Is the 6.8 western gaining traction or did the 7mm prc finish it off?

Jdutton24

Lil-Rokslider
Was looking to maybe buy a new rifle, I have a fierce 6.5 prc. It's between the 6.8 western or 7mm prc. I know there isn't alot of difference ballistically but the 6?8 is slightly better with170 gr eol vs the 156 in the 6.5 prc. Which brought me to the 7mm prc. But honestly as I get older I much prefer milder recoil. It will be mostly for deer/mule deer game so I know all will work but one day I'd love to maybe try to hunt an elk. Just getting feedback on cartridge and components/ammo. I reload so it's not as big of a deal but I'd rather not have to use Winchester brass. I've heard adg and Peterson are planning on making brass but no eta

svivian

WKR

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
6.8 Western is great cartridge and catching on. I prefer the 6.8W over 7 prc due to lighter recoil as well. 7prc has 8-10 more grains of capacity and drives a 175 to 3000 fps vs 2850 fps but the 6.8W. Pick your power/recoil level - both are super cartridges. I have 2 6.8s and there is plenty of ammo, bullets, and rifles in 6.8W including Fierce. New brass is scarce recently as Win is only source but I saw adg may be releasing this year for 6.8 which would be great.

Lou

Last edited:

TrackerG

FNG
I have a fierce 7mm prc carbon rival. With my scope the gun only weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces. I have the standard muzzle brake on it. The recoil is pretty much non existent. I am able to spot my own impacts even on a deer at 200 yards with a very poor rest. I wouldn’t let the recoil sway you at all with a 7prc personally. But I also shoot the 160CX bullet at 3050 fps, it’s what the gun liked.

180ls1

WKR
I really wish it would but I wouldn't plan a rifle build on a hope for better brass. 6.5prc has factory EOL being produced and mass adoption. I am sure berger has factory 195eol ammo in the works also.

Gila

WKR
I have ditched all of my long action rifles. I switched to short actions. My 284 Winchester shoots lights out and can run up there with the 280AI. Peterson and Lapua brass. I load it a tad longer than a short action with max coal at 3.1”. Light recoil and just a pleasure to shoot. Most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

I recently built a 6.8 Western. I am in the process of loading 165 LRAB and 175 Game-changers. I load it to max COAL of 2.95”. The 6.8 Western is my heavy hitter now. Downside is only Winchester brass is available. Bullet selection gets better as time goes on. I am chomping on the bit to get out there and hunt with it. My go to rifle was a 270 Win for decades. The 6.8 Western fits my personality.

Gila

WKR
Does this mean 6.5 Creedmore isn’t a thing anymore?
The 6.5 Creedmoor will probably go down in history as one of the greatest rifle cartridges of all time. The rifles are still selling like hot cakes. I don’t see it going anywhere any time soon. I don’t own a rifle in that caliber but I am in the process of building a 6 Creed.

The 6.8 Western was dead on arrival. Don't waste your time. I promise that you'd be far happier with a 6mm Creedmoor than anything else listed. In my eyes, it's the best overall big-game hunting round ever created and will work great on everything from coyotes to elk.

Gila

WKR
Quite a few rifle builders are chambering the 6.8 Western these days. As more rifles are sold the demand for brass keeps increasing. I expect to see some good brass coming for the 6.8 Western this year. The 284 Win is what over 60 years old, and I don’t think you can even find factory ammo for it but has dominated F-class. Hunters who own Melvin Forbe’s NULA chambered in 284 Win will not part with them. The 6.8 Western is just a toddler. Winchester got it right this time. The 6.8 Western is just an awesome cartridge, no doubt about that.

Was looking to maybe buy a new rifle, I have a fierce 6.5 prc. It's between the 6.8 western or 7mm prc. I know there isn't alot of difference ballistically but the 6?8 is slightly better with170 gr eol vs the 156 in the 6.5 prc. Which brought me to the 7mm prc. But honestly as I get older I much prefer milder recoil. It will be mostly for deer/mule deer game so I know all will work but one day I'd love to maybe try to hunt an elk. Just getting feedback on cartridge and components/ammo. I reload so it's not as big of a deal but I'd rather not have to use Winchester brass. I've heard adg and Peterson are planning on making brass but no eta
After owning a 7 prc, I would say jump upto the 7mm over the .277 if you plan on shooting deer and elk at distances over 350.

Tex68w

WKR
The 6.8 Western was dead on arrival. Don't waste your time. I promise that you'd be far happier with a 6mm Creedmoor than anything else listed. In my eyes, it's the best overall big-game hunting round ever created and will work great on everything from coyotes to elk.

I've got a 6 Creed build and while its main purpose is to whack Coyotes and antelope I don't see myself grabbing it over my 308 when it comes time to take an Elk or Mule Deer inside of 400. I am putting a 6 ARC together as we speak for a 6mm gasser option as well. I truly see 6mm being the hotness for the next 3-5 years.

hiker270

WKR
Unless you reload the factory ammo selection seems to be much better with the 7mm PRC. Federal already has the 175 ELD-X and a 170 T/A and it looks like they are planning a 155 T/A also. Hornady and Weatherby also have ammo. Winchester is about the only ammo you can find in the 6.8 Western. Although the Winchester 165 Accubond Expedition Big Game is somewhat available and would be a good choice for elk. Even if you reload the 6.8 brass is hard to find.

I've got a 6 Creed build and while its main purpose is to whack Coyotes and antelope I don't see myself grabbing it over my 308 when it comes time to take an Elk or Mule Deer inside of 400. I am putting a 6 ARC together as we speak for a 6mm gasser
It's all about placing the right bullet in the right spot. Due to bullet BC and recoil, there's not a shooter or hunter on earth who is better with a .308 than a 6mm Creedmoor, and that includes use on game bigger and tougher than elk, too.

Tex68w

WKR
It's all about placing the right bullet in the right spot. Due to bullet BC and recoil, there's not a shooter or hunter on earth who is better with a .308 than a 6mm Creedmoor, and that includes use on game bigger and tougher than elk, too.

I don't disagree with that but the 308 has a lot more options for bullets/loads and I know that caliber very well and how it responds at distance, dope, etc. For me the 308 gets the nod on the larger animals inside of 400 because it carries a lot more energy but the 6 Creed could certainly get it done.

6.8 Western should have been 7 Western. The biggest drawback of the 6.8mm is the almost complete void of good bullets produced in that size. If you handload then choose whatever you want, but I think 7mm gives about the best combo of bullet selection, external & terminal performance, and recoil for mixed western game. I have a 7PRC and am thinking of selling it and just building a .284win or using Sig Fury brass formed into 7mm-08 and loading it to the moon. The 7PRC does great but even with a suppressor it kind of beats my head up after shooting 30+ rounds and I'd rather stay away from head trauma.

We took two trophy elk this season back to back with my 7PRC (180 ELDM) and my 6.5 creedmoor (147 ELDM) and both of them proved the ELDM to be a great killer. The PRC absolutely did more damage, but both shredded both lungs and caused no meat damage. I'd consider down to a 6mm Creedmoor for everything, but I do like a bit more bullet for elk for the potentially shorter tracking job. I don't care about recoil when hunting, just at the range, and light magnums don't make good range guns. If you want a gun you can enjoy a lot at the range I'd go with less recoil than a mag.

Nothing wrong with the .308; I own a bunch. However, the OP is considering adding another cartridge to his stable. The point I'm making is that choosing the .308 (or 6.8 Western or 7mm PRC) over the 6mm Creedmoor would be poor choice because he already has a 6.5 PRC.

The centerfire trifecta of perfection consists of the .223, 6mm Creedmoor, and 6.5 PRC. With those three, you can do it all.