Introducing friend to Archery

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Getting a buddy into compound bow hunting. Any opinions ideas on a first setup? I recently sold my two older bows otherwise I would set that up for him. Used/New or any good complete starter bows? He is on the shorter size and I think his draw will be around 27.5". Any input is appreciated.

Dunndm

WKR
I started with a “bear wild”. I personally loved it for a first bow since it was I think 499.99 or 399.99 for a complete setup RTH. Draw was universal to 19-30 or 21-30? Poundage was good from 39-70 I believe. I know I’m throwing out approximately what it is. But bottom line it was a great bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
I started with a “bear wild”. I personally loved it for a first bow since it was I think 499.99 or 399.99 for a complete setup RTH. Draw was universal to 19-30 or 21-30? Poundage was good from 39-70 I believe. I know I’m throwing out approximately what it is. But bottom line it was a great bow.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at several Bear setups, good to know you liked yours.

not exactly considered a starter bow but my first bow is a hoyt defiant. love the thing. found it on this forum actually. just what worked for me. definitely keep an eye on archery talk and the classifieds here

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Most Quality bows less than a decade old should do the trick for getting started. I’d look for something with “modern” technology and a forgiving brace height.

derricklay23

Lil-Rokslider
I think the best thing for him to do is to go to a local pro shop and try as many bows as possible! Than after that if looking for a good deal check classifieds on AT or maybe Facebook marketplace!

I would not pick a bow for him. He has to do that. New/used is up to budget and what he likes to shoot. Take him to the shop and let him shoot all the bows. There are great deals on nib elites for under $400. But that would be a waste if he doesn’t like the bow. Shoot bows then find what he likes in his budget.

EKyhookr

FNG
Yea you definitely can’t pick a bow for him, take him to a shop and shoot all the bows they’ll let him shoot. You may like one bow and he likes something completely different.
Just starting out tho I’d look for a smooth drawing long ata bow