IS 265FPS OK FOR TREESTAND WHITETAIL

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my chronograph, shot 270fps wo vanes. With vanes I will add 25gns so I will end up somewhere around 265fps. 25yrd n under shots from treestand. Don't have cleared Shooting lanes so I'm aware it won't be Shooting as flat as a 280fps bow. 520gn arrow plus 8gn if I run lighted nock so 528. I can reduce my weight by 25 grains, and gain a little speed but would rather keep the insert as it's on the iron will Snyder core and adds length to the insert for more stability. Any thoughts? What r u guys Shooting weight n speed please for u treestand short shot guys? Thnx

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I should add my arrow set up is about 550 gr. Nothing fancy. 5” shield cut so full length feathers, slows em right down. Also I shoot 11/32 wood, penetrates a lot less than carbon or aluminum. With a styk I bet I’m near the top speed wise. No fancy tricks and the deer don’t seem to mind.
When I shot compound I actually know no one who weighed them. That’s a new fangled worry and doesn’t need to be one.
When bows were slower, guys used overdraws to shorten arrows, this made them real light. They’d penetrate less per se and were slow by today’s comparison. They still blew right through.

Yeah you're golden. I've been shooting ~250fps, 525gr arrow at whitetails out to 50 yards hunting ag fields for the last couple years no problem. Out of a tree stand in the big timber like Foggy said I'm shooting ~170fps with a recurve. Know your distances, don't forget which pin is which, and you'll do just fine. BOL

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Greenmachine_1

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. I'm right around that 260-270 fps. Don't care enough to actually check. Arrow is around 535 gr with a 70lb bow with a 30 inch draw.

Speed, weight, broadhead selection, etc are a lot like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it really doesn't get you anywhere.

IMO, I'd focus on being so comfortable with the setup that you know exactly where it will hit and how it preforms in all situations and ignore the details. If it's not working for you, then start changing things...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
Quiet trumps speed! You are totally fine. Last thing you need to worry about!

N2TRKYS

WKR
You’re over 100 grains heavier than you need. Only you can answer the speed question. I wouldn’t like it for my setup, but may be perfectly fine for yours.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Are you seriously asking if a 500+ grain arrow going 265fps is going to kill a deer? You know people kill deer with recurves right?
No, just want to know what the guys not goin out west are shooting weight n speed wise for a comparison. As far as wanting to know if it will kill a deer, I dk genius does my question ask that? Oh no, it ask what weight n speed the treestand guys r shooting, smart ass.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
No, just want to know what the guys not goin out west are shooting weight n speed wise for a comparison. As far as wanting to know if it will kill a deer, I dk genius does my question ask that? Oh no, it ask what weight n speed the treestand guys r shooting, smart ass.
If u don't like my post don't respond to it unless u really have nothing better to do.

No, your title actually asks if your arrow speed is ok for whitetail, genius. Hence my question of if you were actually questioning if it would kill a deer.

ia bhtr

FNG
Having to normally hunt whitetails late archery season because of my job ( prior to retirement ) I always set my bow at 53 #s with a 385 grn arrow , absolutely no idea of speed , keep my shots to 25 yards or less , with that set up and those distances I cannot remember a deer I havent shot completely thru

My set up would have way less KE and I am guessing quite a bit slower than your set up , only distance shooting I have done is my 2 Antelope , same set up only turned to 60#s with a 27 1/2 DL so you know I am not getting much speed , 1@ 40 , 1@ 57 yds = complete pass thrus on both , should be zero probs with your set up

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I think my 500 gn arrow chronod at 235ish. I'd shoot one at 60 yards and not even worry about it.

I had a setup that was 262, can't remember the weight now but was moderate. I was using a 60# bow. It was just for treestand hunting basically. I didn't like it for shooting past 50 yards. If longest you are shooting is 25 yards you won't know the difference from 220-320 fps, except likely the noise.

I'm just use to a faster setup, but if shooting just short distance I'd be looking at a heavy arrow and light draw weight. Make it dead quiet.

ncavi8tor

WKR
That's my exact speed for my elk setup with a 505 grain arrow. It hits like Thor's hammer and I have no problem sending it out to 60 yards, even further for a follow-up shot!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk