Is the legendary Region G dead?

I know there are threads on the winter kill on these herds but what do you think the long term result will be? Can the region recover? Reports of 70-80% mortality is hard to even comprehend. We are talking about 10s of thousands of deer to a few thousand. With other well known factors, like habitat loss, making life for mule deer hard can the region ever fully recover? I know we want to be optimistic but looking around the west it seems like mule deer just dont recover from major mortality events in todays landscape.

OP
MuleyFever
The landscape is dynamic, animals have a strong sense for survival. Managed wisely they can definitely recover. A few good moisture years paired with milder winters and they’ll bounce back. Rebound of older age class bucks might take some time.
Thats the optimism I am talking about. A "few good years" isnt going to do crap. I have read a 20% population increase per year under ideal conditions. If that is true you are talking about 7 years of optimal conditions to get from 9000 animals to 30k ish animals. I dont think there is any evidence of this happening in recent times.

What do you see as proper management and what is the likelihood WFG follows this idea?
IMO there are many factors. #1 being winter range carrying capacity. Over the years we have watched the rise and fall and rise and fall of units/regions just like this. For example, the Gunnison basin. A well orchestrated plan will take many years before we see the positive effects of the implementation of such management.
Additionally, the likely hood of a state's entity entrusted to manage it's wildlife "properly" can be subjective. This starts with the assigned biologist to a region! If the state follows the the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The best proposed management plan should be implemented.

OP
MuleyFever
IMO there are many factors. #1 being winter range carrying capacity. Over the years we have watched the rise and fall and rise and fall of units/regions just like this. For example, the Gunnison basin. A well orchestrated plan will take many years before we see the positive effects of the implementation of such management.
Additionally, the likely hood of a state's entity entrusted to manage it's wildlife "properly" can be subjective. This starts with the assigned biologist to a region! If the state follows the the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation. The best proposed management plan should be implemented.
Many years is the thing. This is not a short term issue. The thing is the does do the work. I dont know the area management but are there any doe tags in region G to cut? Are there habitat projects that can propel the recovery? Will the agencies in charge take the initiative?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you heard Robby and the region G biologist talk about this very thing?
Data collected doesn't support the doom gloom outlook.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Have you heard Robby and the region G biologist talk about this very thing?
Data collected doesn't support the doom gloom outlook.

Thanks but I dont listen to podcasts, generally. Maybe I will look at it.

TaperPin

WKR
Populations rise and fall. Hard winters have wiped out large portions of some herds for centuries. It is a bummer and will take some mild winters to recover quickly, but it will recover.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks but I dont listen to podcasts, generally. Maybe I will look at it.
Robby has a pretty good pulse of region G having spent of time on it over decades of hunting and scouting it. Gary has been the biologist up there for decades.

It's a good discussion from guys that have watched the up and down of that deer herd.

So mich goes into a units or regions carrying capacity.
I hope this is as "bad" as it gets for a very long time but there is a reason folks talk about the Hay Days. G and other western units may never be as "good" as they were in 2022.

OP
MuleyFever
Populations rise and fall. Hard winters have wiped out large portions of some herds for centuries. It is a bummer and will take some mild winters to recover quickly, but it will recover.
Will it though? What reason do you have to confidently say that? Habitat losses don't support that idea in my opinion. You are right about the losses but we don't see the recovery in recent times. People bring up the Gunnison and it may be a good example of how the herds just can't recover in modern times. The Gunnison is nothing like it was years ago.

TaperPin

WKR
Will it though? What reason do you have to confidently say that? Habitat losses don't support that idea in my opinion. You are right about the losses but we don't see the recovery in recent times. People bring up the Gunnison and it may be a good example of how the herds just can't recover in modern times. The Gunnison is nothing like it was years ago.
The winter range hasn’t changed much since I was a kid - it will probably look very much the same when my grandson is hunting western Wy.

Im all in favor of winter range improvements and setting aside key areas of private land in land trusts, but who is willing to foot the bill? Asking the state to pony up new expenses without new revenue to replace it isn’t reasonable. I’m all in favor of higher priced tags for those who hunt here to be spent on habitat improvements, but most people want something for nothing like it’s welfare.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Are these outfitters with skin in the game that dont want negative reports to hurt bookings ? Hopefully we can get reliable reports from non biased people.
There was no motive to tell me other than what true. I got one from an outfitter, friend, and another from a non-outfitter.