Is my best option the Outdoorsman's Compact?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I ended up with a LQ-324 for both shooting off of and spotting and I don't mind using the RRS Anvil-30 to glass without the center column. And it is awesome to shoot off of.
Thanks for your input, good to know. That Mr. Q looks a lot like a less refined RRS Ascend - kind of an end all be all solution.

I've been considering this, which is less flexible with the way the detachable center post works, but folds up nice, same leg diameters as the smaller Mr. Q, and obviously less expensive......(Ranger LS 284C & LH-30 ballhead). This seems like the minimum setup to be able to potentially shoot off of, granted fully-standing is not an option, which I am okay with.

I've ready a lot about not using center columns as much as possible to maintain more stability......do you find yourself using that center column a lot when glassing with the tripod setup you have? You said you don't mind glassing without it so I assume you don't use it a ton?

Tripods are hard, SO many threads on these things.

Thanks for your input, good to know. That Mr. Q looks a lot like a less refined RRS Ascend - kind of an end all be all solution.

I've been considering this, which is less flexible with the way the detachable center post works, but folds up nice, same leg diameters as the smaller Mr. Q, and obviously less expensive......(Ranger LS 284C & LH-30 ballhead). This seems like the minimum setup to be able to potentially shoot off of, granted fully-standing is not an option, which I am okay with.

I've ready a lot about not using center columns as much as possible to maintain more stability......do you find yourself using that center column a lot when glassing with the tripod setup you have? You said you don't mind glassing without it so I assume you don't use it a ton?

Tripods are hard, SO many threads on these things.
Oh yeah trying to find a tripod for hunting and be able to glass and shoot off of well, without breaking the bank, and not packing a huge heavy tripod is hard.

I have gone thru so many trying to find what worked well for me and what I could stomach to pay for. I've had the $100 vanguard, 8lb RT-90c off Amazon, LS-325cex (with the leveling base), LS-365, LQ-284c, and now the LQ-324c.

I don't use the center column at all really and didn't even take it last fall hunting on the LQ-284. I don't glass standing up so I didn't need the height and wasn't going to fuss around with switching if I needed to hurry up and shoot off it.

I picked up both my LQ tripods from this seller on ebay, both open box, and they showed up like new.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan after using this one for a “do all” would you still recommend it? Sorry to bump an old thread but not much out there on the Mr Q.
Absolutely, last year I went lighter weight on one trip and regretted it glassing in the wind the first night of the trip. I still use it with the column but I do lose out on a couple hundred yards of stability if I want to shoot off of it. But I use it to glass 99% of the time.

To me its the perfect balance of weight, size, stability for big glass, and cost.

Last edited:

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Super helpful guys, really appreaciate your thoughts here.

For anyone else looking, the big thing I am seeing is around that 28mm leg diameter being the beginning of what you can shoot off of, and of course it being very stable, so that's where the lightweight/dual-purpose line is, that I see. RRS Ascend is also about that size for largest leg section diameter. With 4 sections that keeps you in that under 3.5lb range (with head) and 20" or less packed size. 5 sections is less stable and more fuss.

Super helpful guys, really appreaciate your thoughts here.

For anyone else looking, the big thing I am seeing is around that 28mm leg diameter being the beginning of what you can shoot off of, and of course it being very stable, so that's where the lightweight/dual-purpose line is, that I see. RRS Ascend is also about that size for largest leg section diameter. With 4 sections that keeps you in that under 3.5lb range (with head) and 20" or less packed size. 5 sections is less stable and more fuss.
I think you've just about got it figured out. I stepped up to 32mm for the largest leg not so much for the diameter, but the extra 4in it gained me at max extension does allow me to shoot standing at prairie dogs in the spring/summer. It doesn't hurt that it has less wobble and only weighed ounces more.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with the not quite as fancy Leofoto LS-365C and made a little adapter to keep my RRS Anvil-30 from rotating. I tried one of the leofoto compact leveling base tripods(LS-325CEX), but it wouldn't hold a rifle snugged all the way down. It was compact, I'll give it that.
@chutinlead , reaching back some time ago here…. , Do you still have and use the LS-365C or did you move on to another tripod? How about the 5 section legs (4 extensions), too much? Pros? Cons? Thanks.