Insert/broadhead Issue?

thillman

FNG
Looking to see if anyone has had this happen. I had a broad head slip/pull out of my easton axis arrow after being shot through a deer. I recovered the arrow to find the broad head missing. The threads inside the hit insert look okay. I had zero issues with screwing in the heads and tightening them up. Just curious if anyone has had this happen before. Thanks.

NYSKIER

WKR
Never heard of that, are you sure the broadhead was secure and not wobbling prior to the shot? Did you try to put another broad head in after the fact to check it?

You are saying it passed thru the deer, then lost the broadhead?

I have seen arrows unscrew from broadheads with the broadhead stuck in the animal.

nphunter

WKR
It's possible that it came loose while packing it and after hitting the critter it came all the way out? Weird for sure. I missed a bull one time in thick timber because of a deflection, I found my arrow stuck about 1" into a tree nock first and my broadhead snapped off flush with the front of the arrow and was stuck in the tree beside the arrow like a Chinese star!

Last edited:
OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
Never heard of that, are you sure the broadhead was secure and not wobbling prior to the shot? Did you try to put another broad head in after the fact to check it?
I always tighten em down with a broad head tool. Arrow was not damaged and another broad fit just fine.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
You are saying it passed thru the deer, then lost the broadhead?

I have seen arrows unscrew from broadheads with the broadhead stuck in the animal.
Pass through and then pulled arrow from grass with broadhead missing.

OP
thillman

thillman

FNG
Interesting. What heads? It's possible your hit is inserted a little too deep. Some broadheads have a shorter thread section anyways. How much thread engagement do you have? 2.5 turns?
shooting the slick trick standards and I get about 4.5 - 5 turns.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've only seen that once. I put an arrow through both shoulder blades on a bull and the arrow stayed inside with the BH out one side and the nock end out the other. That bull went 1.5 miles before dropping the arrow, and the BH was gone. The entire arrow was filled with blood, but the insert threads and arrow were fine. Only way I can see your BH coming out would be hitting a rock after the passthrough, but I would expect a "break", not it just disappearing. I've had the breaking BH happen when hitting a rock after passthrough.