Insulation Ideas

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys looking for some suggestions for insulation. I’m from back East and have been running an original Uncompahgre for my insulation top for the early September hunts I’ve done in Idaho and Colorado. Never really needed to put much thought into insulation as we’ve had really good weather for our hunts. This year we are hunting Region M in WY. for Muley and then Elk the next year late October in Idaho. Id like to get something that is warmer and packs down smaller than my Uncompahgre. For bottoms the Uncompahgre is definitely the cheapest of the big 3 or 4 options but im more concerned with warmth and pack-ability as my hunting partners and i are planning more and more later season hunts.

I have been reading a ton about weight and fill. Down versus synthetic, but id really like some first hand backcountry experience on what you guys think is the best jacket and pants. Not concerned with patterns or what company they come from. just looking for the best top and bottom to keep me warm if the temps plummet.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Post this in the clothing forum

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just a thought....
You might wanna consider focusing on your base layers instead.
FWIW I use the ICONX base layers from Pnuma (the original unheated version) & I stay plenty warm in really cold temps. If I'm moving much at all I usually only need one more layer (like a FL Klamath). I just pack rain gear for precipitation & wind.
Looks like they're phasing them out and carrying only the heated version only now which should be all you'd need.

WCB

WKR
Focus on base layer and wind protection. Also, mid layer. With a good base layer and mid layer I have found zero reason to drag along puffy anything. I've hunted it negative weather and wind glassing sitting ect. Throw on my wind proof layer (rain gear) and good to go. Since you already have the puffy stuff bring them if you want and focus on other portions of your layering.

Reactions: MJB

davitia

FNG
piggybacking on what the rest have said...kiln base, furnace 2nd layer throw in a catalyst or brooks and your puffy and you should be good to go down into the negatives. on the bottom I've ran the furnace then catalyst pant and brought the puffy pants along for sits. That seems to have done the trick for me.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a Duckworth merino hoodie and a Patagonia nanoair puffy and I can stay warm down into the low twenties with that, as long as it’s not terribly windy. If you have a good base layer a lightweight puffy is good enough. And don’t just look at hunting brands, camo doesn’t matter.