Is the legendary Region G dead?

TaperPin

WKR
Not to get off topic but there have been some absolute studs being taken between Wamsutter and Bairoil last 2 years.
That’s an interesting area - driving around in it there’s not much there, makes you feel kinda bad for man or beast. The elk that hang out by the sand dunes are kinda cool though. Antelope hunting on dirt two tracks there was a whole lot of looking and not much else - made us start to question if all forms of life were wiped out. Never once saw a mulie glassing every draw and change in scenery we came across.

Makes sense that all it takes are a few hidden draws that don’t see a lot of people and in a couple of years a decent buck pops out.

Jd259

WKR
Not much to show off. I waited 9 years to hunt the year that more than half the deer died. Lol
How did your hunt turn out? I donated my H tag back this year my buddies that I hunt with up there said it was pretty sad at their camp up in G…

Was up elk hunting this year and there sure was a lot of food for them.. hope that helped at least a little.

It takes a hard winter like this to thin out the genetically weaker animals, leaving the overall population with better genetic potential. Now you've got a landscape thick with great forage and little peer competition. The region will be fire again, just takes time. Look at the Gunnison basin for a comparison.

Evidence submitted: https://wyofile.com/they-are-few-they-are-fat-they-are-western-wyomings-deer/

“These are the fattest deer that we’ve ever seen on a population level,” University of Wyoming ecologist and professor Kevin Monteith told WyoFile. “Animals were impressively fat,” across the board in the Wyoming Range, he said.

UW’s research team found portly deer to the south, to the north, and they found fat deer across ages and sexes. Even lactating mothers “were as fat as we’ve ever seen them,” Monteith said.

manitou1

WKR
Evidence submitted: https://wyofile.com/they-are-few-they-are-fat-they-are-western-wyomings-deer/

“These are the fattest deer that we’ve ever seen on a population level,” University of Wyoming ecologist and professor Kevin Monteith told WyoFile. “Animals were impressively fat,” across the board in the Wyoming Range, he said.

UW’s research team found portly deer to the south, to the north, and they found fat deer across ages and sexes. Even lactating mothers “were as fat as we’ve ever seen them,” Monteith said.
Yeah with only a handful of survivors there is little competition for food..
Couple that with record setting moisture this past spring and summer (an anomoly) and you get a some "fatties".

Yeah with only a handful of survivors there is little competition for food..
Couple that with record setting moisture this past spring and summer (an anomoly) and you get a some "fatties".

Yup, and these moms will send a genetical signal to their fawns to "get big."