ISO recommendations for a good entry level tripod primarily for glassing with binos and a small spotter.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get into a new tripod primarily for glassing with binos and smaller spotter, but also for some photography. I want it to be lightweight for backpacking. Probably carbon. I'm not sure on ball head vs the other. I've taken a look at Vortex, Slik, Surui, but don't know what I'm needing. I don't need top of the line just functional.
Also I'm 6' and most of the tripods are considerably shorter than that even at max extension. Does everybody glass sitting? Anyone glass standing?
Thanks for any information

WestNE

WKR
I've got a Leofoto LS-224 that is incredible solid and light. I found one of the small fluid heads that Leupold uses on there compact carbon tripod. Great setup!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Doug/Joel at Cameraland had deals going on the Sirui carbon and fluid head. I bought one, great set up that won't break the bank.

I almost never stand for any significant amount of time while glassing, sitting most of the time. You don't want to go too cheap. A tripod that shakes/vibrates in wind is nearly worthless.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks those are some nice options. As a novice who is just starting my big country glassing career I am not sure about $300+ tripod set ups
Are the Vortex any good or should I avoid those? Any 100-$200 models that are decent?

Hi
I am in M-F 8-6, Sat 9-5
Call me to discuss the options that would work best for you. We have the Sirui 15/15 promo on now. We discount 15% and they rebate 15% of our price.
Look forward to hear from you
Stay safe
Joel
516-217-1000

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
Hi
I am in M-F 8-6, Sat 9-5
Call me to discuss the options that would work best for you. We have the Sirui 15/15 promo on now. We discount 15% and they rebate 15% of our price.
Look forward to hear from you
Stay safe
Joel
516-217-1000
I called Joel and asked about replacing a Manfrotto I can't change the head on. He told me to look at a deal on a Surui w A5 head.....unreal deal he gave me. Got it 3 days later & have used it already for glassing and as a base for a lazer level for construction this week.
Very stable & high quality. I need a tripod to shoot off often here and this will work excellent for it too. I'm 6'2" and can stand glassing even in the NM spring winds,which I rarely do. I usually sit glassing & spotting & not on a skylined ridge........lol
Joel & Cameraland are just good folks.

Last edited:
I have the surui model from gohunt that comes with the va-5 head. Its the aluminum model and I really like it. There is not a huge weight difference between the carbon model and its was just under 200. The head alone is around 160 or so and I find having a great head to be a great help.

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks those are some nice options. As a novice who is just starting my big country glassing career I am not sure about $300+ tripod set ups
Are the Vortex any good or should I avoid those? Any 100-$200 models that are decent?
I have a Vortex SSP with ball head. Down low it is good for binos but not great for a spotter. It is pretty light which is a plus. Extended it does a poor job of stabilizing both binos and spotter, especially with any sort of breeze. The Sirui that replaced it is miles better. Seriously, give Joel a call at Cameraland.

When it comes to glassing get the best equipment you can afford. The better the equipment the better the experience. If you cannot afford better stuff then I suggest you try and save until you can. If you buy cheap equipment and it breaks out in the field then your hunt might be ruined. You might be able to get it replaced under warranty but if it broke once it is likely to break again. Granted everything has the potential to break but less likely with higher quality. There is nothing wrong with buying high quality gently used equipment either. This is what I usually do as I hardly ever pay retail for my gear.

That said...

I am 6'7". I glass sitting down 98% of the time as to not stand out as much in the field. I do have tripods that get tall enough to stand behind. Tall tripods are typically heavier due to the added materials needed to achieve more height. Thus taller tripods are not real conducive to backpack trips so I tend to only use them near the road. If you want a tripod that you can use while standing buy one that gets you close to your height with LEG HEIGHT versus center column. Center columns are not as stable as the apex and can lead to shaky optics which means eye strain. You also want cameras closer to the apex for better quality photos. Like I said height adds weight. My Really Right Stuff TVC-34L MK2 is 68.4" at the apex but it weighs 4.55lbs. When I install my RRS BH-55LR it is 72.1" but tips the scale at 6.51lbs. She is not light but she is sturdy. When compared to other brands in the same height class she is not that heavy. She just isn't much fun to pack far. But I do it.

Pan heads are more enjoyable to use versus ball heads. Pan heads are obviously able to pan left/right with a turn knob but they also tilt up/down with a separate turn knob/handle that will ONLY allow up/down movement. Where as with a ball head when loosening the adjustment knob the ball can FLOP left/right/up/down in any combination and can do so with a quickness. Pan heads are overall easier to make adjustments which makes glassing with them more proficient. Ball heads are generally lighter than pan heads. There are exceptions but lighter pan heads are definitely more money.

If you ever plan to shoot a rifle from a tripod then ball heads are better suited for this task.

There are also fluid heads which are usually for videography. They function like a pan head but there is a fluid inside that helps support the load and stabilize the image while making adjustments. These are generally heavy and not backpack friendly.

As far as what brand to use? I have no experience with the brands you listed. I have used Really Right Stuff, Manfrotto, and Vanguard. Slik and Surui get great reviews. I personally would avoid Vortex because if their tripods are like their glass you will be using the warranty. Might check out Induro Gear they get great reviews as well.

The best all around tripod is the Sirui T024SKVA5. It is carbon Fiber and the VA5 head is the BEST head under $300 on the market and in the kit you are paying about $100 for it after we do the 15% off. The kit, normally $299.90 is $254.92 and through the end of the month Sirui is giving back 15% of the selling price, about another $38 off.
For your photography I have ball heads at very reasonable prices so you can do both.
Give me a call if you are interested. I'm in 8-6 M-F 10-5:30 Saturday

Joel
516-217-1000

Last edited:

maj

FNG
OP-- what will your photography set up be for this? That'll have some impact on what tripods and heads you should consider.

ChrisAU

WKR
My Slik Sprint Mini II is 20.4 oz with the center pole removed and is plenty tall for anything sitting. $80 online.

pc3

WKR
I'm looking to get into a new tripod primarily for glassing with binos and smaller spotter, but also for some photography. I want it to be lightweight for backpacking. Probably carbon. I'm not sure on ball head vs the other. I've taken a look at Vortex, Slik, Surui, but don't know what I'm needing. I don't need top of the line just functional.
Also I'm 6' and most of the tripods are considerably shorter than that even at max extension. Does everybody glass sitting? Anyone glass standing?
Thanks for any information

I bought the promaster 525 and the promaster cine spch 20 head, I have used it sitting a few times and works really well with the Meopta s2.....everyone raves about the sirui Va5 head , no doubt its better it has an anti "flop" feature I think (maybe I should have sprung for that head). But I can say the cine 20 head and promaster 525 works well and is economical.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
OP-- what will your photography set up be for this? That'll have some impact on what tripods and heads you should consider.
Probably a DSLR Or smaller nothing too crazy on the lenses