UPDATE: Is there a RELIABLE Chrono that is not a $600 lab radar?

philcox

WKR
***UPDATE*** My first MS failure mechanical, but this one was TOTALLY Operator. I had not known all the specific nuances on "tollerances" when attaching the MS. I has a general gist and had had much success in the past on the set up and it "worked". Well come to find out, based on my new setup I was essentially putting the sensor to far away from the bullet path. Ryan Hay from tech support sent me a detailed email, I followed it, and "bang" everything back working. So this was a case of someone not using a tool correctly, then complaining that the tool does not work. IT DOES (and I am happy).

With that said, that new Garmin device looks awful nifty. *** END UPDATE***

I am totally frustrated. My MagnetoSpeed is not working yet again (their tech support is apparently gone for the year). Give that always keep the thing in the box, and have probably used is 20 times max, I now have no confidence when I start a load work up, that it will work. Then I tried my buddies "antenna" type. Before I tried it, I asked "is it reliable?" He responded with "never had issues with it". So, set it up. 1st shot "0" ... we repositioned. Next shot 2715 ... alright now we are cooking ... shot 2 & 3 2790, 2728 (factory loads, I expect that). SO I now have the confidence to shoot my ladder:
Shot 1: "0" ... uh-oh, did a reset
Shot 2: 2711 (I am shooting a 20" 7PRC, so have no clue what I am going to get)
Shot 3: 2715 (hmmm, maybe a node here?)
Shot 4: "0" .... Ok, I'm done any confidence in velocity is not out the window. It' not like I have 5 at each load point to keep shooting.

So, to my original question, is there a REASONABLY priced Chronograph that has proven reliability so I don't have to waste my time and confidence?

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
Lots of Labradars hitting the classifieds the last 2 days. Seems they can be had for 400-450.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Yes, thanks to Garmin, i'm guessing there will be lots of options purchase sub $400 Lab Radars used.
That’s awesome. I’m gonna wait for a bit. I might even be able to get Garmin at a discount through a couple channels!

Underandoverit

Lil-Rokslider
My Magnetospeed Sporter has been rock solid. If you're having problems I suspect you have a bad unit. I'd either ship it back to them or save up for a Garmin. Pretty sure you'll be disappointed with a Lab Radar. They're all over the classifieds after Garmin released theirs.

Torque

FNG
The Garmin looks really nice. Of course, I purchased the True Ballistics Chronograph about 3 months ago. It is more expensive, but it has been flawless in use so far and extremely simple to use.

LabRadar made in Canada
True Ballistics made in Czech Republic
Garmin Xero C1 made in Taiwan (Republic of China)
MagnetoSpeed made in USA
PACT optical Chronographs made in USA
Caldwell optical Chronographs made in China (People’s Republic of China)

Gila

WKR
LabRadar made in Canada
True Ballistics made in Czech Republic
Garmin Xero C1 made in Taiwan (Republic of China)
MagnetoSpeed made in USA
PACT optical Chronographs made in USA
Caldwell optical Chronographs made in China (People’s Republic of China)
Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX with Bluetooth is made in Rockford, Illinois. Has worked well for me….