Iowa.

Got a couple points already and had plans to keep building up for a chance at bowhunting the rut in one of the Southern zones 4-6.

Lately having a bit of chance of heart and thinking about using those points next year on late muzzleloader. What y’all think? Would it be worth to hit Iowa once every 2-3yrs for ML or wait for the bowhunt?

I'm not an archer, so I'm going to suggest muzzle.

I'm not a NR also, so I'd suggest as often as you could and maybe mix in other states/hunts, to swing a bow hunt at some point too.

I'd suggest 5, 8 or 9 for zones, and pray for snow/hunt later seasons, it elevates the entire experience.

OP
rolltide05
Thanks for the advice. Currently hunting multiple states along with my home state of Alabama. My original plan was to wait it out for a bow opportunity but the enticement of hunting in those nasty conditions has started to make me swing my intentions.

Thanks for the advice. Currently hunting multiple states along with my home state of Alabama. My original plan was to wait it out for a bow opportunity but the enticement of hunting in those nasty conditions has started to make me swing my intentions.
Thinking I miss read that. You are wanting to hunt in the worse conditions of late muzzleloader?

First I'd say get the iowa dnr app, maps are pretty good, all info one place. Maybe they recommend that, not sure:

Screenshot_20221219-074257.jpg

Next, my question is what's your cold tolerance? It's not unlikely to get teens + blowing 20+mph+ sleet/snow.

You planning to camp as you hunt, or day hunts?

If you're looking for nasty seasons, I'd do muzzle (again, not familiar with bow, not a bow guy). Scout novemeber.

I'm guessing diy-public land? If so, hit us up, I'm sure one of us iowa guys will scout with you, I'm always down for an excuse to be outdoors.

Imo, west/northwest Iowa is different geographically than Eastern. @jjohnsonElknewbie I think is out in western iowa.

Knowing what I know, I'd go 9/8 first, 5 second but for different reasons. You looking for antlers or meat, or an iowa hunt?

I archery hunted zone 5 this fall, I was disappointed in the quality of deer I saw. So I’m not waiting five years to hunt that area again.
what county were you in? While 5 seems to get the most attention, i actually think its over pressured and more...predatory....from all parties, and quality is low.

id still suggest many parts of 8/9 over 5, to the point when i lived in 5, i still went 8/9.

OP
rolltide05
First I'd say get the iowa dnr app, maps are pretty good, all info one place. Maybe they recommend that, not sure:

View attachment 489852

Next, my question is what's your cold tolerance? It's not unlikely to get teens + blowing 20+mph+ sleet/snow.

If you're looking for nasty seasons, I'd do muzzle (again, not familiar with bow, not a bow guy). Scout novemeber.

I'm guessing diy-public land? If so, hit us up, I'm sure one of us iowa guys will scout with you, I'm always down for an excuse to be outdoors.

Imo, west/northwest Iowa is different geographically than Eastern. @jjohnsonElknewbie I think is out in western iowa.

Knowing what I know, I'd go 9/8 first, 5 second but for different reasons. You looking for antlers or meat, or an iowa hunt?
I’m pretty good with cold weather. I’m good in the high teens and 20’s with just the stratus set.

I’m up for either DIY or outfitter. This past November I had my first outfitter experience and still have mixed feelings on the idea of doing it again.

I’m primarily looking for antlers and the experience.

View attachment 489852

Agree with @Trackerbacker on the geography/topography differences between Eastern IA and Western IA. Even more important is the difference in pressure. Probably 2/3s of the population in IA lives in the eastern half of the state. In addition, most of the largest/popular public areas are in the eastern half as well. That being said, the Midwest Whitetail and Hunting Public guys manage to find good bucks in zone 5 and other areas in that part of the state on a consistent basis.

Given the amount of pressure and general lack of public hunting in Iowa, if you're going DIY and want the opportunity for a mature buck in the 125-150" range, IMO/IME late season muzzleloader is your best bet. This is especially true in really hard winter years, which this one is shaping up to be so far (forecasting -37 and -35 windchills on Th and Fr this week). Snow and frigid temps make eating the number 1 priority for post rut bucks. They cannot avoid it and don't have the luxury of eating whenever its convenient. I'd bet any amount of money that by the weekend (if not sooner) guys' food plots will have deer hammering them starting early afternoon (2p or sooner) from here on out now that second shotgun is over. Especially any standing crops. When it's frigid, the deer also change their bedding patterns. For example, those deer that are willing to travel a mile or more to preferred feed can and often due stay much closer if there is available cover. Brushy wooly fence rows (wild plums, horse weeds, etc...) and draws that cut the wind that are adjacent to quality feed can hold a ton of deer when the weather gets nasty.

I'm a bowhunter and gun hunter, and love the action of the rut. However, if I'm focusing on a trophy buck, IME, you have the best odds late due to the ability to pattern their behavior more consistently. The colder and nastier the weather the better during late season, and if you prepare for it, you definitely have an advantage. If you go this route though, make sure to bank extra time for scouting. It may take several evenings of glassing ag fields at a distance to find a buck your after and then to build a strategy around movements. Don't forget, by this time of the season, deer have been hunted for 3 months and are leery, especially those old magnum does. Their heads are always on a swivel, and they are much less tolerant of minor mistakes with the wind or movement.

I’m pretty good with cold weather. I’m good in the high teens and 20’s with just the stratus set.

I’m up for either DIY or outfitter. This past November I had my first outfitter experience and still have mixed feelings on the idea of doing it again.

If you're looking for a trophy hunt, a good place to start is by reviewing the harvest report available on the DNR website.

https://gooutdoorsiowa.com/RealTimeHarvestReport.aspx

Copy and paste the info into a spreadsheet and sort counties by the number of antlered deer harvested. Narrow to the top 10 counties and then sort again by the zone(s) that have the most adjacent counties that produce the most antlered bucks. In general you'll find that NE, SE, and S, parts of the state have the most antlered deer killed. That being said, this is also influenced by the sheer number of hunters in those parts of the state as well.

There are several good "sleeper" counties in the western half of the state in the Raccoon River drainage that offer legitimate trophy potential. They also typically get much less hunting pressure. I recommend you do some research in zone 4, and you may be pleasantly surprised by the quality of deer in this part of the state. There are also several good outfitters in this area, and Drop Tine Outfitters in Guthrie county has been in business a long time.

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
what county were you in? While 5 seems to get the most attention, i actually think its over pressured and more...predatory....from all parties, and quality is low.

id still suggest many parts of 8/9 over 5, to the point when i lived in 5, i still went 8/9.
Wayne County. What you’re saying is exactly what I experienced, I saw several bucks around 120” but nothing bigger. Mature deer seemed to be very far and few between.
I’m looking at 9 for next time

zone 9 and skip the outfitter. set up for camp.
Agree with @Trackerbacker on the geography/topography differences between Eastern IA and Western IA. Even more important is the difference in pressure. Probably 2/3s of the population in IA lives in the eastern half of the state. In addition, most of the largest/popular public areas are in the eastern half as well. That being said, the Midwest Whitetail and Hunting Public guys manage to find good bucks in zone 5 and other areas in that part of the state on a consistent basis.

Given the amount of pressure and general lack of public hunting in Iowa, if you're going DIY and want the opportunity for a mature buck in the 125-150" range, IMO/IME late season muzzleloader is your best bet. This is especially true in really hard winter years, which this one is shaping up to be so far (forecasting -37 and -35 windchills on Th and Fr this week). Snow and frigid temps make eating the number 1 priority for post rut bucks. They cannot avoid it and don't have the luxury of eating whenever its convenient. I'd bet any amount of money that by the weekend (if not sooner) guys' food plots will have deer hammering them starting early afternoon (2p or sooner) from here on out now that second shotgun is over. Especially any standing crops. When it's frigid, the deer also change their bedding patterns. For example, those deer that are willing to travel a mile or more to preferred feed can and often due stay much closer if there is available cover. Brushy wooly fence rows (wild plums, horse weeds, etc...) and draws that cut the wind that are adjacent to quality feed can hold a ton of deer when the weather gets nasty.

I'm a bowhunter and gun hunter, and love the action of the rut. However, if I'm focusing on a trophy buck, IME, you have the best odds late due to the ability to pattern their behavior more consistently. The colder and nastier the weather the better during late season, and if you prepare for it, you definitely have an advantage. If you go this route though, make sure to bank extra time for scouting. It may take several evenings of glassing ag fields at a distance to find a buck your after and then to build a strategy around movements. Don't forget, by this time of the season, deer have been hunted for 3 months and are leery, especially those old magnum does. Their heads are always on a swivel, and they are much less tolerant of minor mistakes with the wind or movement.
this.

FYI for jjohnson, tangent, just picked up my january anterless for allamakee and winn, on sale today fyi (zone 9 for OP).

I think the quality on public in 5 may be below average due to pressure. However, quality on private is exceptional if a guy can find access. There are too many giants killed in that zone every year to make a blanket statement on overall quality. The Kisky's, Drury's, LaKosky's, etc..., operate out of zones 5 & 6, and they're making a pretty good living doing it.

Wayne County. What you’re saying is exactly what I experienced, I saw several bucks around 120” but nothing bigger. Mature deer seemed to be very far and few between.
I’m looking at 9 for next time
good deal, sorry the luck was down.

i tend to be a meat hunter and experience over antlers, though the below link is what is at the average mark for zones 8/9. this was a case of management of a restoration area the DNR has. too many oak saplings being beat up (natural plantings).

I think the quality on public in 5 may be below average due to pressure. However, quality on private is exceptional if a guy can find access. There are too many giants killed in that zone every year to make a blanket statement on overall quality. The Kisky's, Drury's, LaKosky's, etc..., operate out of zones 5 & 6, and they're making a pretty good living doing it.
i dont disagree, but its hard to judge an overall zones (public) offerings based upon the private lands management unless we are strictly talking outfitters.

edit- to the point that i would say if private guys (both quantity and quality) were in NEIA, that allamakee, winn, clayton, fayette would far suppress zone 5

Thunder17

FNG
Classified Approved
I hunted private in 5, but believe it was way over hunted in previous years. Seemed like the property had great potential, just lacking management. I agree there’s definitely giants in 5 every year.

edit- to the point that i would say if private guys (both quantity and quality) were in NEIA, that allamakee, winn, clayton, fayette would far suppress zone 5
Agree 100%

The river drainages, bluffs, steep cliffs, and difficult terrain in those counties provides opportunities for bucks to survive and reach maturity. All things being equal, they have tremendous trophy potential.

I hunted private in 5, but believe it was way over hunted in previous years. Seemed like the property had great potential, just lacking management. I agree there’s definitely giants in 5 every year.
5, like several other IA counties, has experienced a lot of EHD mortality over the last 5 years as well. My home county (Carroll) has been hit very hard in past 3 years of moderate to severe drought. Many, many, trophy bucks (150+) were found dead again this year just after velvet. It's gotta be a tough way to go too.

OMB

WKR
A couple things to keep in mind for 9: A) best food sources are going to be on private that you'll have difficulty accessing and B) a good amount of bucks have already started to shed already. Depending how hard the rut was, it's not uncommon for us to have antlers pop off as early as Gun 1, I wouldn't want to trophy hunt late season in that area.