Irish Whiskey

Jameson on the rocks is fine. I've also tried teeling, writers tears (uncle's a writer so he always gets that as a holiday gift), and red breast lusteau... but the one I have been coming back to most often is green spot. I take it neat and it tastes like those butter cookies out of the blue tins; you know... grandma's sewing kit. For Irish, that's my favorite sipper and wins out the others by a fair margin on taste vs price. Total wine carries it for about $50 per 750ml around these parts.
RB:L is at about $80, Jameson at ~$20, writers tears $45.

Green Spot takes the cake for me.

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
I'm a big fan of Jameson Black. It's my favorite Irish I've tried thus far, but to put that in perspective, Red Breast 12 is about the most expensive one I've compared it too.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I think Irish whisky is great and there are so many tasty ones. Currently for me it's Midleton for something special and Clonakilty for something more frequent, Many of the others mentioned ie Redbreast 12, 15, 21; Writers Tears; etc are great as well. I prefer neat. Recently, I have been making Manhattans with Clonalkilty, which are really good imo.

Last edited:

OH_Tony

FNG
depending what you want to spend if you can find the Redbreast Cask strength it is very good. Not cheap but very good. Blue Spot was my favorite of the spots that I have tried but most are good.

Some of you guys might shake your head a little bit, but the Jamison orange is shockingly good in my opinion. First time ever trying a flavored whiskey, but even my wife who isn’t much of a drinker helped me polish off the biggest share of a bottle one evening. 😂

crgchck

Lil-Rokslider
Since there was a post about Scotch, figured I'd get some suggestions on Irish Whiskey. I usually save my Scotch for when I have a good friend(s) over, or when I need to simply ponder life. Usually smoke my pipe with it too. But my go to "daily drinker", well not quite daily, usually a couple drinks a week, is Irish Whiskey on the rocks, easy ice. My go to recently has been Proper Twelve, which I actually like better than Jameson. Right now I'm trying to finish up a bottle of Jameson Black, just finished a Proper Twelve, but looking to try something different. I've had Bushmills red and black, which are ok, I really liked the Teeling finished in rum casks, you really get that sweet rum hints in there. Been wanting to try Slane, but haven't yet. Any other suggestions out there?
We may not agree on this as I’m more of a Jameson instead of proper twelve.. the first time I had proper, I really liked it. 2nd go around, seemed to give me an odd feel.. like if I had another drink or 2 I’d get a headache. Almost as if it were rubbing alcohol.. enough of that… the best Irish I’ve ever had was/is red breast.. second to that is the lively Jameson. Very hard to get in the states but it’s really smooth at all temps.. I’m not an ice guy but do love a bottle straight out of the freezer… some Irish and scotches, are better one way or other.. ice cold or room temp.. the lively is frigging great any temp… you talked me into taking a sip