Is Bear Spray needed in non-grizzly area?

i"ll be carrying a can this year. Had a run in with a bear last year that creeped in on me down wind while i whistled and yelled at him . Eventually he took off when he got 15- 20 yds from me. I had shot a bear 2 day before about a half mile away. Also i had eaten about an hour before. He probably smelled something on me. While he was sneaking in on me i was wishing i had some bear spray. i was bowhunting.

I carry it in black bear country... it doesn't weigh much and it's better to be safe than bear shit.

Nothing is ever needed until it is so for me the possible benefit far outweighs the virtually nonexistant downside.
Two years abo there were two biologists up here that were collecting soil samples and a mine and were attacked/mauled by a black bear. Both had bear spray, both were well trained in the use of it, and both were able to deploy it into the face of the bear at point blank range. One of the biologists was killed and the other one was severely mauled, but lived to tell the story. From the investigation that was conducted, it was determined that the bear and gone into a predatory mode and had snuck up on the two from behind when the attack occurred. I think, as the story goes, when troopers went to investigate and attempt to dispatch the bear, they found, and killed it at the scene where it was feeding on the biologist. I believe that if a bear is looking to kill you, regardless of whether it's a black or brown bear, a can of bear spray is next to useless. I know that I would much rather be pointing a fully loaded high power handgun at a charging bear, than pointing a fully loaded can of spray.

Don't believe that for a minute, and hopefully you'll never have to find out whether or not that's true.

Troutbum:

What about my statement do you not believe for a minute. What critter that has mucous membranes do you believe is immune from bear spray?

ClearCreek

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it's immunity you have to worry about, it's tenacity.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I religiously carry bear spray when I'm in grizzly country (hiking & hunting), but never carry it outside of grizzly country

there are well documented cases of predatory black bear encounters (almost always large males), but they are usually a slow developing situation- bear shows interest, bear sizes you up, bear may follow you, etc; they are also rare (thankfully)

bear spray is also effective on lions (as one our lion biologists found out :))

if someone feels better carrying it in black bear country, then it's certainly worth the weight imo- it's just not going to be me carrying it

Beendare

WKR
"Bear spray will work on any animal that has mucous membranes. ClearCreek "

It works effectively on eyes, throat, and nose.

https://www.udap.com/mm5/FAQS

Written^ by the folks trying to sell you bear spray.

Keep in mind a lot of the park ranger types don't want these bears shot...in fact, I get the feeling some of those types think, "Whats a few human casualties...we are in the bears space" So when these folks recommend "Non lethal means" they may NOT have your best interest in mind.

I think bear spray is just one more tool...can it be effective- yes. Will it stop a bear in full charge...or in predatory mode with its stomach grumbling as AK Trout mentioned....maybe not.

To each his own, I carry a pistol that I practice with religiously.

jspradley

WKR
Two years abo there were two biologists up here that were collecting soil samples and a mine and were attacked/mauled by a black bear. Both had bear spray, both were well trained in the use of it, and both were able to deploy it into the face of the bear at point blank range. One of the biologists was killed and the other one was severely mauled, but lived to tell the story. From the investigation that was conducted, it was determined that the bear and gone into a predatory mode and had snuck up on the two from behind when the attack occurred. I think, as the story goes, when troopers went to investigate and attempt to dispatch the bear, they found, and killed it at the scene where it was feeding on the biologist. I believe that if a bear is looking to kill you, regardless of whether it's a black or brown bear, a can of bear spray is next to useless. I know that I would much rather be pointing a fully loaded high power handgun at a charging bear, than pointing a fully loaded can of spray.

For every story where spray failed or succeeded theres a story where a handgun failed or succeeded.

Theres no guarantees either way when a hungry animal wants to eat you.

For every story where spray failed or succeeded theres a story where a handgun failed or succeeded.

Theres no guarantees either way when a hungry animal wants to eat you.
Oh, I completely agree, there are no guarantees. A buddy of mine was fishing on a very popular stream about 20 miles outside of Anchorage while a curious brown bear was milling around on the bank, when the bear approached my buddy, he shot it in the face with spray from a few yards away. The bear turned away, went up into the grass and wiped his face for a couple minutes, then came back down to mill around some more. Having no more means of self defense, my buddy packed up and left. I just don't have a whole lot of faith in bear spray. I absolutely believe it can work on a curious bear, just like a fence can work on a curious bear. I use an electric fence on Kodiak for just those instances, however, I have absolutely have no faith in either the fence or the spray on a charging bear, or a bear that is fully intent on trying to kill you. I've killed, or been involved in the killing of, 3 DLP brown bears and had I only of had bear spray in those two instances, it's my opinion that there's a very good chance I probably wouldn't be telling this story right now.

RobertsA

FNG
I carry a pistol when I am bow hunting, not necessarily for black bears, bit you never know what kind of creep you might run into even in the middle of nowhere. But I suppose it would also work for bear protection if necessary.

I have never had a bad bear encounter, and they are generally wary and spook easy.

But, I do know people that have been kept up their tree well after dark in archery season by a sow with cubs.
I’ve seen a few people talk about “people” being an issue way out there... like crazy people or just some mad hunters you bump ?

hflier

WKR
I’ve seen a few people talk about “people” being an issue way out there... like crazy people or just some mad hunters you bump ?

I have run into a few bat shit crazy people out there. Look at the two guys in B.C. killing folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
A coworker swears by a sprinkle of Copenhagen snuff around hunting camp to keep bears away.

Seems crazy, but can’t argue that he hasn’t had a bear in camp since he started doing it 15 yrs ago...

Anyone else heard of this?

How necessary is bear spray if I won't be in a grizzly area? Are black bears really that concerning for a group of guys backpack hunting? Is it worth carrying a can?
To me it's worth it. In Montana grizzlies are popping up in areas and expanding their range, so you never know. I'm also almost always by myself so I like to carry a can.