Is this Kryptek Sheep hunt film satire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffP_Or

WKR
It's frustrating that we constantly have to deal with this BS from so called "top outfitters" in the west, and it seems like social media engagement is the reason they get themselves into trouble, whether it's SMO in Idaho.....
Not that the issue at hand in the video is necessarily fully at the hands of the outfitter but the quote above has historical implications as well. A quick look into the history of Todd Longgood, one of the contacts/owners of SMO and - subsequent to the plea - a former Mule Deer Foundation board member casts a further pall on the situation. That name is also associated with Whitney Land Company a real estate company which deals in ranches and hunting properties.
Gotcha, so it was either DIY or use SMO. Thanks for clarifying
Indeed, according to the website, Sheep Meadow Outfitter - a dba for Sheep Mountain - has a lock in unit 11 in Idaho and "...SMO has the exclusive outfitter rights. We have a very detailed inventory of the rams within the unit..." [which also speaks to the pay-n-pick approach discussed above].

The History
Sheep Meadow Outfitters [sheep mountain]
SMO Contacts

Stemmed from 2014 incident, investigation from 2016 and plea was subsequent; the three year period has passed but it still sits uneasily. It is unfortunate when the publicized hunts are sketchy, then those who work hard or DIY or whatever are often questioned. I kind of feel for the second fiddle in this specific orchestra.

If anyone here draws an Oregon tag for sheep or goats, you will most likely hear from SMO. They often have a representative or two at the tag holder orientation. I have followed up with at least one goat hunter - he hunted with them and he felt it was a good hunt and would recommend them - this was a number of years ago but subsequent to the Longgood issues.

Reactions: OMB

TSAMP

WKR
“Gun malfunction”? More like the hunter malfunctioned
I have a suspicion that he did not eject his round when he shot it with the other hunters rifle. He simply handed it back. So once that person had their opportunity, they pulled the trigger and click..

Pure speculation, but big pockets might have screwed the other guy on that one as well...

svivian

WKR
I have a suspicion that he did not eject his round when he shot it with the other hunters rifle. He simply handed it back. So once that person had their opportunity, they pulled the trigger and click..

Pure speculation, but big pockets might have screwed the other guy on that one as well...
You Nailed it

JjamesIII

WKR
The action starts around 7:30.

The muzzle flagging after the first miss..
They are talking about the ethics of the hunt...
They pose with the rifle in front of the trophy displayed like it was a precision instrument critical in the hunt. Satire? It has to be right?
I can't believe Kryptek posted this thing.. Then again the muley freak guys are sportin kryptek these days so maybe gut and ass shootin critters with sweet custom rifles is their gig.
Wow, just wow 🙄. So many people have desperately been trying to get a tag like that and it was wasted on some inept rich dude pretending to be hunter.

NB7

WKR
Ever watch a nature video where you're rooting for the baby impala to get away from the cheetah, even though you're a predator and hunter yourself, and know what's going on is only nature being nature?

Usually when I watch a hunting video, it's the opposite. I'm waiting for the (hopefully ethical) kill shot on the game animal and culmination of the hunt.

Watching this made me feel like watching the baby impala again. I wanted that poor sheep to crest that ridge never to be seen again while leaving the hunter sitting there scratching his head in disbelief.

Hunting and specifically killing sometimes just ain't pretty, but holy hell what worse of a production video made to help drive anti-hunting sentiment and portray hunters in a terrible light. They should have kept this one under wraps. Def will steer me clear of Kryptec

Last edited:
Is the Outfitter still owned by the same person as when this happened?

They had a hunter who under the supervision of 2 guides killed 2 sheep in 2014. The hunter and outfitter got off with a warning.

woods89

WKR
I'll probably never get to hunt them, but I'd definitely be willing to pay a bit more in any state I apply in if it would do away with auction tags. I've said it before, the way some wild sheep tags are administered is the dirty little part of the NA model that we ignore because we all want sheep on the mountain. Just my opinion.

bpurtz

WKR
Not that the issue at hand in the video is necessarily fully at the hands of the outfitter but the quote above has historical implications as well. A quick look into the history of Todd Longgood, one of the contacts/owners of SMO and - subsequent to the plea - a former Mule Deer Foundation board member casts a further pall on the situation. That name is also associated with Whitney Land Company a real estate company which deals in ranches and hunting properties.
I thought that was Longgood in the video - I suppose it was intentional that he wasn't introduced as part of the team...

Longgood lost his hunting privileges for 3 years in Nov 2016 but I guess is able to participate in this 2019 hunt???

TheTone

WKR
Is the Outfitter still owned by the same person as when this happened?

They had a hunter who under the supervision of 2 guides killed 2 sheep in 2014. The hunter and outfitter got off with a warning.
That was a different outfitter that has since sold the areas outfitting rights to SMO

zacattack

WKR
“I knew it was going to be a gun fight” couldn’t fit that video any better. That quite is as cringey as the rest of it. Like we’re they shooting back?

I’d be pissed if I was the guy who actually drew the tag. Here’s a hunt of a lifetime and the old guy just emptied his rifle and only killed grass. Now old guy wants to use that guys rifle? I’d tell him to frick off I’m shooting now.

Definitely makes hunters look bad. We all miss shots, but what happened in that video looked like a cluster f…spray n pray was their motto.

I can’t believe they would post that nonsense online. What was even the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.