Is 22-250 "enough gun" on wolves?

N.ID7803

WKR
I shot three recently (one large, two one-year olds) with 30-06 using Hornady 178 gr ELD-X; all three were neck/head shots in the 20-35 yard range and all dropped immediately. Exit holes were large, but my cartridge selection was based on bear/moose, so .22-250 would be smaller than I’m comfortable with. Any recommendations on a .30 bullet that I could carry in addition to the ELD-X should I happen on wolves in the future?
Accubonds in 180gr if you can find em.

I’ve never shot a wolf, but I can tell you this, a few years ago I was looking to invest in a new rifle for my wife and kids. The guy at the gun store talked me into a 22-250 loaded with 60 grain nosler partitions. Said him and his wife had killed dozens of big mule deer with it and that I would be amazed. He wasn’t wrong….. At this point, between me, my kids, friends, and family, with doe tags and buck tags we have shot somewhere in the vicinity of 50 deer with that rifle. I have been literally astounded how effective it is at bringing down a deer, including some really mature bucks, even at a distance. I would imagine it would be more than adequate for a wolf. I have found it to be one of the most effective cartridges I have ever used, with zero recoil and incredible devastation. I think a lot of people don’t believe me when I tell them how good it is on deer, but I have the results to prove it. I have seen it kill with shots from neck to butt and everything in between. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all.

Flyjunky

WKR
It’s interesting that there is a very popular, long thread, on this site about killing big game animals at some pretty good distances with a 223. Seems to me with the right bullet a 22-250 would do fine.

idahodave

WKR
I killed a bull elk and a pretty decent mule deer with my 22-250 last year and neither made it more than about 30 yards. I like your chances with a wolf.

Dave

kkp005

WKR
It’s interesting that there is a very popular, long thread, on this site about killing big game animals at some pretty good distances with a 223. Seems to me with the right bullet a 22-250 would do fine.
Yep.. I’d say the ol 77gr tmk launched out of a 22-250 would kill one deader that sh@t 🤣