Inexpensive red dot for turkey gun

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some options. I turkey hunt but not a ton. Don’t need to spend 400$ on a red dot. Any cheaper options that are reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I bought a vortex one that has worked well. I can’t remember the price, but I think $200 and change.

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I've had good experience with my Riton, and it was like $50. Good warranty too when I stripped a screw.

I have a fast fire 3 mounted on a sumtoy base on my gun. My wife's has a holosun on a pic rail on hers . Both have held zero , no issues with either one.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Vortex Venom. You can find them on sale from time to time. I’ve never paid over $200 for one.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Concur with venom. Used it for a few years.

That said holosun came out with a new one (507comp) I picked up over BF for $315. It allows you to put a 8,20, 32 MOA halo. Hoping I can pattern at one of the halos (likely 20 or 32). Will allow a reasonable estimate of downrange pattern for saving some meat.

That’s my excuse anyway.

Hills

FNG
Burris Fast Fire 3 on a meadow creek rib mount. I don't have a dedicated turkey gun but this works great and comes off easy for dove/duck season

SloppyJ

WKR
You can pickup a holosun for around 230 or so. That'd be my pick. I did see the sig romeo zeros for $99 the other day but I don't think they came with a pic mount.

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
What size dot would you guys recommend for a dedicated turkey gun? Looks like the venom options are 3 or 6

SloppyJ

WKR
What size dot would you guys recommend for a dedicated turkey gun? Looks like the venom options are 3 or 6

Go for the smallest one you can find. My eyes aren't the greatest and with certain red dots or illuminated optics, I get a bad Starburst type effect. I prefer the smallest I can get and it must have a godd brightness adjustment range. I run them pretty low so it doesn't blow out to my eyes.

Fatcamp

WKR

Solid option. Great for those with astigmatism as well.

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
You can generally get away with a less expensive red dot because it’s not riding on a pistol slide. I was given a Holosun multi reticle in green. I threw it on a turkey gun and it’s been fine for the last three years. I would get the smallest dot possible and I want to be able to adjust the brightness. Auto brightness on low light will just make you mad.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I will be using Riton's new 3 Tactix EED on my turkey shotgun this Spring. I would also feel 100% confident using their 1 Tactix ARD. I have several of them on PCC that I use for fun and recreational competitions. For $99 they can't be beat. My EED currently sits on my Glock 34 and is huge fun to shoot. Over 500 rounds, zero issues.

Attachments

• IMG_8871.jpeg
    IMG_8871.jpeg
    368.5 KB · Views: 9

Fordguy

WKR
Personal experience- ymmv

The best option for those with astigmatism (myself included) are scopes/sights with an etched reticle (prism sights) like the primary arms model suggested by FatCamp. Illuminated etched reticles eliminate the starburst problem, and the reticle is visible even if the battery dies and you have no illumination.

As others have pointed out, adjusting the brightness on a standard red dot or reflex sight may help reduce the effects of astigmatism, but from personal experience, no amount of adjustment eliminates the starburst or cluster of dots that I see, and I've tried a bunch of options.

Plenty of red dot/reflex style options in the $200-$300 range for those with good eyes. I didn't even know I had astigmatism until I put a red dot on my turkey gun several years ago. My first thought was that the sight must be defective. Lol. I took off the sight and went back to using the bead. No issues since.

Last edited: