Island deer hunt

Just a quick update for anyone who’s interested the ferry is running this year and they plan to make a run for the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Been thinking about doing this hunt for a while now. Might have to give it a shot this fall.

Hmmmm that’s odd I called last week and they said I had the last spot on the second boat, either way it’s going to be crowded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have or know of an available seat on a charter boat for the hunt? Got in at the last minute..

Well, I’m sure it will depend on who you ask, but success rates were 81% but I know a few folks who harvested multiple does or multiple deer. There was a record 196 or 198 people on the island rifle hunting, plus a few groups bow hunting the previous weeks. Someone even had their buck head stolen. I had a great time, but the volume of people hunting was concerning to me for future hunting.

The way I took it when we went that was the goal of the nps was to wipe them out since they were originally planted there by some rich Ford executives in an attempt to start a hunting club.

The way I took it when we went that was the goal of the nps was to wipe them out since they were originally planted there by some rich Ford executives in an attempt to start a hunting club.
I do believe your right. The purpose of the hunt is to remove deer from the island. Let me correct myself, when I said I was concerned about the volume of hunters and future hunting, it wasn’t meant towards the number of deer shot. It was for general enjoyment of being able to “still hunt” a place without bumping into other people and screwing up their hunt.
There is also the concern of safety. The higher the volume of hunters equals less space for one to wander.

The NPS is considering a lottery draw for next season to limit the number of hunters. They will be having a meeting about it this winter.