Is one full day at 10,000 feet enough to acclimate for a flatlander?

My plan is to drive to CO from MO, to Silverthorne where I'll stay the rest of the day, then up to camp at 10k the next morning. There I'll just be driving around and glassing a bit. Is that whole next day enough time to acclimate and be ready to hunt hard the following(opening) day?

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow flat lander. Do your day rest day and then try and hunt high and sleep low.

I get altitude sickness really bad and even spent time in the hospital because of it. Developed High Altitude Pulmonary Anemia (HAPE) and my lungs filled with fluid. Just monitor symptoms. Splitting headaches and feeling hungover are my signs I need to get lower. Lower elevations are the only thing that will prevent HAPE from getting worse.

Also my buddy that I hunt with never had this issue.

OP
stretch866
Fellow flat lander. Do your day rest day and then try and hunt high and sleep low.

I get altitude sickness really bad and even spent time in the hospital because of it. Developed High Altitude Pulmonary Anemia (HAPE) and my lungs filled with fluid. Just monitor symptoms. Splitting headaches and feeling hungover are my signs I need to get lower. Lower elevations are the only thing that will prevent HAPE from getting worse.

Also my buddy that I hunt with never had this issue.
Makes sense. That's kind of the issue, the whole unite is basically at 10k. I would have to drive down off the mountain all the way to 6k to sleep then drive back up in the morning and then hike in, burning a lot of time. But perhaps thats the safest route.

Laramie

WKR
Some people are ok while others get really sick. Just have a plan to be able to get lower fairly quickly if serious problems develop. Even if you aren't prone to altitude sickness, you will still really feel it with only one day to acclimate.

colby12

WKR
Take those O2 bottles you can get from most stores. I take a bigger bottle for camp and the small one for the pack. Not a replacement for acclimation but it helps.

hiker270

WKR
Everybody deals with high altitude differently. Some people acclimate very quickly and some take a few days. There is a lot of info on how to deal with altitude and some different drugs that may help.

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Makes sense. That's kind of the issue, the whole unite is basically at 10k. I would have to drive down off the mountain all the way to 6k to sleep then drive back up in the morning and then hike in, burning a lot of time. But perhaps thats the safest route.
You are a 100% correct. I have spent two days in the hospital during an elk hunt. That was no fun and the a total waste of time.

As JGBowman stated sleeping at a lower altitude will help. Stay hydrated, start drinking fluids (non alcoholic and non caffeinated) several days before you get at altitude. It's easy to get dehydrated when you get to higher altitudes before you realize it. Drink plenty of water, Gatorade, Pedialyte sport, etc. Replacing electrolytes is essential also. LMNT, Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover, Mtn Ops, etc will help restore electrolytes. If your urine is dark yellow, you are not drinking enough fluids.

OP
stretch866
As JGBowman stated sleeping at a lower altitude will help. Stay hydrated, start drinking fluids (non alcoholic and non caffeinated) several days before you get at altitude. It's easy to get dehydrated when you get to higher altitudes before you realize it. Drink plenty of water, Gatorade, Pedialyte sport, etc. Replacing electrolytes is essential also. LMNT, Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover, Mtn Ops, etc will help restore electrolytes. If your urine is dark yellow, you are not drinking enough fluids.
Yep, thats the plan. Appreciate it.

Weldor

WKR
Nope, I live at 3800 ft head to 6000-8000 every other week for 10 days. Have been doing it for 22 years. It still takes me a least 2 days to acclimatise. At 10000 maybe longer, but I'm old.

Jethro

WKR
No way to know how your body will react. Can guarantee you ain't going to feel 100%. That doesn't mean you will feel so bad you can't hunt. I've done what you describe and although I didn't feel tip top, I was able to hunt. That first night sleep at elevation though, dam, that is the worst night sleep of my life.......every time. Nothing like being out of breath just from leaving the tent to take a piss.

I live below sea level, and go up a week early every year, staying at a Motel in the hunt area. I still have problems keeping up with the guide, but he is a local resident and used to it. I still make the best of it, and enjoy it every year.

Beendare

WKR
I do it every year for the last 4 decades…it usually takes me a few days to a week.

Everyone is different.

It seems the constant is; the better shape you are in, the less affected….but some of it is genetic.

takes me about 3-4 days to fully adjust. Before that, i'm functional, just out of breath and slow. Also, I have to drink a crazy amount of water early on, especially day 1 to feel alive. I think the most was 2+ gallons in a day.

At 10,000 ft it takes someone on average 1-3 days to acclimatize.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate (electrolytes are your friend)
Avoid alcohol
Consume lots of carbs
Limit exertion until acclimatized
Climb high sleep low until acclimatized
Diamox prescription can help prevent in most cases
Listen to your body and descend when things are off

OP
stretch866
No way to know how your body will react. Can guarantee you ain't going to feel 100%. That doesn't mean you will feel so bad you can't hunt. I've done what you describe and although I didn't feel tip top, I was able to hunt. That first night sleep at elevation though, dam, that is the worst night sleep of my life.......every time. Nothing like being out of breath just from leaving the tent to take a piss
I've been up there this summer scouting. But only did very limited hiking for one day. Did not have problems but hopefully with more days up there I will be able to hike harder.

Its a very personal thing, and it doesn't have to do with how badass or in shape you are. Kind of like going offshore in 2-3 ft seas.....altitude affects everyone differently. Best thing you can do is drink lots of water, carry a nalgene bottle with you and drink water all day every day, and get there as soon before your hunt as possible to minimize any possible effects

WCB

WKR
It takes 4 or 5 days imo to "acclimate" However, doing the correct steps like being rested, drinking lots of water, being in shape, avoid alcohol etc help greatly. Pace yourself and know your limitations.

If you have trouble sleeping drop down in elevation.