Is it too late to get into reloading?

Titan_Bow

WKR
One of my hunting rifles is a 6.8SPC AR-15 that I built for my son. Its a great little rifle and we both enjoy hunting with it. I am getting a little light on ammo, probably have 200 rounds or so, but the 110gr accubonds that I really liked to hunt with Im down to my last box of 20.
There is no 6.8 ammo out there on websites or in stores, and so I wanted to get into reloading. I was putting together a list of everything I need, and having a really hard time sourcing primers or bullets.
Am I too late? Would it be a futile effort right now to get into the reloading game?

Rob5589

WKR
Never too late. Just realize you will have to be constantly combing your local shops and online sources for components. Plan on not finding, or not being quick enough, to buy what you need for weeks to months.

manitou1

WKR
At the moment... yes. It will settle down in a few months and slowly things will start to hit the shelves again. Take it as a lesson learned and make a plan to purchase componants every few pay days or quarterly. After the last three elections a guy should realize we go through this every four years. This is, however, the worst I have seen.

I want to get into reloading and started acquiring everything before this whole mess kicked off. I've since put it on hold until things come back to normal in the next few years... (hopefully)

I am also on my last box of 6.8spc. It's a fun little rifle.

archp625

WKR
Like someone else said. Its never too late. But, I will say this, you pick a very challenging time to start. You will need to look at multiple sites and store daily or multiple times a day to find what you need. When you find what you are looking for don't wait because there may be a better deal. Buy what you can afford and move on.

Spoonbill

WKR
270 bullets seem easier to find, especially the lightweights used for 6.8spc. Your big issue now will be primers and powder, especially small rifle primers. Ammo seek is a good way to see who has what in stock

Rob5589

WKR
Something to consider as to when to start buying is the state you live in. I'm in Kalifornia so I am in a different situation than many. Kalifornia has had reloading in their sights for a while now and with the new administration, anything is possible. I'm not waiting.

35remy

FNG
It’s never too late. Components do turn up both online and in mg local store from time to time. You just have to be ready to buy when you can and save your brass every range trip.