Proud of my daughters

T3ninja

FNG
Just wanted to do a little bragging again on my daughters. My youngest 6, and oldest 8, have both got to fill tags this year. Took them out for youth season and the both got does. Both dropped, with perfect shots from the 6.5-284.

Interesting thing about that hunt was the configuration of the rifle. I have a tikka .223 set up exactly like the 6.5-284. Cheaper and less punishing for them to practice. Both rifles have XLR chassis. I have a stock setup for them, and one for me. When we got to the field I realized immediately that I had forgot to swap stocks, mine is WAY too long for them to use. So I gave them the option of shooting it with the stock folded. I had them practice dryfiring, and they both assured me that they were confident and could make a good shot. (Rifle is attached to tripod via arca so it's a solid setup).

Right at the end of shooting light 2 does came into the field, 160-170 yards. My youngest was up first, she takes the shot and the deer drops. Kids swap on the rifle, the small one is still standing there, oldest takes the shot and drops the small one!! 2 perfect shots within about 15 seconds of each other!

Fast forward to regular firearms season, my oldest was with me on opening day. It was pretty chilly and she was struggling to stay warm. We had a bunch of does come into the opening but they busted us and blew out. About 30 min later she's shivering and ready to head home, but I spotted a big bodied deer through the woods going across the next field over so we quickly got out of the stand and got to the edge of the other field but never spotted the it again. I had a feeling it turned and headed toward the big opening where we had just left. I had to go back to the stand to get my pack and gloves anyway, and figured the quick little bit of moving around would help her get warmed up. We got back to the stand and I quietly climbed up and spotted the big bodied deer, I was pulling the rifle up as she quietly climbed the ladder. It ended up being a pretty decent 8 point, about 120 yards from the stand. She got up and got settled behind the rifle (with the correct stock this time ) took her time and touched the round off. Buck immediately drops
.IMG_7413.jpeg72200730523__FCE20634-07DD-4317-832B-3F763775B0B8.jpegIMG_7373.jpegIMG_6937.jpegIMG_6935.jpeg

kpk

WKR
Great job to all!
It's nice when the FNG shows up with a good story!

OP
T3ninja

T3ninja

FNG
Thanks fellas, I’ve been lurking here for a long, long time and a member on LRH for years.

Just last night I took my youngest out. We were going to take a stand down. I spotted a bedded buck about 200 yards through the woods. I explained to her how quiet and careful we had to be to put a sneak on him. I couldn’t have been more proud of that kid. A 6 year old little girl put a stalk within 30 yards of a bedded buck, in the timber. He was bedded in a small brushy patch in the middle of big Standing timber. Wind was perfect, until it wasn’t. I felt the wind hit the back of my neck for just a split second. I used the wind puffer and watched the powder go straight toward the buck then come right back at us. He immediately jumped up and took off.

I got to explain to her then how amazing their senses are and the ability to fool their ears and eyes, but never their noses. Excellent learning experience. After the buck took off, she then told me how cold she was lol. We were doing this stalk in a combination of misty rain and sleet/snow. Not one peep of complaint. She’s a rockstar.

OP
T3ninja

T3ninja

FNG
Thank you everyone. I’m going to try to get them out again soon to get hopefully get a couple more before season winds down.

OP
T3ninja

T3ninja

FNG
Thanks everyone! I’m hoping to get them out again but I don’t think they will last long now that it’s pretty cold for them !