If you were just starting out what pack would you buy?

This may have been asked 100000 times but I’m also trying to upgrade my account and in need of the information. If you could buy one pack to last you the future 3-5 years or more and do it all from stalking to tree stands or multi day trips, I guess a do it all bag. What would it be?

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Like you said asked plenty of times. Some guys prefer Kifaru while others EXO and or Stone Glacier. All make excellent packs.

Personally I prefer the EXO K4 5000 for and end all be all. It works well for me for day hunts and backpacking hunts.

sveltri

WKR
Prior to today I would have not mentioned the Kifaru Kutthroat as this pack. Our LGS just brought them in recently and I put hands on it. Its a pretty cool pack that could work well to satisfy your criteria.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Stone Glacier is what I personally would choose. Find a bag layout you think will best suit 90% of what you want it to do and don’t look back.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'd look at something between 4800ci to 6200ci. I have a Seek Outside 5400ci bag that is my only bag. I have enough room in that bag for a full hot tent setup and 11 days worth of food. I'm also a fan of the break-a-way systems where you haul meat between the bag and pack, rather than in the pack.

We have most of the pack companies covered in our friend group. They all pack gear in and carry meat out well. Some fit people better than others.

The way I generally see the pack companies are:
Seek Outside has relatively simple packs. One huge pocket with minimal add-ons. They're lighter because of this, but you lack organization.

Exo/Kuiu/Stone Glacier seem to strike the balance between pack weight and pockets. One of the companies in here should have a system that works for you.

Kifaru and Mystery Ranch seems to have the most organization, but also are the heaviest bags. The Kifaru frame had the most comfortable hipbelt that I've tried.

If I was to get another pack that wasn't Seek, I'd switch to Kifaru.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
This may have been asked 100000 times but I’m also trying to upgrade my account and in need of the information. If you could buy one pack to last you the future 3-5 years or more and do it all from stalking to tree stands or multi day trips, I guess a do it all bag. What would it be?
This depends on your budget somewhat. If cost isn't a factor, I would buy a new pack after trying a few out. A great place to try a bunch of the best packs is at the Hunt Expo in SLC in February. If you can't make the show, try to find some local guys who have packs you can try out.

If you're on a tighter budget, I would still try to test a few packs and then buy a used one off the classifieds.

My personal choice if I was buying a pack for the uses you described is the Exo K4 with 5000 bag.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Hill people gear decker and swap to different size decker bags as you are learning what you need
Probably this. I was too early to the game and went all in on Kifaru.

I have a Decker Pocket that I use on my Granite Gear Chief Flatbed that I love.

Here's an album of pics of that...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
G
This depends on your budget somewhat. If cost isn't a factor, I would buy a new pack after trying a few out. A great place to try a bunch of the best packs is at the Hunt Expo in SLC in February. If you can't make the show, try to find some local guys who have packs you can try out.

If you're on a tighter budget, I would still try to test a few packs and then buy a used one off the classifieds.

My personal choice if I was buying a pack for the uses you described is the Exo K4 with 5000 bag.

Budget is a factor. I’ve thought about the alps outdoors commander x. I really like that new akek as well cause it can break down so many ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
You'll probably upgrade your gear over time, but the one thing that I would not recommend you skimp on is your backpack. You can find backpacks in the low-mid tier range that have similar specs to high end backpacks, but the materials, fit, and comfort are worlds apart. It's really hard to appreciate how much better they are until you've used cheap backpacks extensively, but I think it's revelatory the difference they make in carrying weight and preserving your body. It's the difference in having sore legs, but a functioning body over a slip disc and ****ed up back. Wouldn't matter much if you only ever carried up to 50#, but 60#+ and it makes all the difference. If all my gear burned up and I had to start over, I'd go budget with pretty much everything else, and buy the best pack of my choice (used). I can find $150 boots that are comfortable, but last a couple seasons less. Good glass is expensive regardless, so you'll probably upgrade it over time. Everything else, good enough is good enough. A good pack is worth every penny.

Mt Al

WKR
IMHO, something in the 3800-5000 cu in that can be a big daypack, then fill up and hang other bags onto for overnights. A pack doesn't need massive cubic inches within the bag to qualify as "multi-day", particularly when they have a load carriage shelf that can be used for space for overnight gear.

An MR PopUp 40 with a few side and back pouches, plus the load shelf, is plenty for a multi-day pack.

Any of the pack companies listed make a great product.