Javelina Thread

Mt Al

WKR
Ran one over last week crossing a wash bottom.
How Dare You.jpg

The Javelina Unlimited Society Team - Forever - Office of Finance and Forecasting (JUST F OFF) will be in touch with you on issuing a personal Statement Of Responsibility And REpentance (SO RARE) about this deeply unfortunate incident. Please donate as much as you can to JUST F OFF so we can protect this vulnerable species.

Back on track: I'd also like to learn more about javelina hunting and maybe hunt one someday. Seems like the info goes in the Hog hunting sub forum. Never seen one and hope to tag one in the next few years!

DFloTN

FNG
When you get one, I’d highly recommend the kimchi tacos from the Meateater cookbook. Absolutely fantastic!

We’ve done them 5-6 times now and they’re a crowd favorite even among non-hunters.

7mm-08

WKR
They're a cool species, for sure. Tough littler buggers to live in that inhospitable environment.

Beendare

WKR
Those buggers are made for bowhunting!

Sneak in close and shoot one…then hold still and let the Chinese Fire drill ensue. Its hilarious. I’ve shot many over the last few decades…most a long time ago. Its tougher now as you can’t just shoot them without a tag.

DFloTN

FNG
Those buggers are made for bowhunting!

Sneak in close and shoot one…then hold still and let the Chinese Fire drill ensue. Its hilarious. I’ve shot many over the last few decades…most a long time ago. Its tougher now as you can’t just shoot them without a tag.

That is the best description of Javelina bowhunting. Spook that first one and you’re in a shooting gallery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My oldest son and I went to AZ last year as a “Senior Trip”. Plan to do the same in 25 with my youngest. A very fun and relaxing hunt where you’re glassing a ton of great coues deer and desert mulie country. Great time of year to be walking around in the desert scrub. Do NOT, under any circumstances, calculate your cost per pound of meat!

I didn't draw this year, but should be back next year. I love hunting these little critters! The last one was with the Muzzle loader. Might try the pistol next year. Mostly just a great time to get out of the weather here at home and enjoy the desert!

Stalker69

WKR
We go every year to Texas to hunt them, it's a blast. ( archery). But my days of going down there are probably over, my friend that I went down there with, killed himself the day after Christmas this last year. I liked hunting them more then any other Critter. In fact we would be down there right now, if he was still here.

GMann

FNG
We go every year to Texas to hunt them, it's a blast. ( archery). But my days of going down there are probably over, my friend that I went down there with, killed himself the day after Christmas this last year. I liked hunting them more then any other Critter. In fact we would be down there right now, if he was still here.
Really sorry to hear that @Stalker69, that is rough.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I’ll be looking for them with my Son on a Junior tag Monday. If anyone is familiar with south west New Mexico and is willing to PM me, I’d like to ask about areas to steer clear of due to illegal alien activity. I have a few spots that I want to hunt but they are fairly close to the border.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HUNTNUT

FNG
Aim farther forward than you think. I hit my first javelina with a bow a little farther behind the shoulder and chased him around for a while. Glad PETA doesn't have a video of that rodeo. Lot's of fun.

Hnthrdr

WKR
They are peculiar little creatures, Grandpa in law has them all over his ranch in northern AZ… he is not thrilled about them since the F&G released them up there and wants to tell him what he can and can’t do on his place which his family settled in the 1870s. I was super pumped to see one since I never have. Now I have a couple points so I’ll have to whack one. They don’t seem terribly challenging to hunt, and gramps refers to them as skunk pigs and says they only taste good when drunk but I’ll try it haha