It's on the move.

kylem

Lil-Rokslider
I just saw this too. Not surprised it spread but definitely disappointing to hear.

I'm not surprised, either. I am very interested in seeing what additional test results come back and what IDFG's response is going to be.

OP
Customweld
I'm not surprised, either. I am very interested in seeing what additional test results come back and what IDFG's response is going to be.
There should be a pretty good batch of samples that came through the check station on Midvale Hill

There should be a pretty good batch of samples that came through the check station on Midvale Hill
I would tend to agree, but I went through there on Oct 13th and the check station was non-existent. Looks like they waited until the weekend to open it up, so the the first 4 days of dead animals just drove on by. That tells me that they give zero real F's and it's just a show.

If they cared it would be mandatory testing and check stations would be manned as soon as any kill season was open.

OP
Customweld
I would tend to agree, but I went through there on Oct 13th and the check station was non-existent. Looks like they waited until the weekend to open it up, so the the first 4 days of dead animals just drove on by. That tells me that they give zero real F's and it's just a show.

If they cared it would be mandatory testing and check stations would be manned as soon as any kill season was open.
They definitely missed those opening days. Funny thing is I ran into one at the bottom of Van Deusen here in Emmett on Saturday. They haven’t had that station set up that Kate in the year for a long time. My guess would be they were looking for samples coming off of the butte.

OP
Customweld

And to agree with you, I think it’s just a show as well. They want to make it look like they are doing something, even if it’s just fluff.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I ran into a check station about a half mile from highway 21 at lucky peak coming out at midnight. Fully staffed. they pulled the lymph nodes off my brothers buck. I just wanted to get home to bed haha

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
Customweld
Am I the only person who read the study that ticks can carry cwd and transmit it to deer?
I didn’t read the study, but it was mentioned on one of the Rokcasts with Robby and Toby (from IFG). According to him, ticks can carry it.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider

Theres the link if you want to read the study. They're careful not to say that ticks directly transmit it, but 1+1=2 here.

It kinda breaks the narrative that baiting/etc are the main factors.

I've gotten Lyme from a tick, so I think it makes the most sense out of all the transmission pathways.

OP
Customweld

Theres the link if you want to read the study. They're careful not to say that ticks directly transmit it, but 1+1=2 here.

It kinda breaks the narrative that baiting/etc are the main factors.

I've gotten Lyme from a tick, so I think it makes the most sense out of all the transmission pathways.
It certainly makes sense to me. It made a helluva run away from the initial area. Having an additional carrier is definitely helping it.

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
And to agree with you, I think it’s just a show as well. They want to make it look like they are doing something, even if it’s just fluff.
This is something I reflect on frequently, I'm not sure there is a consensus on how to prevent the spread of CWD. I also am not sure there could ever be an effective plan against CWD. I am continually frustrated with IDFG management, however, regarding CWD, testing and knowledge seem to be the only thing we can do. thoughts on what else we can do?

OP
Customweld
This is something I reflect on frequently, I'm not sure there is a consensus on how to prevent the spread of CWD. I also am not sure there could ever be an effective plan against CWD. I am continually frustrated with IDFG management, however, regarding CWD, testing and knowledge seem to be the only thing we can do. thoughts on what else we can do?
I’m not sure that there is a consistent consensus among the states that are dealing with it. I wish they were more transparent and just come right out and say “this is new and we don’t know what to do”. Are they meeting with the other western states that have had it, to see what is working and what isn’t? I wholeheartedly disagreed with the wholesale slaughter in the SR corridor last winter. All of those deer killed, and it still turned up 50 miles south, 2 units away. What else is able to spread it? Birds, wolves or careless people that are disposing carcasses?
Overall, I’m satisfied with IFG . I can appreciate the situation that they are constantly in. Between herding the half million cats that hold licenses , placating IFB and their legislator cronies and trying to keep the the herds healthy.

jmez

WKR
1+1 does not equal two with that study. The study in no way shows that ticks can transmit CWD between deer.

The exact same type of "logic and science" that brought you the covideans.