Issues with new knight ultralight

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
I gave up reading every post but there is some bad advise in here. DO NOT use wads with Thors. You should not be swabbing every shot. I would say cleaning every 5-8 shots would be plenty and your gun will tell you it needs cleaned when it either gets too hard to load or groups open up. I would call the owner of Thor for advise. Your charge weight seems low. I am running 110 grains of BH209 with 300 grain Thors in my Ultralight. I have found the breach plug to be somewhat particular with the preferred primers. I would suggest trying a few different primers.

What is the Bad advice you speak of?

OP
F
Of course no one is there to actually watch what you may be doing, but if the primers are good, the BH hasn't been compromised, there's no reason that rifle should not have went off the second time. UNLESS.... you have been using way to much lubricant after cleaning, OR... there is a possibility that something might be wrong with the breech plug. I would rather first believe its something being done wrong before it being a bad OEM breech plug. However, stranger things have happened.

If you have to push a bullet and propellant out, push it out the barrel unless its not possible at all. Even pushing it out the barrel it ends up being a mess, but it doesn't push all the propellant into the trigger assembly. If you have to push it out the breech, remove the trigger assembly first.
Use a Hoppe's coated patch and cleaning jag and push it out the muzzle.

Make sure the stock is no where near then........Get some non-chlorinated brakleen and spray the hell out of the trigger assembly, which should dissolve any BH in the trigger assembly. Now, once you spray brakleen in that trigger, it removes ALL the lubricants.

DO NOT lubricate your trigger with oil. Re-lubricate the trigger assembly with lighter fluid. Lighter fluid contains just enough lubricant to lightly coat the trigger assembly without gumming it up. VERIFY IT WORKS PROPERLY.

If you plan on shooting the rifle the next day or today even, after cleaning it and making sure that the barrel is completely dry, don't lubricate it. Its not going to rust up or pit just over night. When you install the breech plug, if you're using grease, do not get it on the face of the breech plug.

Re-assemble the rifle and VERIFY that the trigger is working properly FIRST. If everything is working properly, then as mentioned prior, fire 3 primers only. Listen for any difference in the sound of the primers. All 3 primers should sound the same.
Load it with your normal charge and bullet. Don't swab between rounds and if you have to, to get following bullets loaded, use just a dry patch. If they're loading too tight where you have to drive them down in a fouled barrel, the bullets are sized wrong.

If the rifle doesn't shoot the following rounds after that process, then there is likely some kind of issue with the OEM breech plug. At that point, my personal preference would be to contact Jeff Fisk at Bestill Creations. The other plug mentioned will also work.
Unfortunately I don't have any brakleen, ill have to order as my local auto stores don't seem to carry it. Will have to order lighter fluid too. Going to be a bit before I can get back to the range, time is running out for me here, thinking of ordering a backup muzz incase this doesn't get figured out.

ENCORE

WKR
Unfortunately I don't have any brakleen, ill have to order as my local auto stores don't seem to carry it. Will have to order lighter fluid too. Going to be a bit before I can get back to the range, time is running out for me here, thinking of ordering a backup muzz incase this doesn't get figured out.
Goodness, where do you live???
You should be able to find both brakleen at any auto store and the lighter fluid and just about any store, even a mom & pop???

ENCORE

WKR
sabotloader will know for sure, but it appears they coated that so that the owner didn't mess with the sear adjustment.
Been a long time since I had Knight triggers.

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Does this like right to you guys? View attachment 202151

That is correct, They set the trigger at the Factory and put that Goop over the Adjustment Screws to keep them in place. My Knight Mountaineer had that same Looking stuff on it. Unless you REALLY understand how to adjust a Trigger, and Safety check it, I don’t advise you to attempt adjusting it.

OP
F
You should be able to find both brakleen at any auto store and the lighter fluid and just about any store, even a mom & pop???
Your right encore they have some at a Walmart near close. I checked the auto zones stock online and it says out of stock. I can probably wrestle up some lighter fluid too, just gotta go looking

OP
F
That is correct, They set the trigger at the Factory and put that Goop over the Adjustment Screws to keep them in place. My Knight Mountaineer had that same Looking stuff on it. Unless you REALLY understand how to adjust a Trigger, and Safety check it, I don’t advise you to attempt adjusting it.
Thanks lewis, one less rabbit hole to go down haha

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Lewis is correct.

Regardless the bullet you're shooting bullet to bore, ALWAYS use a wad, wool or veggie, when shooting BH209.

Fury bullets are excellent bullets, accurate and devastating on game. The Fury Star Tip MZ is an excellent choice.

Fury is coming out with a NEW bullet shortly for the 50cal shooters very soon. Dennis is working very hard to have the bullet available quickly. I believe testing is just about complete.

Nice looking bullet . Are the copper jacket?

OP
F
Triggers back alive! Kinda did a weird hang fire thing, a half second delay between trigger pull and hammer release but dry firing it a few more time brought it back to normal. I'll make sure to incorporate cleaning this out every time.
Encore thank you again man. Your really taking some weight off my shoulders over here

Back to the breech plug issue, I contacted Jeff fisk, he would want me to send in the barrell for 2 weeks. I'm afraid with the season coming up so quick I don't want to miss the practice time. Ill look into purchasing the Lehigh one sabotloader suggested tonight.

Thank you guys!

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Triggers back alive! Kinda did a weird hang fire thing, a half second delay between trigger pull and hammer release but dry firing it a few more time brought it back to normal. I'll make sure to incorporate cleaning this out every time.
Encore thank you again man. Your really taking some weight off my shoulders over here

Back to the breech plug issue, I contacted Jeff fisk, he would want me to send in the barrell for 2 weeks. I'm afraid with the season coming up so quick I don't want to miss the practice time. Ill look into purchasing the Lehigh one sabotloader suggested tonight.

Thank you guys!

When you get the Lehigh Breech Plug you will need to Headspace it Correctly. Also Measure and Sort your primers. Back when i had my Knight Mountaineer, i was using Blue Box Winchester 209s, i found they Varied Quite a Bit in length from the Same Box, About .298 to like .302, After headspacing my New Lehigh Breech Plug, I could Shoot .298-.300, the .301s Made for Somewhat Sticky Extraction, and the .302s were to tight, i could Shoot them, But extraction was HORRID

Here in this Video, after my 1st shot you can hear me mention “STICKY Extraction” This was Before I realized that ALL Primers are not the Same Length From the Same Box, it was after this Shoot that i Measured and Sorted all of my Primers

Here is a Video i did on Headspacing my New Lehigh Breech Plug for ZERO ”Blow Back” My Rifle is a Knight Mountaineer, Identical Action to your Ultra Lite

Idaholewis

Lil-Rokslider
Also, You mention the No Excuse Bullets Starting tight, But getting loose as you push them Down (That is NOT uncommon with Pure Lead Bullets)

Be aware that you “might“ have Problems With Reliable Ignition here with BH209, BH needs X Amount of Compression in order to Reliably ignite. The Combination of a Wool Felt Wad, and a Loose Fitting Conical “COULD” be a Problem for you? It SURE was for me!! I had 2 Bullets Pop out of the Barrel and Roll down the Rd in front of me 😁 (It’s funny now looking back on it, But it sure wasn’t then!) Luckily i had some TIGHT fitting Vege Fibre Wads along with me That allowed me to Push HARD on the Powder Charge and the TIGHT Vege Wads Held, If i had not brought these along, i would have had to go home without getting to Fire my New Rifle, It simply would NOT Fire With my 1/8” Wool Felt Wads, and “Slip Fit” Bullets, And This was with my New Lehigh Breech Plug, Correctly Headspaced. I Personally am not a Fan of BH209 Powder, I don’t trust it. I did away with it, and Went back to Real Blackpowder.

You need to learn, and Follow BH209s Requirements to the T, if not you will likely have problems with ignition.

Last edited:
OP
F
Today's range session yielded a similar result as the last, 1st shot went off, wouldn't fire again. I fired 3 primers before I shot.They all sounded the same. When I removed the breech plug, I used the 1/8 drill bit to check for carbon, it seemed pretty dirty.

The lehigh plug and an OEM knight plug are on the way. Curious if its just this particular knight plug or what.

OP
F
When you get the Lehigh Breech Plug you will need to Headspace it Correctly. Also Measure and Sort your primers. Back when i had my Knight Mountaineer, i was using Blue Box Winchester 209s, i found they Varied Quite a Bit in length from the Same Box, About .298 to like .302, After headspacing my New Lehigh Breech Plug, I could Shoot .298-.300, the .301s Made for Somewhat Sticky Extraction, and the .302s were to tight, i could Shoot them, But extraction was HORRID

Here in this Video, after my 1st shot you can hear me mention “STICKY Extraction” This was Before I realized that ALL Primers are not the Same Length From the Same Box, it was after this Shoot that i Measured and Sorted all of my Primers

Here is a Video i did on Headspacing my New Lehigh Breech Plug for ZERO ”Blow Back” My Rifle is a Knight Mountaineer, Identical Action to your Ultra Lite

Hey lewis so will I still use the plastic jackets with the lehigh? I ordered the adapted with it too for my a rpj bolt. I kinda wanna ditch the plastic jacket setup and just go bare primer. I was sold on the waterproof, but I think it could be contributing to my woes.

Thanks!

ENCORE

WKR
Today's range session yielded a similar result as the last, 1st shot went off, wouldn't fire again. I fired 3 primers before I shot.They all sounded the same. When I removed the breech plug, I used the 1/8 drill bit to check for carbon, it seemed pretty dirty.

The lehigh plug and an OEM knight plug are on the way. Curious if its just this particular knight plug or what.
Do you have any other primers other than muzzleloader primers? If you have a WIN2009 try that, or any other 209 primer you have short of anything marked "muzzleloader".

OP
F
Do you have any other primers other than muzzleloader primers? If you have a WIN2009 try that, or any other 209 primer you have short of anything marked "muzzleloader".
I have some from a brand called Rio, but I think they are for shotguns. They did work okay in my gun, but is it possible I damaged the breech plug using them?

Other then that I have the 777 primers, but as stated earlier they are probably not hot enough.

Kinda slim pickens around my parts these days. Most gun stores can't keep much in stock. I suppose I could order some.

I'm flying into Denver for my elk hunt, so I'm planning on buying powder and primers there. It would stink if my gun was super particular, in the chance its preferred primer wasn't avail.
I suppose I can and should do an online order for pickup in the store, that way I'll have what I need waiting for me

ENCORE

WKR
I have some from a brand called Rio, but I think they are for shotguns. They did work okay in my gun, but is it possible I damaged the breech plug using them?

Other then that I have the 777 primers, but as stated earlier they are probably not hot enough.

Kinda slim pickens around my parts these days. Most gun stores can't keep much in stock. I suppose I could order some.

I'm flying into Denver for my elk hunt, so I'm planning on buying powder and primers there. It would stink if my gun was super particular, in the chance its preferred primer wasn't avail.
I suppose I can and should do an online order for pickup in the store, that way I'll have what I need waiting for me
The reason I asked about a different primer, was to check one more possible contributing factor, the primers. It is something that you can check while you're waiting for a new breech plug.

Speaking of breech plugs.......... Have you contacted Knight about this issue? If so, did you talk to Justin Perry? If not, I'd suggest it.

I just sent the link to this page to Justin........

OP
F
The reason I asked about a different primer, was to check one more possible contributing factor, the primers. It is something that you can check while you're waiting for a new breech plug.

Speaking of breech plugs.......... Have you contacted Knight about this issue? If so, did you talk to Justin Perry? If not, I'd suggest it.
I'll give the rios another shot. I emailed knight a few weeks ago, have not heard anything back. If I have a chance I'll give them a call, I have a 1 year old, so not a ton if time to chat on the phone anymore