In your experience, where are the biggest, most rugged mountains?

Macintosh

WKR
There are a lot of different flavors of suffering. A bunch already tossed out, but I'll add a different type of spice--not just the terrain, but the vegetation and weather.
Have spent a lot of time backpacking and climbing in CA,OR, WA, UT, MT, WY, CO, NV, AZ, NM for comparison. They are all "more rugged" in many ways than the place I'll throw out, but at the same time nearly all can be much easier in other ways. Northern NY/New England higher-elevation mtns--the adirondacks, greens, whites, etc--near treeline, which is at about 4000' and is the same vegetation-type as you'd encounter at like 11,000'+ in the rockies, can be ass-kickers. Generally not as steep as younger mountains, but the krumholz--locally known as "cripple-bush"--is thick and healthy and trying to bust through it is "character-building". I've found some similar stuff in the Wrangells in AK. Here, we sometimes cut or follow buck tracks through this zone near treeline, and between the moss-covered rocks (or should I say the bottomless holes between the moss-covered boulders), fighting through the wet, snow-covered brush until you're drenched and clothes are full of holes, and the typical weather pattern we hunt it in (increasingly crappy and wet weather followed by a sudden temperature drop to well-below freezing), and in minutes you can literally go from a blissful afternoon in the hills, to dying from hypothermia in the middle of nowhere. There is a reason the climate in this area is technically called "arctic maritime".

matpc1

FNG
Definitely not the biggest, but I'll put the the Floridas against anywhere else in terms of ruggedness. I was lucky enough to draw a tag for ibex out there - that hunt will change a person! haha
I've seen a decent share of bighorn but those little goats will put them to shame!

mthayr

WKR
Not many Easterners here I guess, but the White Mountain Range in New Hampshire may not be the tallest, but has some of the most grueling rock-n-root infested bouldering "trails" I've ever been on - and then there's the lack of water at most elevation, unless you count the storms.

Not the biggest but most rugged is the Floridas. Seems fine from a distance until you get there…it’s just plain odd how steep and treacherous that Little Rock can be…
The Frank Church and back in the Tetons are both big and rugged…but rugged per square mile Floridas hands down.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I wouldnt call the Florida's mountains,,,,more like a giant pile of boulders.
A very treacherous pile of boulders.

ethan

WKR
Interesting thread, lots of perspectives! I would say the San Juan’s are the most rugged I’ve been in overall. But I’ve enjoyed suckfests in several states from Nirth Carolina to Oregon.

anw0001

FNG
Had a wonderful trip to the San Juans back in September. Amazing mountains and the most rugged I have been around, absolutely gorgeous and difficult!

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve been all over the San Juans, absolutely love every part I’ve been in due to them being challenging terrain, but the area of Sangre De Cristos I’ve experienced is unlike the San Juan’s and hides more cliffs then my experience in the sawtooths. Imo the area of the Sangre de cristos I experienced are the most rugged.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
For this flatlander, it would be any of several ranges in Colorado, like the San Juans or Sangres, simply because the altitude makes them more rugged feeling. You cant get near or way over 12k feet in most other states.

PRC

FNG
Been all over Idaho even the frank church and Colorado in some nasty stuff but nothing has compared to a Mtn goat hunt in the Boulder river area of the Mt Baker - Snoqualmie national forest! Straight up cliffs and glaciers ! They even don’t recommend applying for the tag unless you’re an experienced Mtn/rock climber.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
All of Idaho. It is said flatten out Idaho and its ten times bigger than Texas.
Bred, born and raised true native Idahoan. Haven't been up in the Selkirks but everything from main Salmon river to the Nevada border. So I'd say all of Idaho.
Arizona, Utah and Nevada has wicked mountains too.

grfox92

WKR
As some have mentioned. The Absaroka Mountains, but Wyoming side for me. After living here for 3 years I fully uderstand why everyone hunts on horses. It isn't because they are lazy.

It's just big and steep.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Not many Easterners here I guess, but the White Mountain Range in New Hampshire may not be the tallest, but has some of the most grueling rock-n-root infested bouldering "trails" I've ever been on - and then there's the lack of water at most elevation, unless you count the storms.
I was astounded there were real Mountains in NH, as stated, not as high, but look as rugged as anything I've seen. I was there to do the Mt Washington auto road bicycle hill climb. That peak has 4700 feet of prominence, on par with almost any in CO.Mt Washington.jpg

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted some of the Sangre De Cristos in wilderness, rough big country, but navigable. The Floridas's..... whole nother ball game. Most of it I was repeated cliffed out.