-ish grain arrow, 200 gr 2 blade fixed. wasn’t the best shot. Hit a little higher than I wanted, but still killed it. Was pretty happy with the bow. I’d use a heavier arrow next time. I’m shooting 50# super recurve now, and getting faster arrow speed even with heavier arrow. Pretty confident it would drill through a big moose if I do my job.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Because the thread is about what I would get...

A longbow with a contoured grip.
A good fast longbow.
Did I mention a longbow?
60 pounds at my draw length x 62" long.
Sight window cut to at least center.
A longbow with pretty wood.
Single-bevel Abowyer Wapiti heads.
Victory VAP Elite shafts with Valkyrie components.

I would also get some type of video series or a book that teaches archery form and fundamentals. No offense to my Rokslide (and other forums) friends, but I would avoid getting 'how to shoot a stickbow' advice from any forums....mainly because of the wide disparity of opinions and methods. If I wanted to learn golf, I'd do it the same way....learn the right way....avoid confusing advice even though well intentioned.

And because I love carrying one in wild country....a longbow would be my choice every day.
I used to really like the Abowyer heads, until I had several of them snap tips off of and curled tips. Never had those issues with any of my Tuffheads, VPAs, or Cutthroats. Had one curl so bad you could hang the arrow on a limb by the tip. They killed animals, but the durability at that price point just wasn't in line with other heads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky,

Please take this as just me relating a different set of experiences....

I've been using Abowyer heads exclusively since 2008. In that time I've killed....a lot....of whitetails, moose and other big game. I have not damaged even one of my heads despite some bone hits and the occasional miss. Mine have been the most durable heads I've ever used, and I ditched my VPA heads many years ago. Additionally, it's been over 6 years since I've actually had to trail an animal down. I've watched my last dozen deer go down before they got out of sight. Every moose I've shot has dropped in sight. Same with a big blackie that tried to get away but went down in about 5-6 seconds. That broadhead went through the bear and then through a steel barrel with no damage. Many of my broadheads have taken previous animals and are still in the quiver. With that kind of durability, performance and history (14 years) I can't find a reason to consider a change.