I’m not looking for honey holes but…

UncleBone

WKR
We would come home from bird hunting trips to western Kansas and swing through there. Would stuff burgers through the slats of the dog trailer windows...each dog got one. Don't ever wear your jacket inside or you'll be smelling it for weeks.

Another tip in that zone is Midland Railroad Hotel in Wilson, KS. Cool old building with the restaurant in the basement. The bartenders are very classy for central Kansas. They wouldn't even slap you in the face for $20, even if you insisted, over and over.
Don't pass up the brookville hotel either. If they are still doing family style fried chicken dinners. Some of the best fried chicken I ever had, and a really cool place to eat it!

shane102

FNG
Amano in Caldwell, Idaho. Best authentic Mexican food you will ever have, hands down.

MNBill

Lil-Rokslider
Leona General Store, Leona Texas. Best ribeye I’ve had. It’s all they have and they are only open Friday and Saturday nights. There is a line so go early. Also, BYOB!

SonnyDay

WKR
If you like Mexican and are forced (sadly) to travel I-70 through Colorado... Jilbertito's in West Glenwood is awesome.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
The Pickled Wrinkle, Birch Harbor, Maine. Great local dive bar with awesome food.

I know this is a western forum, but if you ever go to Acadia NP, it's only 45min from the Bar Harbor. Worth the drive. If your brave enough, even try eating a pickled wrinkle. (carnivorous sea slug that sticks to lobster pots. Locals would throw them in pickle solution to eat when lobster fishing was bad and needed protein).

It was one of the worst things I put in my mouth.
I can’t believe I’m seeing this. My 95 yo father lives in Winter Harbor, so of course we sometimes go over to The Pickled Wrinkle. Have the coaster to prove it lol…

1BB02AE5-7258-4E41-9D98-361358EEF7F6.jpeg

Backyard

WKR
Walden, CO - River Rock Café at the Antlers Inn
Chicken Fried Steak or the Chicken Fried Chicken is amazing

Kremmling, CO - The Dean West
Only open certain days of the week. The hot spot at night. Great food.
Kremmling, CO - Moose Café
Great brunch spot. Check out the harvest in the back of the trucks on the way in.

Siverthorn, CO - Cheba Hut
Amazing sub sandwiches. Ignore/embrace the vides. The sandwiches are worth it.

I’ll second The Dean. Great burgers. If I recall correctly the owner is from MN, hence the west reference in the name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habanero’s in Trinidad, CO. You can order over the phone and pick it up. Breakfast burritos and other good Mexican food right under I-25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HUNTNUT

FNG
Chappy’s in Westcliffe Colorado. The hamburgers and steaks are fabulous.

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 18

nm_nomad

FNG
Alma Grill in Alma, New Mexico. Your classic small town diner. Great food and really cheap. Near units 22, 23, and 16A.

COJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Chappy’s in Westcliffe Colorado. The hamburgers and steaks are fabulous.
Is this the hamburger place right along Second St with the other businesses? I was going to mention it but couldn't remember the name of it. I ate there a few times and always a really tasty burger. Hit the pawn shop/thrift store right across the street when you're done eating.

Mojave

WKR
Next to the Kittery Trading Post in Maine is a lobster shack to die for. I can't remember, what the name of it is, but they make the best Lobster rolls I have ever had.

UncleBone

WKR
If you are in or near Colorado Springs thursday through sunday, hit up the chuckwagon bbq. Best BBQ I have had in Colorado. In fact I would say the really only good BBQ I have had here, other than my own. True texas style, with legit post oak smoked brisket. Super awesome family that runs it too. Any other day besides sunday, Drifters Hamburgers is where it is at too. Do yourself a favor, and get the big island, wild style. It is 4 patties, but they are thin, and I have faith that most of you eat like men.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t believe I’m seeing this. My 95 yo father lives in Winter Harbor, so of course we sometimes go over to The Pickled Wrinkle. Have the coaster to prove it lol…

View attachment 684693
That's awesome. I worked for Acadia for a little bit. Pickle wrinkled, and tinder hearth, south near blue hill were two staples I tried to take family and friends.

Checking out the wrinkled menu, it looks a bit more upscale food than it was in 2019-2020. I remember Friday was all you can eat fish fry with haddock sandwiches, washed down some sea dog blueberry beer.

prm

WKR
I’ll start with the Bucksbort Saloon in Pine, CO. It’s a great place a few miles off the beaten path. Good food and drinks and just a “homey” feeling place.
The Bucksnort is good but I really like Zokas in Pine. Nothing beats a Zoka burger after a couple long days in the woods.

The Bucksnort is definitely an out of the way hole in the wall. My old football coach lived next door. Even has his pic on the wall.

The Cutthroat Cafe in Bailey is my go-to when visiting my old homestead.

Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio, NM is good
El Bruno’s - Cuba, NM
Los Hermanitos - Farmington, NM
3 Rivers Eatery/brewhouse - Farmington, NM
Wec’s - Farmington and Albuquerque, NM
Serious Texas BBQ - Durango, CO
Durango Downtown Diner - Durango, CO
Old Timer’s Cafe - Durango, CO
Carver’s - Durango, CO

Can you tell which states I spend most of my time in? 🤣

Many years ago we would stop at The Muckers Bucket in Creede, CO. It’s probably long gone now though.

So many great places for NM food all over the state.
If in Chama, try Fina's for breakfast, or JV's for lunch. Also, Wilder bakeshop makes unbelievable pastries, cakes, and other goodies you shouldn't have while in training for elk chasing (the owner Jazzmyn Kramer is easy on the eyes too).