If You're Wanting to Come Hunt in Montana.....

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor

Thanks Randy! Appreciate the assistance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
Amended Montana SB143 shows that "Not more than 4,600 6,600 unreserved Class B-11 licenses may be sold in any 1 license year." This increase appears to be the only "win" in the amended version.

Wanna hunt with an outfitter? Gonna cost you $200 more just for the privilege of applying. I also see they are likely to grab a first year landfall by grabbing preference point$ from those who hunt with outfitters but will no longer need those points.

This SENATE bill has a little ways to go and if it makes it then it must go through the HOUSE and if all passes it gets to the GOVERNOR. Click HERE and follow the light grey lines to see the process. Right now, they are expecting the SENATE second reading on 2/15/21 (which is odd, as that is President's Day).

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
Now seems like a good time to mention the other sweet bills waiting in the wings after this one. Like the unlimited bull tags in over-objective elk units... which is pretty much every LE unit in the eastern half of the state, to include the Breaks. And the crossbows... and the ML extension.

What is about to happen to Montana, her wildlife, and residents is going to devastate all but the wealthy landowners and the outfitters that lease their ranches. Sad days ahead fellas...

Thanks Randy, and thanks for what you do on behalf of all of us.

I emailed all 50 Senators in opposition. I would encourage anyone who regularly hunts Montana to do the same.

Emails all sent. I wonder though with the ones without the official Montana email address if those are just “burner” accounts. I suspect that they also have official addresses formatted the same as the others. I plan on sending to those as well.

Also here is the website for the Montana Chamber of Commerce with a contract form and phone numbers.

And a list of all local chambers of commerce in Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7b4ab3f2778cd58016417b163fa3cd9d.jpg

Last edited:
I held down till the blue box highlighted the first person. Then drug the arrow up. And copy but when I tried to send the email it said invalid.

I do not have a full computer.

Spark352

Lil-Rokslider
Emails sent.

If your having trouble dropping all of the email addresses into the “to” portion from an iPhone try dropping all of them into a notepad and formatting from there.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
As for the access stuff...well we had better access 10 years ago then we do now. Dont believe me. Just go talk to locals in the helena area.
White sulfur, augusta, Lincoln, list goes on.

This is mostly false.

The true part is there were more ranches/farms that would let you hunt with a handshake. It wasn’t exactly reliable access either.

However, outfitters without subsidized tags were busy and successful enough to lease much of that once-open land since then, and exclude DIY hunters.

Thankfully, the Block Management Program expanded greatly, improving access to private land over much of the state, including many blocks of public that previously had no access.

This outfitter welfare will incentivize BMA participators to leave Block Management and enter into private leases, leaving out DIYers resident and non-resident alike.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are a self-guided non-resident who applies in Montana, this podcast might be of interest to you.

I reached out to some outfitters to see if a MOGA representative wanted to be on my podcast to talk about SB 143. Mac Minard, the ED of MOGA, found a window of time to share a mic. I asked my editor to turn this around as a high priority.

Some advance notes to keep in mind as you listen. I sent Mac a list of talking points. I do not view my podcast as a place to blindside people. This is not a discussion intended to be a trap for MOGA. I promised Mac he would have the first 20 minutes to explain the rationale for MOGA bringing forth this bill as it was originally proposed and the rationale for the amendment down to 39%. And that he would have the chance to provide commentary or rebuttal to any of my points.

I'm confident in my positions and reasons for opposing this bill. I am sure Mac is confident that he is doing the work his association expects of him. Neither of us likely changed the other's mind on any of the issues.

I gave Mac the benefit of all courtesies to explain his rationale, having full confidence that our audience fully understands the issues and can sort out the facts from sales pitch, how this bill will impact them, and what is at stake in the bigger picture when an effort is made to override a citizen's vote on this same issue. The math is the math and that math shows this is a big hit to the self-guided non-resident.

Part of what we learn from this is where MOGA feels is their strongest defense and by ignoring some topics they show what they feel are their weakest positions. Hopefully this will generate some discussion and expand advocacy and awareness.

As much as I disagree with all principles this bill represents, thanks to Mac for taking the time.

Listen directly at this link -----> https://www.stitcher.com/show/hunt-...nting-politics-primer-montana-sb-143-81631896

Download directly at this link -----> https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/hunttalk/21021320-20HT20Podcast20-20MT20Guide20Bill.mp3

Or, use your podcast app and search for Hunt Talk Radio and download the most recent episode #154.

I will continue to follow this bill through the entire legislative process, doing a YouTube video to compliment this podcast and possibly doing another podcast as the bill progresses. That podcast will be more of an explanation of how to be an advocate within the legislative process. And hopefully encourage people to get even more involved in protecting the hunting they have and the access necessary for such.

If you are a self-guided non-resident who applies in Montana, this podcast might be of interest to you.

I reached out to some outfitters to see if a MOGA representative wanted to be on my podcast to talk about SB 143. Mac Minard, the ED of MOGA, found a window of time to share a mic. I asked my editor to turn this around as a high priority.

Some advance notes to keep in mind as you listen. I sent Mac a list of talking points. I do not view my podcast as a place to blindside people. This is not a discussion intended to be a trap for MOGA. I promised Mac he would have the first 20 minutes to explain the rationale for MOGA bringing forth this bill as it was originally proposed and the rationale for the amendment down to 39%. And that he would have the chance to provide commentary or rebuttal to any of my points.

I'm confident in my positions and reasons for opposing this bill. I am sure Mac is confident that he is doing the work his association expects of him. Neither of us likely changed the other's mind on any of the issues.

I gave Mac the benefit of all courtesies to explain his rationale, having full confidence that our audience fully understands the issues and can sort out the facts from sales pitch, how this bill will impact them, and what is at stake in the bigger picture when an effort is made to override a citizen's vote on this same issue. The math is the math and that math shows this is a big hit to the self-guided non-resident.

Part of what we learn from this is where MOGA feels is their strongest defense and by ignoring some topics they show what they feel are their weakest positions. Hopefully this will generate some discussion and expand advocacy and awareness.

As much as I disagree with all principles this bill represents, thanks to Mac for taking the time.

Listen directly at this link -----> https://www.stitcher.com/show/hunt-...nting-politics-primer-montana-sb-143-81631896

Download directly at this link -----> https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/hunttalk/21021320-20HT20Podcast20-20MT20Guide20Bill.mp3

Or, use your podcast app and search for Hunt Talk Radio and download the most recent episode #154.

I will continue to follow this bill through the entire legislative process, doing a YouTube video to compliment this podcast and possibly doing another podcast as the bill progresses. That podcast will be more of an explanation of how to be an advocate within the legislative process. And hopefully encourage people to get even more involved in protecting the hunting they have and the access necessary for such.
Thank you, Randy!

Predictability matters for the outfitters but your guest makes the point that non-res with no points could still draw...

Seems like their justifications may work in a closed system but ignore what reactions will take place.

204guy

WKR
X3 Thanks Randy.

Side note: I don't know that I'll ever be in the market to book a guided hunt in Mt or WY, but if I was the 1st question I'd ask the outfitter was if they where a member of WYOGA/MOGA it's a complete non starter in my book. I've felt this way for awhile and this latest by simply reinforces it.