Is there such a thing as a stock Grizzly semi-auto?

TheCougar

WKR
I was seriously considering getting a Glock 20 for my Montana hunt this year, but I came across several threads with posts about how they modified their G20s to be capable of handling hard cast bear loads. Is there such a thing as a factory stock 10mm SA that is ready out of the box? I already mess with my bows and rifles and packs and gear, I don’t have the bandwidth or money to mess with a bear gun. I was hoping for a Glock, since I am familiar with them and I get a solid military price on them, but I was deterred by some of the posts I read. Any other suggestions? Are these guys wrong, and I can use a stock pistol without any issues?

Tod osier

WKR
I’m shooting a g20 and have only added tritium sights, so stock internals. I'm carrying double tap hard cast 200s in the woods and the function perfectly in the stock gun. I practice with Fmj 180s, but shoot a couple mags of hard cast every session to check function. No problems so far. Works for me.

I’d do it differently we’re I shooting more hard cast.

mcseal2

WKR
My G20 is at the gunsmiths now. He is checking to see if he can figure out my hardcast issues. I also traded my Sig 1911 45 for a Sig Tacops 1911 in 10mm. It shoots great and has had no problem feeding hardcast.

I cant say that I would buy another G20 for bears, but it could just be a problem with my individual gun and not the G20. If you are ok with using the Underwood extreme penetrator ammo mine shoots that fine. I heard from several people who like those in Glocks.

duchntr

WKR
Get a g20 and leave it alone. Hardcast and stock barrel has always worked fine for me,Ive used 200 and 230 gr double tap, 200 and 220 gr buffalo boar and 200gr underwood all runs flawlessly.

ndbuck09

WKR
I'm surprised at the guys saying their G20s handle the hardcast loads stock. I had to get a heavier spring for mine so that it would cycle reliably. I believe a 22lb spring. I believe they come stock with an 18lb spring. That's all I've done to mine though, and it's about as easy and cheap of a customization as you can get. I wouldn't even classify it as messing lol. Field strip, pull old spring, new one in, done.

Afhunter1

WKR
I carry a G29 unmodified other than ghost ring sights but if I was going to a high bear density area I would probably carry my Ruger 1911 10mm.

I can kill a bear with the glock at charging distance. I could shoot him at 75yds with the ruger.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I'm surprised at the guys saying their G20s handle the hardcast loads stock. I had to get a heavier spring for mine so that it would cycle reliably. I believe a 22lb spring. I believe they come stock with an 18lb spring. That's all I've done to mine though, and it's about as easy and cheap of a customization as you can get. I wouldn't even classify it as messing lol. Field strip, pull old spring, new one in, done.

That’s good to know just a spring swap will fix all the feeding and cycling issues.

I’m shooting a g20 and have only added tritium sights, so stock internals. I'm carrying double tap hard cast 200s in the woods and the function perfectly in the stock gun. I practice with Fmj 180s, but shoot a couple mags of hard cast every session to check function. No problems so far. Works for me.

I’d do it differently we’re I shooting more hard cast.
Exact same here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I am running 220 Underwood’s in my g20 gen4. All I shoot is hardcast so I I ditched the polygonal barrel and replaced it with a kkm it’s also got a set of trijicon tritiums on it, stock spring though.

Any recommendations for a pack holster for a g20. I'm running a mystery ranch bino harness and plan to carry by bear spray below it for stalks where I drop my pack. Looked at the mystery ranch semi holsters and the velco security strap looked awful suspect. Thanks in advance ...

Mine G20 is stock other than night sights. Runs most hardcast just fine if I clean it once in a while. Factory springs, factory barrel... all that.

My observation at the range and various handgun classes is that highly modded guns frequently have reduced reliability. So mine aren't tweaked much.

If I bought another, I'd probably consider an XD, but am pretty satisfied with the way this one has ticked.

Any recommendations for a pack holster for a g20. I'm running a mystery ranch bino harness and plan to carry by bear spray below it for stalks where I drop my pack. Looked at the mystery ranch semi holsters and the velco security strap looked awful suspect. Thanks in advance ...
I just listened to the Cody rich spring bear podcast and he advertised a holster for the bino harness Razcogear is the brand

mcseal2

WKR
The razco holsters are great. Got a few for my Glock 20.

I have tried my G20 with all stock parts. Then I tried different mag springs and recoil springs. Also tried a KKM barrel. Maybe its just my gun but it never has fed hardcast well yet.

mcseal2

WKR
I messages the guy from the alaskan ballistics youtube channel on the 10mm forum about bear loads. He suggested the federal bonded 180gr jsp for guns that dont like hardcast. In his tests they didnt expand much and penetrated very well.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have a Glock 40 which is a long-slide 10mm that will squeeze out a few more FPS than the G20. It is pre-milled for a red dot so I dropped in a KKM match barrel and a Burris FF3.

I use hard-cast, flat-nose Underwood ammo all the time and love it.

JohnnyB

WKR
My G20 does fine with Buffalo Bore hard cast. There are also some offerings of solid copper bullets out now for the 10mm if it is a worry for you.

YMMV but the only thing I swap out on Glocks are sights.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Glock 40 which is a long-slide 10mm that will squeeze out a few more FPS than the G20. It is pre-milled for a red dot so I dropped in a KKM match barrel and a Burris FF3.

I use hard-cast, flat-nose Underwood ammo all the time and love it.
I thought 10mm was a long 40? Isn't 10mm case length 25mm and 40 is 22mm? I've heard people shooting 40s out of a Glock 20 but doubt the opposite would work? What am I missing?