To Non Residents Considering Wyoming Moose Preference Points

Jethro

WKR
They won't unless they figure out how to do it without devaluing the investment those 12,000 people have made.
Wouldn't the bonus point system automatically increase the value of having/buying points? It would for all those people you just showed currently have 0% chance of ever drawing. It would suck for the highest point holders.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Wouldn't the bonus point system automatically increase the value of having/buying points? It would for all those people you just showed currently have 0% chance of ever drawing. It would suck for the highest point holders.
It would give a very slight chance of drawing yearly to everyone but even for high point holders, chances of drawing actually go down yearly because they attract more and more people to the game. Instead of 2k people getting in yearly, that number would exponentially grow diluting the pool so far that even the highest point holder would have less than a 1% chance. It basically becomes a super tag drawing with a few more winners at random levels.

wapitibob

WKR

Bonus points would help slightly, also the 50/50 pp/random Buzz was working on would have helped a little but it was also shot down. If I remember correctly, he and rep Western were working on a change but it would be a 2025 legislative issue.

Overdrive

WKR
I quit buying Moose and Sheep PP when they doubled the fee, isn't worth it and who's to say they don't double the fee again and again and again...........

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
I quit buying Moose and Sheep PP when they doubled the fee, isn't worth it and who's to say they don't double the fee again and again and again...........
I think it is a guarantee the fee continues to rise. The actual tag is worth 5-10X what they are charging for it. People would line up to buy them at 10k each.

Maverick1

WKR
chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

Im sure he will be providing similar comment to limit the amount of NR deer, antelope, and elk tags too. Thanks for the cash suckers. Did i mention he rubbed it in their faces here and on hunttalk.
I believe he is banned from this site.

Maverick1

WKR
I dropped out of the WY PP game for those species several years ago when they increased the cost to purchase a PP and simultaneously started decreasing the number of tags issued.

Even at 10 PP (or so) the only “chance” to draw was on the random side; situation has not improved since then. As @wapitibob mentions, a calculator is a useful tool.

And to the people that bought their first PP this year - WTF????

wytx

WKR
Buzz and BHA did get the 90/10 passed, almost every resident in the state wanted it passed.
They helped facilitate spreading the word for sure.

And I agree buying PP now is almost foolish, not sure I would trash any double digit PPs but apply for the areas with the random tags.
I saw the writing on the wall for Colorado years ago let my PPs go, well they still show up for some reason but I am no longer applying down there.

chairman of WY Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Buzz Hettick went and provided official comment in support of robbing NR the chance to hunt the big 5 after years of points purchases. All while simulatiously asking NR residents to donate money to fund and support the corner crossing case.

I believe he is banned from this site.

There is nobody on any hunting forum on the entire world wide web that I despise more than that man.

Good riddance.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
And to the people that bought their first PP this year - WTF????
I really think that many people are just blindly buying them. They log on and just think it would be cool to shoot a moose some day without doing any research. Again, heck of a racket.

If someone is that stupid to buy a moose point without knowing the odds, I say let them.

Rich M

WKR
1 in 300 or 500 odds aint too bad. Better than most blind draws. I have no desire to shoot a long legged horse.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I really think that many people are just blindly buying them. They log on and just think it would be cool to shoot a moose some day without doing any research. Again, heck of a racket.
If preference points were $10, or $20, I could see that. Who the heck blindly throws out $150 without at least checking how many tags they give out per year? Surely someone with that much money would also have no issues spending $4000 on a Canada hunt which you could do every year if you had the money. Looks like cow hunts are even less than that.

Jimss

WKR
Pretty pricey for almost 0 draw odds. The WG&F could always change to bonus pts or some other system but is it really worth $50 to $150/year/species for 0 to almost 0 draw odds? I'm sure the WG&F has lost quite a bit of easy $ as more and more nonres have dropped out of their funky draw system.

Colo is pretty much opposite and is the most nonres friendly state in the West. The CPW is well aware that nonres $ is significant and easy revenue they don't get from the same tag or pref pts bought by residents.

If preference points were $10, or $20, I could see that. Who the heck blindly throws out $150 without at least checking how many tags they give out per year? Surely someone with that much money would also have no issues spending $4000 on a Canada hunt which you could do every year if you had the money. Looks like cow hunts are even less than that.
Find me a $4000 Canada moose hunt please.

Brianc

FNG
Sounds like should spend money on something else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnsd16

WKR
I do points in 8 states and multiple species for me/my boys. A few years ago I considered jumping in for sheep/moose in WY and elected not to. I WAS going to do it for each boy when they hit 12 but after 90/10 the math didn’t work out. If you want to play the odds for the random tags you can jump in or out whenever you want.

For the people who are still buying the expensive point with no actual chance of ever drawing from the point pool I can see two sides.

One is poor ethics or a misrepresentation by WYFG by taking peoples money for something they can almost 100% never have. The other is that if folks want to waste money on things there are certainly worse places for the money to go. As much as we often disagree with them, Fish & Game agencies are needed for us hunters. If the money was just going to end up as Jack & Coke and blackjack then I guess buy the moose point.

ckleeves

WKR
Pretty much all states are relying on people being bad at math when it comes to Moose draws. Look at Idaho (best odds in the west) at whatever it was this last year out of pocket for a moose app (I think 330.00 ish) average it to 5% odds and your looking at 20 years X 333.00= 6,600.00 plus 2626.00 when you draw and your at 9,286.00 before you even start the hunt! and that’s if the odds hold and the prices don’t increase (which neither of those things are going to happen).

You should still be able to DIY AK for 10k and have way more of an adventure and not have to wait 20 years.