I’m not looking for honey holes but…

Swamp Fox

WKR
I concur.

Subway is the Oscar Mayer of fresh food ...

OIP.9pGP9zVfCAh92QQQdOGAqgHaEK

Walden, CO - River Rock Café at the Antlers Inn
Chicken Fried Steak or the Chicken Fried Chicken is amazing

Kremmling, CO - The Dean West
Only open certain days of the week. The hot spot at night. Great food.
Kremmling, CO - Moose Café
Great brunch spot. Check out the harvest in the back of the trucks on the way in.

Siverthorn, CO - Cheba Hut
Amazing sub sandwiches. Ignore/embrace the vides. The sandwiches are worth it.

Last edited:
Can’t say the same for there other locations but that one is decent.

That’s the truth! Definitely one of the better subways I’ve been. Besides the Kum&Go pizza it’s the only edible food in the area.
You've obviously never snuck back to "The Dean West"!

BowBaboon

FNG
Walden, CO - River Rock Café at the Antlers Inn
Chicken Fried Steak or the Chicken Fried Chicken is amazing
Did you ever eat at Stockman's? Got a recommendation from the guys at the fly shop to go down there. Wasn't great food and the bartenders were downright hostile.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
The Pickled Wrinkle, Birch Harbor, Maine. Great local dive bar with awesome food.

I know this is a western forum, but if you ever go to Acadia NP, it's only 45min from the Bar Harbor. Worth the drive. If your brave enough, even try eating a pickled wrinkle. (carnivorous sea slug that sticks to lobster pots. Locals would throw them in pickle solution to eat when lobster fishing was bad and needed protein).

It was one of the worst things I put in my mouth.

LFC911

WKR
The Last Steep B&G in Crested Butte, CO try the chicken green chili soup along with the half pound burger and fries.

UncleBone

WKR
Riff Raff Brewing has good burgers. Also some really good food at Coyote Moon

Don't forget the GunniSack in Gunnison. Decent stuff there too.

Eddyline brewing taproom in Buena Vista has really good bar food! Ive heard the restaurant is good as well but we like the vibe in the taproom. K's Dairy Delite in Buena vista has good burgers and always has a long line.
Gunnisack is closed. So is firebrand if you ever ate there.

UncleBone

WKR
Can’t say the same for there other locations but that one is decent.

That’s the truth! Definitely one of the better subways I’ve been. Besides the Kum&Go pizza it’s the only edible food in the area.
Just make your way over to Granby and get a burger at debbies drive in!

ColoradoV

WKR
Last steep is closed. Will reopen as the hideout.

Best sandwiches in a 3 county area as well as desserts is Sorelle Deli in Buena Vista Colo.. It’s a must hit!!!

On road trips, I keep an eye out for cop cars outside restaurants. Staties and highway patrol cover a lot of ground and seem to now where the best spots are. County sheriff's are next in the pecking order, then local PD.

I drive through there a lot. WIll give it a try. Usually just hit Taco John's lol. We don't have them in OK.

We would come home from bird hunting trips to western Kansas and swing through there. Would stuff burgers through the slats of the dog trailer windows...each dog got one. Don't ever wear your jacket inside or you'll be smelling it for weeks.

Another tip in that zone is Midland Railroad Hotel in Wilson, KS. Cool old building with the restaurant in the basement. The bartenders are very classy for central Kansas. They wouldn't even slap you in the face for $20, even if you insisted, over and over.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
The Depot in Dolores, CO
Awesome burgers and malted milk shakes. It's like heaven after a week in the mountains eating Mountain House glop to drive out through Dolores and get our first good meal.