Is 55mm selling myself short??

madcalfe

WKR
just looking through some of the adds here you can probably pick up some Leica geovids 3200.com and a mini vortex razor 16x48 spotter for around 2500$
that would literally cover all optics in 1 shot.
the razor I'm guessing will work fine for your needs as your not trying to count rings on a sheep.

PHo

WKR
Very shitty Vortex Diamondbacks. Sounds like the “right” answer is to upgrade these first. But with only making one big optics purchase this year, I’d hate to head out west without a spotter again. I know I said im proabbly not judging animals but 2 years ago OTC Colorado I had a bull at 600 at first light I couldn’t quite make out if he was legal (so I guess I will need to judge). This is why im mentally all over the place with this as it’s still haunting me lol
Yeah this changes things substantially. The reason you couldn’t make out that bull at 600 is not because you needed more magnification, it’s because Vortex Diamondbacks suck. Your first move should absolutely be to upgrade your binos, forget the idea of getting a spotter altogether. Trust me, with your budget you can get some binos that will be able to field judge most animals, even over 1000yds away at first light.

OP what did you end up doing?
I have taken Maven 18x56 to CO elk hunting the last 3 years. They have been great for sitting and panning looking for game compared to my 8x42s, being able to have both eyes open compared to a spotter has been nice as well.
However there have been multiple occasions where we have seen elk between 1000 yards and a mile but not been able to confirm 3 vs 4 points on one side. Because of this I am debating trading my 8s for 12s and the 18s for the new kowa 66.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
OP what did you end up doing?
I have taken Maven 18x56 to CO elk hunting the last 3 years. They have been great for sitting and panning looking for game compared to my 8x42s, being able to have both eyes open compared to a spotter has been nice as well.
However there have been multiple occasions where we have seen elk between 1000 yards and a mile but not been able to confirm 3 vs 4 points on one side. Because of this I am debating trading my 8s for 12s and the 18s for the new kowa 66.
Actually glad I got to circle back on this so thank u for commenting.

So in August I went out and scouted my unit for mule deer and then end of Oct went back out for the hunt. here is my take on glass as someone from back East who really doesnt know shit about glass...

I ended up buying a Swaro ATS 65mm 25-50 wide. I really do love that thing, Ill use it forever. I will say tho, these guys here are definitely correct in the fact that I was underrating the value of Binos while hunting in the West , especially if you get them on a stable tripod.

So right now i still have those shitty Vortex 10x42s. That size and mag is a good happy medium to use back East and out West. And so is the 65mm spotter. The spotter was nice to have for the scouting trip but i think i would have been better off upgrading my Binos and running them on a tripod for glassing sessions for THIS kind of hunt in open mountain country.

I say now if I lived in the West, i would run 12x Binos on chest for hunting and bring a tripod to glass off them. On purely scouting trips where i am intently looking miles over opposite ridges and really judging game, I would buy a nice big 85mm.

But as someone from back East, 10s and a 65 are great happy mediums as far as size and mag. And I think u are better off having quality glassed happy mediums versus one of everything (10x , 12x 65mm, 85mm,etc) that are shit glass. So next years tax return will most likely go toward quality 10x42s and I will call it a day. I think that will cover me for 90% of my future western adventure trips as well as anything i could use glass for back East

Last edited:
OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah this changes things substantially. The reason you couldn’t make out that bull at 600 is not because you needed more magnification, it’s because Vortex Diamondbacks suck. Your first move should absolutely be to upgrade your binos, forget the idea of getting a spotter altogether. Trust me, with your budget you can get some binos that will be able to field judge most animals, even over 1000yds away at first light.
And as far as your situation , yeah trying to figure out a legal bull in CO at that distance is tough with Binos. I bet for guys that are out all year scouting and hutning can judge that better just by experience. But i get it, on an OTC tag and coming all that way.. it can be frustrating not having a spotter in that situation. I did bring the 65mm on the hunting trip too. I wont say i regret bringing it. A couple mornings/evenings I glassed up a few small heards very far away and i knew immediately what they were with confidence.

Could u have figured that out with really high mag and quality glass Binos on a tripod? Maybe. I think so but its hard for me to say tbh. Would be nice. That would allow u to just bring one piece of glass versus two (save some weight on ur back) Thats why i said if i lived in the West i would get reps trying that out so i knew for sure. Otherwise, I am bringing the 65mm for those situations cuz I dont wanna risk not knowing for sure if that bull is legal over 1000 yards away in that 10 sec window i see him come out of the timber..

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
BINOS 1ST ! Second, buy once cry once is BS. from where I stand, especially with spotters. You could afford a 50 mm and an 80 or any combo you want at the stated price, pentax, nikon, meopta, ect. I own spotters from 50-100 mm and use them all differently, 65 mm. is almost always the best middle ground. I hate being stuck on middle ground. I definitely notice the ease of viewing go down under 80mm, all brands. (use reviews from birders and stargazers. You will learn a lot.)

I'll throw another unsolicited opinion into the mix. I have a set of older 10x42 Leica Trinovids and a Kowa 554. They both served me well on my recent mule deer/elk trip, but I really would have liked some 12x binos. The 554's are certainly a compromise but work well for what they are. In the upper end of magnification they drop off, but are light, easy to pack, and worked well to confirm points when the binos weren't quite enough.

I did use the 554 next to a Razor 65mm spotter and it was a bit surprising. The 65 didn't have much more FOV and didn't really wow me and I was glad I went the 55 route.

For next year I'm debating upgrading to a new set of 10x42s, or making the jump to 12's. Haven't quite made up my mind yet.

I am not in the market by any means, but i feel like I have heard a lot of good things about that 55 Kowa too
I had a Kowa 55 for several years. It really is impressive, but is not a scope I would be comfortable using for all situations, as I feel it’s s specialized optic for certain use cases. The ATC is MUCH more comfortable to use for hours at a time and is just as usable as a full size scope, which the little Kowa is not.
I used the ATC on my recent Bighorn hunt and did not feel limited at all.

I know it’s slightly over budget in your case, but I have seen them used for only slightly over $2k.

I’d pick an ATS 65 over the Kowa 55, or any other 55mm scope, for nearly every use case except for an ultralight and specialized hunt. I’d pick the ATC over the ATS for everything except aging a sheep.

I think that the OP in this thread has nailed it for a "do it all " optics set up without owning every available option. Pretty hard to beat the versatility of a 65 spotter and 10 power binos, especially if they are top end quality.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I think that the OP in this thread has nailed it for a "do it all " optics set up without owning every available option. Pretty hard to beat the versatility of a 65 spotter and 10 power binos, especially if they are top end quality.
Much obliged sir!

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, I hunt and help guide in the west.
I have a good spotter I almost never use When hunting on my own. I pack it when helping a buddy guide since I don’t carry a weapon.

The spotter is good for assessing trophy quality Thats about it. Its the rare bird that won’t shoot a 260” six point bull elk….or even a 5x5 for that matter Especially in the open units I hunt So it literally doesn’t do me -or most guys-any good.

FWIW, I think in most cases its better to scramble and get on the critter you spotted with binos…vs pulling your spotter out of your pack and setting it up.

My take, I prefer good 10x binos and big binos 15x, 18x on a tripod for western hunting.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very happy after a season with my 10x42/Kowa 554 combo. Spotter only comes out for distinguishing detail, like a big forky from a 4x4 at 400+ yds. Curious how much more distance 12x binos would provide before needing the spotter...?

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I hunt and help guide in the west.
I have a good spotter I almost never use When hunting on my own. I pack it when helping a buddy guide since I don’t carry a weapon.

The spotter is good for assessing trophy quality Thats about it. Its the rare bird that won’t shoot a 260” six point bull elk….or even a 5x5 for that matter Especially in the open units I hunt So it literally doesn’t do me any good.

I prefer good 10x binos and big binos 15x, 18x on a tripod for western hunting.
I'm very happy after a season with my 10x42/Kowa 554 combo. Spotter only comes out for distinguishing detail, like a big forky from a 4x4 at 400+ yds. Curious how much more distance 12x binos would provide before needing the spotter...?
Sounds like a solid setup , similar to mine. What 10x42s u running? And not sure about the 12x question since I don’t have experience with them but would like input as well if anyone has any

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Currently the Razor HDs (Japan made) which are a noticeable upgrade from my Meopta Meopro HDs. I tried a couple sets of SLCs and a set of Ultravids but they just weren't worth the extra price tag for me. I felt the Razors to be a solid value bino for what I paid and use them for.