Iphone Geotagging with no cell service?

How does the iPhone do with no cell service and geotagging photos? I've read that since it uses multiple ways of triangulation (cell, gps, and wifi) that using only one will not give very accurate results. Curious as to what others experiences have been.

Thanks.

The GPS is quite accurate with a clear view of the sky. I've used it outside of cell service quite a bit. In fact I've used an iPad for field data gathering (for work), and the difference between Apple and Garmin wasn't detectable to me.

OP
Freedombyforce
Ok... thanks guys. Is there anyway to tell if the phone is locked on to a gps short of taking the picture and seeing if it has the geo info on it? For instance, you have the phone off to conserve battery and turn it on. When would you know it is ready to tag the picture?

OP
Freedombyforce
After doing more research into the iphones gps I've learned some pretty exciting news. With the latest update, 8.3 I believe, the iphone's gps is now enabled in airplane mode. So, you can turn airplane mode on to turn off all cellular to conserve battery and still use the gps for map apps or geotagging. You can go a step further and go to privacy, and location services to turn off everything except the map app you are using and camera, or if you are using a handheld gps you can turn everything off except the camera to tag for scouting.

I use Trimble GPS Hunt and OnXMaps Hunt. Perhaps I'm not using them correctly but I can't find anywhere that I can enter a gps coordinate in order to find a waypoint. Does anyone else have experience with this? If these apps don't perform this what app are you using?

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
After doing more research into the iphones gps I've learned some pretty exciting news. With the latest update, 8.3 I believe, the iphone's gps is now enabled in airplane mode. So, you can turn airplane mode on to turn off all cellular to conserve battery and still use the gps for map apps or geotagging. You can go a step further and go to privacy, and location services to turn off everything except the map app you are using and camera, or if you are using a handheld gps you can turn everything off except the camera to tag for scouting.

I could not get this to work on either an iPad 2 or an iPhone 6 each running 8.4 iOS.

OP
Freedombyforce
I tried it last night leaving work with it in airplane mode. Took pics at intersections where I knew the location. It didn't label the pictures with a location, I assume because it needs the map to call it a name instead of a coordinate, but as soon as I turned the service back on it labeled the pictures. I imported the pics into Basecamp and it spotted them correctly on the map. As mentioned, if you are going to use your phone for nav, then you'll need an app to cache them. I'm just using it as a camera and this should save a ton of battery. I'm running 8.4 on a Iphone 6.