Irish Whiskey

Trial153

WKR
A 16 or 21 bottle of Bushmills is drinkable. Knappouge has single malt that is very think it's the 18 or maybe 16.

KBC

WKR
Just picked up a bottle of Writer's Tears Copper pot that's decent. It's about $60 Canadian so that's probably about $20 USD ;)

robtattoo

WKR
Jesus...... showing my age here:

When i was a kid growing up in England in the 70s & early 80s we always used to joke that you "drink scotch if you want to get hammered, Irish if you wanna get bombed!"

*sigh. Growing up under the shadow of weekly terrorist attacks really messes with a kid's sense of humor.

TheGDog

WKR
Bit of Trivia I learn from a former co-worker that visited Ireland:

RE: Bushmills vs. Jameson

As you know parts of Ireland are Catholic and Parts are I guess Protestant. So anyway, apparently you need to mindful about which side of town you're on in regard to which whiskey you ask for in a bar. Because apparently one of them is run buy a Catholic owned business and the other is owned by Protestants... and apparently locals can get real testy if you try to order the wrong thing on the wrong side of town!

Like 'em both. But I lean toward Bushmill's. For some reason it has the least hangover type effects of any alcohol I've ever tried. And I'm supposing heredity may play some part in that because I think my maternal Grandmothers maiden name denoted Irish descent, as I recall. So got to thinking that could totally make sense since they'd no doubt strive to make what they thought was the best. And if our innards are similar genetically, stands to reason that could be why their spirits sit well with me.

Just had a thought, how about the idea of getting your friend a high grade bottle of Absinthe? Quality Absinthe is very pleasant. And I like the ritual of pouring it thru the sugarcube on the special spoon and then lighting the sugarcube on fire to caramelize it, and once the cube is visible breaking down you then pour the smallish amount of cool water over-it/thru-it it as it sits upon that special spoon, then ya swirl it all and the partially melted sugar evenly disburses into the solution. Not to mention the fact that Absinthes are usually a high proof too!

Flyjunky

WKR
No question about it, Jamison 18.

It puts everything else here to shame.

Whisky

WKR
I dabbled a little (or a lot) in the Irish this weekend.
L to R, in order of my preference.

Attachments

• 20210109_170226.jpg
    20210109_170226.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 15

badshot

Lil-Rokslider
For this purpose at but not over the $100 its Redbreast 12 cask strength all the way.

Dented

WKR
My standard was Redbreast for several years, until I was given a bottle of Powers John Lane Special. The Redbreast is very good, but the JLS is just a bit better.