Is the legendary Region G dead?

Jimss

WKR
The winter and summer range shrubs and other browse in most of Wyo are in horrific shape due to multiple years of drought and abuse.

The good news is that most of Wyo got a reprieve this year with decent moisture. There are also fewer deer and antelope hammering away on winter and summer range forage.

With that said, there are a lot of factors that collectively need to align for recovery. Winterkill is just one of them! Most of us would agree that elk impact mule deer. I'm sure predators had a pretty good winter and are doing well. I've been amazed at how poor shrub growth is in some regions in Wyo due to cheatgrass. Winterkill, predators, poor habitat, elk, CWD and other diseases, cheatgras, roadkill, water development, etc. It's pretty easy to see that there are a lot of factors and work that can be done!

Last edited:
So I live in the area and there is a ton of forage but not many deer around to get on it. I normally have 10-15 deer behind my place and I have only seen two this year so far. It will recover but it will take some time. The ones that are on the landscape will be in good shape going into this winter. Looks like the antelope down the road were hit way harder. I have not seen any in the last month.

It won’t effect the deer herd in the least. There is an ebb and flow to nature this is as natural as the sun coming up. It will however effect those that want to hunt them.

But the Mule Deer absolutely will be just fine long term.
Of course the herd will be okay but is trophy quality going to be good or bad over the next several years is the question. It does a trophy hunter no good if the unit doesn’t have any mature bucks

OP
MuleyFever
It won’t effect the deer herd in the least. There is an ebb and flow to nature this is as natural as the sun coming up. It will however effect those that want to hunt them.

But the Mule Deer absolutely will be just fine long term.
The problem is that humans do a great job of screwing up natures ebb and flow.

S.Clancy

WKR
@MuleyFever It sounds like you have made up your mind about what is gonna happen. But, just for sake of argument, let's use MT post winters of 2010 and 2011 to support my argument that the mule deer will recover just fine. Let's also assume that the winterkill is as bad as you assume, with only ~9000 animals remaining (although the data suggests otherwise). 30,000/9000 is roughly 3.3, so you will need a 230% increase in population to recover to your previous levels.

MT's previous low inflection point for R7 mule deer was in 2012 with around 47,000 animals. By 2016, there was an estimated 135,000 mule deer in R7. That is an increase of ~190% in 4 years. Consider that increase was with MT extremely liberal seasons/harvest and consider that Region G's habitat quality is right near the top for best habitat in the United States.

I don't really see a reasonable argument as to why the mule deer (and antelope) herds won't recover in WY. Will it be instant, no. Will it happen, almost certainly.

TaperPin

WKR
Remember when the Yellowstone superintendent told everyone to stay home and cancel plans to visit the park - the wifey and I jumped at the news and had the best time ever. We literally drove up north without seeing a single car for 7 miles at a time - unheard of in the last 30 years!

So, I hate to have to tell everyone, but Wy deer mortality is so bad across the state it’s a complete waste of money to step foot in the state. Elk are the same.

This tragedy is expected to last the next 20 years.

There is great news from Colorado! There is a new 4 point rule where the state guarantees you a 4 point buck or your money back and the next two years are free. They have agreed to release enough farm raised stockers at trailheads for the next 10 years to ensure easy hunting and 95% success.

It takes a hard winter like this to thin out the genetically weaker animals, leaving the overall population with better genetic potential. Now you've got a landscape thick with great forage and little peer competition. The region will be fire again, just takes time. Look at the Gunnison basin for a comparison.

manitou1

WKR
They haven't recovered from the 2018 winter.

Mule deer have been on a 30-year decline.

In order for a significant recovery to happen some serious changes need to occur.

ianpadron

WKR
Certainly not the first or last time a bad winter has occurred in the Wyoming Range.

The problem today is that the winter range and migration corridors are so much more fragmented than in the past, making long term recovery a bit more complicated.

I think Wyoming Fish and Game dropped the ball this year and should have offered supplemental feeding. Flame on...

The argument that it's unnatural is asinine imho, as if the oil/mineral leases, interstate highways, and subdivisions are not also unnatural...

I have no problem with development, but we need to mitigate the damage we do with conservation easements, wildlife corridors, etc.

ianpadron

WKR
Research now is indicating summer range is possibly more critical than winter range. Interesting research starting to surface on what investments(time or money) have the largest impacts on a deer herd.
Good point, our local bio mentioned that in our Spring pulse check meetings here in NW Montana.

Checks out too, as the largest migratory herds in the West definitely have the juiciest summer ranges. Region G and H in Wyoming are certainly top tier in terms of resources for critters up top.

Trial153

WKR
Certainly not the first or last time a bad winter has occurred in the Wyoming Range.

The problem today is that the winter range and migration corridors are so much more fragmented than in the past, making long term recovery a bit more complicated.

I think Wyoming Fish and Game dropped the ball this year and should have offered supplemental feeding. Flame on...

The argument that it's unnatural is asinine imho, as if the oil/mineral leases, interstate highways, and subdivisions are not also unnatural...

I have no problem with development, but we need to mitigate the damage we do with conservation easements, wildlife corridors, etc.

This post hits home. all too often I feel like hunters down play and minimize our impact on ecosystems, all to often be hypocrites; They have no problem, blaming wolves, bears, loins Ect while glossing over Walmart parking lots and 20 acre Ranchette and miles of highway fence segmenting habitat.

S.Clancy

WKR

I think this is a much stronger argument to why Utah mule deer numbers are in the shitter. You can't put houses on thousands of acres of winter range and not expect consequences.

It takes a hard winter like this to thin out the genetically weaker animals, leaving the overall population with better genetic potential. Now you've got a landscape thick with great forage and little peer competition. The region will be fire again, just takes time. Look at the Gunnison basin for a comparison.
Exactly.

Remember when the Yellowstone superintendent told everyone to stay home and cancel plans to visit the park - the wifey and I jumped at the news and had the best time ever. We literally drove up north without seeing a single car for 7 miles at a time - unheard of in the last 30 years!

So, I hate to have to tell everyone, but Wy deer mortality is so bad across the state it’s a complete waste of money to step foot in the state. Elk are the same.

This tragedy is expected to last the next 20 years.

There is great news from Colorado! There is a new 4 point rule where the state guarantees you a 4 point buck or your money back and the next two years are free. They have agreed to release enough farm raised stockers at trailheads for the next 10 years to ensure easy hunting and 95% success.
Nope Colorado is closed. They just voted on it. Just trust me.