Is there a one pack setup?

Wrench

WKR
I thought that too before I used them but after several years I've never had noise be an issue, especially with elk.

Im a panhandle of idaho and eastern wa elk hunter....dry brush on my pack is not something that I want to risk.

Two weeks ago I blew a herd at 30 yards in the fog when my pack rubbed a tree and sounded out a warning.

If I were in open country, I wouldn't care...but when you HAVE to hike through dry cover...I'd rather try to sound like animals then velcro.

jwooley

Lil-Rokslider
My Kifaru duplex with nomad bag is the best option Ive found for elk hunting in Colorado.. The wings open up on the nomad allowing you to strap an elk quarter in easily, without having to rearrange all your stuff inside the pack.. It handles an elk quarter with my day gear very easily.
Expensive yes it was by far the best pack Ive owned.. Will not need another pack for a long time..

ridgefire

WKR
I have been really happy with my DT2 with a guide lid and a grab it on a duplex frame. Works great as a day pack or multi day pack. Like others said, buy one used that you think you would like and figure it out from there.

I figured I would get a lot of opinions but would weigh and think about each and every one of them. Just now trying to learn about packs and didn't know if there was a system that worked that might could do it all... maybe a pack that the frame most people find "not even there" and carry it no matter what or even a detachable day pack that was lighter but goes on the frame when needed...kinda like that tenzing model does. I kinda figure that my pack setup would be expanding over the years for more specific purposes but man these things are high so wanted to limit it to one pack this go around if feasible.

Pack fit is a personal thing and different for everyone. If looking for the "not even there" feeling on day packs my order of preference from going round on the pack carousel is: Exo k2>Seek Outside revo>Stone Glacier x-curve> Kifaru Hunting duplex (al stays and carbon arrows). I think many will generally agree with this order. Seek outside might swap with exo for some, they are both unobtrusive but different feeling. Stone glacier and Kifaru are a little more rigid or restrictive feeling but neither would be to an extent that is problematic on day hunts IMO. Kifaru bikini or new ultralight frames likely move more with your body than the duplex I had.

Exo has also been the most comfortable for me with typical pack out loads (60-100 lbs). A lot of others will tell you they are much more comfortable with Kifaru with heavy loads and I believe them.

Ive been bow hunting elk for over 35 years. Ive had most of all the big name packs out there, Mystery ranch, kuiu , kifaru, badlands. I currently still use a few kifarus and a kuiu icon pro 3200. For a one all pack I would strongly suggest something in the 5500 cu. inch or larger. I dont necessarily need a meat shelf, I like the meat in the bag close to my back. But thats me. My buddies have just recently switched over to stone glacier and love thier packs as well. All great packs. My go to pack is my kifaru ultralight frame with 26 in stays and emr 2 bag,. Great setup and I can do anything with this bag. It is a little heavier than the stone glacier setup, but a little more versatile for adding accessories, and a really bullet proof pack. It also carries heavy weight excellent. Good luck on your search your going to get a ton of different suggestions. lol

I have had MR and Kifaru. The MR with the NICE frame was a pretty good pack but the kifaru fit me a little better. Both are sturdy packs. As far as bags, on my MR my bag was the hi-dice which was 3000ci it was too small buy the zipper was similar to the EMR in kifarus line and I loved it for access.

For my kifaru I have an AMR and just picked up a 5000 ci muskeg. I used the AMR a lot but I can't fill it or I'm overloaded so I moved down to the muskeg+ its waterproof which for me is a huge plus.

For me, I made the mistake of going to small, then to big. If you are planning on doing a lot of day hunts or 5days and under I would shoot for something in the 5000ci range. If you need more room you can add pockets.

noexcuses

FNG
I would listen to a lot of the suggestions above and buy used, That way if you don't like it you will not lose much if you sell it. At least that is what I am doing lol.

CampCook

FNG
I love my Exo 3500 and have done hunts up to six days with it. So far I have packed out an elk and two deer with it. Next year we are going in for ten days so I was able to find a 5500 bag on the classifieds here. Aside from the fit of the pack, and the way it handles a load, I like the fact that I can use one frame for all three bags.

TJack303

FNG
I just picked up a mystery ranch metcalf for next year. It's not as popular here as kifaru or exo, but it is plenty capable. The thing aboiut these packs is they all compress down to be able to be used as a day pack and they are big enough for multi day backcountry trips. I did a ton of research on the big names in the pack business, but when I found a deal for a new metcalf for under $400 I couldn't pass it up, when the others are easily over $600. Kifaru is really popular on this site and for good reason they are solid bags. But dont feel like you have to drop $600+ to get a capable bag.

junior

WKR
Stone Glaicer 5900

I have to agree. Lots of great and capable packs out there but the 5900 seems to be the nicest cleanest set up when you go down to bivy mode. I almost always ditch my lid once into my camp area and use the lid as my pillow, buckle it around my sleeping pad and it stays in place.

- - - Updated - - -

that being said pack and frame fit is probably the most important factor. Not easy to test all the options side by side as many are consumer direct or wholesale companies. If youre able, load multiple packs with 60# and hike a few miles to make your decision.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking at the stone Glacier Talus for a one pack set up, other choices are MR Marshall or Kifaru Muskeg.

Wirrex

FNG
I was looking for a do it all pack myself and went stone glacier. The collapsibility is great for a guy who mostly day hunts.

JWP58

WKR
The alps outdoorz commander x pack when on sale is a steal. (NOT THE EXTERNAL FRAME commander)

md126

WKR
Exo 3500 or 5500 will do everything I need it to do and then some. Extremely well made and reasonably priced compared to SG or Kifaru.

Packs down small enough to take on a plane and/or day hunt. Can also pack for long Backcountry hunts and haul heavy loads/meat