Insulated boots

mpb21

FNG
looking to add a set of insulated boots to the line up for cold weather mountain hunting. Looking for a good boot that would go well with this scenario:

1-3 mile strenuous hike in, sit and glass for extended periods in weather from 25 degrees Fahrenheit to 0.

I’ve always gone with uninsulated and good wool socks but this year my feet were cold even after swapping out sweaty socks for dry ones after the hike in.

yfarm

WKR
Similar needs, these are my needs and analysis
2 years ago hunted high altitude in snow with uninsulated Lathrop Mountain hunters with and without arctic shields. Early morning temps single digits mainly stand hunting feet got cold, used arctic shields and was tolerable
Last year same hunt limited snow temps in the early am 15, used a 600 gm hiking boot flex 2 no longer made was comfortable never used the shields.
Son used Schnees 200gm Beartooth was comfortable but wanted a little more but didnt want a flex 3+ boot
I would like a Beartooth in a 600 gm model but not available, their warmer boots are too stiff for me. My Wyoming guide was wearing Kenetrek Mt Extreme 400s and said either those or Crispi Wild Rock Plus. The Kenetreks are stiff boots so by default I am looking at the Crispis. By the way, Arctic Shields sizing is off for a randed boot go up 2 sizes if you want easy off and on. I also have a pr of Whites Cowboy pacs but walking up scree and snow covered slopes is not ideal
To those that might suggest a non randed conventional insulated leather boot, my experience is that moisture penetration resistance is never as good with a welted non randed multpiece upper with a wb liner as with a fullrand one piece upper wb liner boot.

Last edited: