Infection beyond anything I’ve seen

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone tell me what this is? Multiple guys in camp have been hunting deer for 40 plus years and never seen anything like this. Immediately first thing before opening her up was she was scraggly and no meat on her.

Attachments

• IMG_5146.jpeg
    IMG_5146.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_5143.jpeg
    IMG_5143.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 527
I shot a buck that was like that. I cleaned it up and found an abscess that had ruptured on his liver. Basically his entire body cavity behind the diaphragm was full and was spreading to his hips. His appearance was normal and he was chasing doe that day.

S-3 ranch

WKR
We shot a buck two weeks ago and while cleaning I found a abscess near the paunch, whole deer had pus leaching from entire body
turns out the neighbor shoots a 300 black out and shot too far

hunt1up

WKR
I killed a dow a few years ago. She looked totally healthy. It looked just like that inside. Piles and piles and piles of yellow/green foamy slime. No smell really and she looked fine on the hoof, no sign of injury. We didn't eat it.

OP
amateurhourhunter

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I can smell that pic through the computer.

Buzzards gotta eat too
I shot a buck that was like that. I cleaned it up and found an abscess that had ruptured on his liver. Basically his entire body cavity behind the diaphragm was full and was spreading to his hips. His appearance was normal and he was chasing doe that day.
She was super thin. No meat on her for a Dec deer

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
Shot one like that years ago, very skinny and chest cavity filled with that green/yellow puss. Let her lay.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man that’s crazy! We have bucks with abscesses on their eyes but I haven’t seen that before! 🤢

Did you call your Game and Fish department, and see about getting your tag back? My dad killed a buck two years ago that had been shot high shoulder two weeks prior. He didn't notice anything wrong when he shot but when we found it the exit wound of the earlier shot was the size of your fist and full of puss, with a massive abscess in the chest. He called our Game and Fish, and they ended up giving him another tag.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Without knowing more, I cannot say exactly. My guess is an empyema (infection between the chest wall and the lung), she may have gotten it from pneumonia or something else (like being previously shot).

I would throw that whole animal away.

OP
amateurhourhunter

amateurhourhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Did you call your Game and Fish department, and see about getting your tag back? My dad killed a buck two years ago that had been shot high shoulder two weeks prior. He didn't notice anything wrong when he shot but when we found it the exit wound of the earlier shot was the size of your fist and full of puss, with a massive abscess in the chest. He called our Game and Fish, and they ended up giving him another tag.
It was a doe. Pretty much unlimited. That’s good they gave em another tag.

badgerboy

FNG
I have seen similar on two deer. One in Wyoming and one in Nebraska. One muley and one whitetail. One was in the hind quarter and we just tossed that quarter. The other was on the spine and we left the backloins. Both were doing normal activity before harvest and I ate the portions not impacted. No broadhead injuries or visible impacts on either

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk