Interesting 4/20 marketing by Simms

Swamp Fox

WKR
I got a few pot head friends and they don’t understand me just using it as a medicine. They like to get high. I’ve yet to know what getting high is like.

When I was a Marine I made the same comment aloud during a drug awareness class. Why is alcohol legal but weed isn’t? 8 drug tests over the next 6 weeks.

They put it on your permanent record.

You should see what they have you down for in high school.

: )

OP

WKR
For context I have not seen the actual post since personally I am not on social media, just an anonymous hunting forum.

As an advertising guy myself the reason I say this will have no effect on revenue is because A. you physically cannot track this posts effect on any earned revenue if there is not direct conversion link, and B. anyone who was offended by a pot banana will forget about it by the end of this week.

IMO this was a throw away post that Simms marketing whipped up to respond to a popular holiday - was soley meant to grab eyes and it did.

My assertion is more that this post will not cost Simms a cent in lost revenue due to backlash + posting on instagram costs nothing more than an hour of someones salary.

The post has been removed by Simms. Interesting.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
The first time I mixed weed with fishing was around 2007-2008 and a group of us from The Drake message board got together to fish the Catskills for a few days. I hadn't smoked since high school and had no tolerance at all, but had no issues with it and happily took my turn each time the bowl made its way around camp. 45 minutes later I was standing in the middle of the Delaware in awe of all the different species of bugs coming from upstream. Who knows how long I stood there staring at the water. Ended up not even fishing after that point, it was too much work, so I just sat on the bank and chilled out till it was time to head back to camp. At that point in my life, I was all about aggressively targeting the biggest fish in the river. I drove several hours and spent several hundred dollars and who knows how many hours tying flies and researching where to fish, and I wasted one of the best evenings sitting on the bank, right by a world class river full of rising fish. I felt like weed made me lose focus and be less productive so I swore it off. Not that booze was any better, but at least when you're drinking, you feel like you're just as focused and productive as when you're sober, even when you're not.

The Simms marketing team is top notch, and it knows their target audience pretty well. I would guess that they're targeting a younger demographic who as far as I can tell, don't see weed as a criminal thing- even where its still illegal. Most of the people who still hold onto the old marijuana stigmas aren't even on instagram, so they'll never get the chance to be offended.

Mt Al

WKR
Disappointed in this whole discussion and all y'all. Unless I missed it, not one mention of naming flies after 420/weed/holy-herb themes in 8 pages. Get with the program! Not good at this but I'll start:

Weed-head nymph
Mis-Jointed streamer
Purple Haze - crud, that's taken
Twice Baked Stoned Fly
Mary Jane's Munchie Moth

Not to worry,should be more worried about all the wiskey drinkers getting behind the wheel than some grass.
I cant wait till I retire and can partake.
I hate alcohol and all the negatives it has on me.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Except for cane poles, dabblin' poles, and such ...

On a related note:

Lines are for anglers, writers and sailors ... Ropes are for cowboys.

Not to say cowboys don't sometimes have good lines ...
Every time someone calls a line a rope, I get the urge to push them overboard. Give em the Goldie Hawn treatment.

UncleBone

WKR
To them this wasn't a polarizing statement, maybe thats the answer you're looking for. They will be an industry leader a year from now too. Their biggest competition is Patagonia, who as I'm sure you are well aware makes pretty "polarizing" statements as well.

Edit: Orvis never seems to say anything, people can go there for second rate waders.
Besides them saying they will pay for their employees and employees direct family members to have abortions. Seems a lot more polarizing than a little bit of weed.

UncleBone

WKR
I lived in a dry county for a number of years. It is wet now. Next county over (with a couple of nice places to eat) is wet except for Sunday. The wet dry votes have been happening more and more, and I don't think wet has lost recently.

KY just passed medical cannabis, starting up next year, but I doubt recreational will happen anytime soon, even though most of the border states have that now. Regardless, since it is still illegal federally, according to the ATF/FBI you forfeit your 2nd amendment rights if you partake, even if it is medial.
Federal judge, in I believe Oklahoma ruled that is unconstitutional recently.