Interesting 4/20 marketing by Simms

I think it is just amazing how far apart the states are on this. I live in KY and the large employer I work for has random drug testing. In KY sites testing positive for THC will cause mandatory rehab at best, termination at worst. People I know in the same roles for the same company in California smoke weed without consequence or fear of drug testing.

The Simms ad likely garnered different reactions depending upon the residence of the audience. This thread has been educational for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Kentucky still has what, 10 dry counties?

Pretty backwards for a bourbon state.

MattB

WKR

Once upon a time, 2 veterinarians (my "smart" friends) and I flew into Nashville for a pig hunt on the Cumberland Plateau. One of their goals for the trip as to sample some Tennessee mash whiskey. I suggested we provision up in Nashville, but they knew better and insisted we wait until we get to near the lodge so the food would stay cold. Once we got to the area and located a grocery store, we couldn't find the booze section. Turns out, we were in a dry county. Good news is the Conoco you could see from the parking lot was in the next county and had beer and wine. No whiskey there though. When I asked the clerk about the closest place to buy it, she asked if I knew where Jamestown, TN was. I remembered seeing it on the map and joked "that is almost to Kentucky". She looked back at me and replied "the closest place you can buy whiskey IS in Kentucky."

Luckily they were able to source some moonshine, so the trip wasn't a complete failure.

Once upon a time, 2 veterinarians (my "smart" friends) and I flew into Nashville for a pig hunt on the Cumberland Plateau. One of their goals for the trip as to sample some Tennessee mash whiskey. I suggested we provision up in Nashville, but they knew better and insisted we wait until we get to near the lodge so the food would stay cold. Once we got to the area and located a grocery store, we couldn't find the booze section. Turns out, we were in a dry county. Good news is the Conoco you could see from the parking lot was in the next county and had beer and wine. No whiskey there though. When I asked the clerk about the closest place to buy it, she asked if I knew where Jamestown, TN was. I remembered seeing it on the map and joked "that is almost to Kentucky". She looked back at me and replied "the closest place you can buy whiskey IS in Kentucky."

Luckily they were able to source some moonshine, so the trip wasn't a complete failure.

I made a trip to Kentucky years ago and realized the value of a high end cooler. My buddies made a once a week beer run down there, and kept it on ice all week.

MattB

WKR
I made a trip to Kentucky years ago and realized the value of a high end cooler. My buddies made a once a week beer run down there, and kept it on ice all week.
On another trip we ran out of beer on a Saturday morning, had to make a back-room deal at a c-store since they don't sell alcohol on Sundays (we drove behind the store and the clerk handed a $20 12-pack of Coors Light out the bathroom window to us), and we had to smuggle it into a restaurant to have it for dinner in a closed off back room. The waitress would only serve it to us on the condition that she got one herself.

Those were some weird trips...

On another trip we ran out of beer on a Saturday morning, had to make a back-room deal at a c-store since they don't sell alcohol on Sundays (we drove behind the store and the clerk handed a $20 12-pack of Coors Light out the bathroom window to us), and we had to smuggle it into a restaurant to have it for dinner in a closed off back room. The waitress would only serve it to us on the condition that she got one herself.

County next to me was dry on Sundays til a few years ago.

To top it off, couldn't hunt Sundays either.

fwafwow

WKR

I want to go hunting with you

wesfromky

WKR

I lived in a dry county for a number of years. It is wet now. Next county over (with a couple of nice places to eat) is wet except for Sunday. The wet dry votes have been happening more and more, and I don't think wet has lost recently.

KY just passed medical cannabis, starting up next year, but I doubt recreational will happen anytime soon, even though most of the border states have that now. Regardless, since it is still illegal federally, according to the ATF/FBI you forfeit your 2nd amendment rights if you partake, even if it is medial.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know a single person —regardless of generation— who actually fishes in Montana who would be upset by this. What's the difference between this and Simms posting a picture of a guy drinking a Coors Lite?

The only difference is decades of Government indoctrination to make folks think there is something wrong with Weed but somehow Alcohol is ok.

Do not insult the sport of Golf and compare it to Nascar

Golf is a hobby not a sport.

I never understood people that have to self medicate, but at least heavy pot smokers aren’t breaking into houses to fuel their use - they can’t get motivated to. Kids seem to think nothing bad happens if they only smoke pot - with time the pot heads they grew up with will show how it effected them over time. Life is tough - if you don’t have a clear head it’s tougher. We have a few pot heads in our family, and no surprise, they struggle keeping up with life. It’s their choice - in their echo chamber of friends it’s better to be happy than successful - “Oh, and can I borrow $100?”

So many generalizations here...but hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself go right ahead pal.

Grumman

WKR
I lived in a dry county for a number of years. It is wet now. Next county over (with a couple of nice places to eat) is wet except for Sunday. The wet dry votes have been happening more and more, and I don't think wet has lost recently.

KY just passed medical cannabis, starting up next year, but I doubt recreational will happen anytime soon, even though most of the border states have that now. Regardless, since it is still illegal federally, according to the ATF/FBI you forfeit your 2nd amendment rights if you partake, even if it is medial.

The county I live in was totally dry til a few years ago. Hard telling how many drunk driving incidents were caused by beer runs to wet counties. Another biggie was Indiana staying an hour behind. Folks could shut down a KY bar then drive across the line to an open one in Indiana. I guess that could happen near any time zone but it seemed really bad here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR

Showed them Yeti fellers and didn't miss a truck payment ... Damn straight.

I never understood people that have to self medicate, but at least heavy pot smokers aren’t breaking into houses to fuel their use - they can’t get motivated to. Kids seem to think nothing bad happens if they only smoke pot - with time the pot heads they grew up with will show how it effected them over time. Life is tough - if you don’t have a clear head it’s tougher. We have a few pot heads in our family, and no surprise, they struggle keeping up with life. It’s their choice - in their echo chamber of friends it’s better to be happy than successful - “Oh, and can I borrow $100?”
What’s interesting is all the pot heads I know are quite successful. Must be our company we surround ourselves around.