Iron Will Components Interchangability

Bwatson

FNG
Hello. I'm new here. Been searching for a couple months and even tried Iron Will's "contact us" but can't seem to find an answer to my question. So hoping someone on here may be able to help or maybe the owner or lead designer (Bill I think it is) can weigh in.
Looking to upgrade broadheads this year and have 2 applications. Have heard pretty much nothing but great reviews on Iron Will and they seem to have a plethora of options. Shooting whitetail out to 40-45 yards max. Been shooting Slick Trick Grizztricks for probably the last 4-5 years and haven't had issues with penetration even with the large 1.25 x 1.25 cut but looking for something more durable. My previous setup was a 70# shooting 430gr TAW (125gr grizztrick) at ~280ish fps. I've upgraded bows for this year and will be getting a lot more energy.

Application #1: Compound 75#, 29" draw ~550gr TAW (assuming 150gr head) shooting about 275fps.
I'm interested in the 150gr Wide Solids. This new bow setup has no lack of KE, momentum, whatever you think is needed for penetration. So from the research I've done it does not sound like I should have any issues shooting the Wide. I like the idea of the 1-3/8" wide main blade.

Application #2: I want to finally hunt with the recurve I've had for a few years. Been practicing and feel like I'll be ready this Fall. 47# Recurve shooting a 650gr arrow roughly 140-150fps. Keeping my shots to 20 yards, maybe push to 25 in a perfect situation but prefer to stick to 20 and under.
My thought was to get the 150gr Wide Solids for my compound then 1 of 2 things.
1. Try these from the recurve. Think that's asking too much? I feel it probably is. I may need to ask this in the Traditional Section but starting here.
2. Switch the blades out for the single-bevel blades on the same ferrule.

I heard one of the nice things about the IW over a solid machined head is the ability to swap out blades for different applications but sent a msg to Iron Will's "contact us" a couple months ago because their components interchangeability did not cover the single bevel or the wide solids last I checked and I wanted to be sure. I got no response. So about a week ago I sent another question and this time just got a short response of "No they do not interchange". And that was it.

What is it about the single bevel blades vs the Wide Solids that the ferrules are different? Screw location? Blade thickness maybe so the machined slots in the ferrule are different widths?

Was really hoping I could buy 6 of the 150gr Solid Wides and then just buy the SB replacement blades and bleeders when they get back in stock. Would be a heck of an investment to buy 12 full heads for both my applications.

Thanks in advance.

Tartan

WKR
what do you think is asking too much about using the 150 wide on a traditional bow?

I'll be running the solid wides out of my trad bow this year and expect nothing but pass throughs if given the opportunity to use them.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Thanks Tartan. I just never hunted with the recurve yet but the majority of heads I've seen suggested for Trad are the classic 3:1 style or close to that. Most heads intended for Trad are around the 1" to 1-1/16" maybe up to 1-1/8". I'm definitely a believer in 2 holes (in & out) so don't want to inhibit penetration for such a low KE setup.

Not Vegan

FNG
Go wides for both. Keep them sharp and your golden. You can also take the bleeders out for less friction if you want. I'm 99% you will be fine. Good luck.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Awesome. Thanks Not Vegan. In my first msg to IW where I didn't get a response I asked about removing the bleeders and if that would effect the structural integrity of the head. I wondered if they couldn't be removed completely if grinding the bleeders down just to help the main blade stay intact would suffice.
You guys are saving me money if I can stick to just one broadhead setup for both bows. Much appreciated!

I think too much is made of the 3:1 trad style heads. That geometry is more prone to bent tips when impacting bone. As for the wides, it really depends on your recurve setup. At 140-150 fps I think you'd probably be better off with a standard width if you plan to shoot elk. I'm getting 180ish fps with 500 grain arrows out of my recurve and I'd probably hesitate to shoot the wide cuts on big hogs and elk, if that helps any.

But if we're talking about deer, I think you can shoot the wide cut with no hesitation.

Reactions: Zac

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The wide solids are a favorite of many of my trad friends so I think they would work well for both of your set ups. You can swap those blades, but the wide solid blades weigh 25 grains more that the S series or Single Bevel blades. We just implemented a better system for tracking all customer questions coming in, so hopefully we won't miss any going forward. Feel free to message me here and I should respond within a couple of days, unless I'm traveling or on a hunt.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
This is great. I’m just going after deer so sounds like the wides will be fine.
That’s great to know that the blades will swap but will just be a different weight. So the ferrule from the 150 wide solids using the single bevel blade and bleeders would be a 125gr. I could always make that up with insert weight if I decide to go that route. I do like the idea of a single bevel.
Much appreciated.
Will be ordering the 150 wide solids soon.
BTW - any plans for a wider single bevel? Seems like there would be a market for that.
Thanks again everyone!

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Also forgot to ask... what is the ferrule diameter on those 150 solid wides? I’m playing with footers/impact collars but shooting standard diameter carbons so it’s like shooting aluminum diameter arrows.
So as to not have a flat shoulder where the broadhead meets the collar, looking for a ferrule diameter of around 0.345.
Also - on the 150 solid wide, is that a titanium or SS ferrule? Thanks!

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes on the blade swap question, no on more single bevel models this year at least, and 5/16" is the ferrule diameter. You could shoot our XWide150 crossbow heads if you want the 11/32 diameter (.344). They are the same except for the ferrule diameter.

gelton

WKR
We just implemented a better system for tracking all customer questions coming in, so hopefully we won't miss any going forward. Feel free to message me here and I should respond within a couple of days, unless I'm traveling or on a hunt.
I would like to say that Iron Will and @Bill V have really stepped up their game as of late. Initially, customer service was a bit rocky but in my dealings with them recently they have exceeded my expectations.

Was looking at possibly moving to the Axis Long Range 4mm and built up a cart full of components and decided to stick with the BE Rampage because I didnt trust that the Snyder Core System would be ready in time.

I ended up building a new order and forgot to exchange the Snyder Core Broadheads for the solid 125's. The items shipped out the next day and I had them in my hands very shortly thereafter....ended up having to exchange the broadheads and their customer service team was quick to respond and has been great with communication during that process.

I Shoulda considered the 4mm with the Snyder Core had I known they would ship that fast. Perfect example of a great mind (Bill) that knows what to delegate and to who.

OP
B

Bwatson

FNG
Thanks Bill! You’re out of stock on the xwides so I put my email in to notify me when back in stock.
appreciate the help!