Is a chart available that shows bullet drop of 6.5 CM 143 Eld-X from Barret Fieldcraft?

GPATTI

WKR
I have a Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor (18" barrel). I am zero'd at 100 yds using Hornady 143 gr. Eld-X. I have a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14X40 CDS-ZL. Does a chart exist somewhere that I can refer to for bullet drop beyond 100 yards?? Going on a mountain goat hunt and need help!! Thank you!

khuber84

WKR
Chrono your velocity over a 10 shot string. Use the avg speed at 0.295 g7 bc at whatever atmospherics you feel will be present in your sheep hunt. Muzzle velocity will dictate everything, I'd expect it to be 2575-2625fps. Horandy's quoated bc isn't near as advertised on the 143. Applied Ballistics has tested it in dolpar radar several times ranging 0.292-.299.

Sadler

WKR
You’re going to need to borrow a chronograph from someone and get your muzzle velocity before anyone can help you

Wrench

WKR
You CAN do this without a chronograph BUT you will need range time at distances up to 600 or so.

You can get close enough BC from litz.

You can get scope height from measurements.

If you know the rifle, environmental and BC, you can range validate the velocity.

Shoot known distance, record data.....repeat to as far as you can shoot.

Enter the drops you experienced into your ballistic solver to backfill the velocity.

The issues with this are the spreads, but at 600 you're still easily minute of goat.

All of this hinges on you being a good pilot.

Rock-o

WKR
Like @406Smith said, weaponized math and JBM's trajectory calculator will get you a solid start. The better the data in to JBM the better the data out... I'm talking even the measurement of the scope over the bore, for example. Explore the four environmental values - tempertaure, humidity, pressure, and altitude - to understand how they affect trajectory. You might be surprised.

It'll only take a few mins of trial and error with your muzzle velocity to get the calculated table that JBM outputs to match your DOPE. No chronograph needed.

Last edited:

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Don't forget to get your proper scope height. Once you start getting out farther this will be something you'll need to know.

carter33

WKR
This is my drop from my 18” 6.5 creedmor fieldcraft out to 500 with the 143 eldx. Also using my location/weather data. I would definitely go out and verify but this will likely put you very close your solution at normal hunting distances.

Attachments

• F216489C-11BA-4D90-8D89-D83A631214F9.png
    F216489C-11BA-4D90-8D89-D83A631214F9.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 153

WCB

WKR
Make/Model of gun doesn't matter. You will need to Chrono or get out and actually shoot your firearm and confirm. Serial #1 and Serial #2 of a make model and rifle could shoot completely different.

Antares

WKR
I’m lazy. When I’m doing drops for a new load I guess at MV and make a try dope table. Then I go shoot steel at 300 and 500 yards, record the actual come up needed to center the plates, and then go mess with the MV (and sometimes the BC) until the table matches my actual drops at 300 and 500 yards. Good enough for hunting and I can usually do it in 10 rounds or less. No chrono needed.

Wrench

WKR
I dont touch BC until I have validated to 600, then if thing go wonky beyond that, but are consistent closer.....bc gets corrected to my 800-1200 yard solutions.

carter33

WKR
Make/Model of gun doesn't matter. You will need to Chrono or get out and actually shoot your firearm and confirm. Serial #1 and Serial #2 of a make model and rifle could shoot completely different.

Ya muzzle velocities could vary a good bit but odds are with the same action/barrel combo they will be fairly close. I did say to go out and verify and if the OP doesn’t have a chronograph I can’t think of a better estimate for drop than that from the same barrel/action combo with same length barrel. Again though I get what you’re saying, the chart I posted shouldn’t be followed as gospel for his rifle.