Jet Boat brands?

Looking to pick up a 18ft jet boat for use in MT/ID. Primarily for hunting & fishing. I’m currently deciding between a Crestliner FFC 1860 and a G3 FFC 1860. These two brand are offered in my area. Any feedback between the two brands and the motors they are paired with would be appreciated.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
G3 makes a good skiff, a good friend of mine has one and together we've hauled out half a dozen bull moose and a bear or 2 with it.

I bought a sea ark 1660mv and love it. For those small boats, I like the short stubby ones, my 1660 gets on step almost instantly with my Yamaha f60jb (40hp jet) and stays on step at relatively low speeds which makes it awesome for navigating windy rivers. I don't think g3 makes a 1660 but they make a 1652 that runs awesome with a 40/30 yamaha. At one point, the 1652 g3 was one of the lightest welded skiffs out there. The WSOF one is nice because theres usable space and a good bench, it came with a floor too which is nice to keep you off the ribs but makes it harder to clean.

When I got my sea ark, the material is a bit thicker so its tough but I believe it weighs like 35lbs less than a g3 1652wsof (probably because of the floor).

Ive personally never wished I'd gotten the 18ft boat, when I got it lots of friends said I should have gone bigger, after they have done some creek running in it they have l been sold on the 1660. I'm also glad I didnt buy the tunnel version. The tunnel is nice because it has a taller transom so you may not need to run a jack plate but the tunnel makes you lose boyance while drifting which is a problem for moose and bear hunting.

Also, pay attention to your shaft length I believe th enew yamaha 60/40 has a 20" shaft, Mine is like 2 years old and it came with a 25" shaft. Figure out how you want to set it up, its tough to get a real creek runner set up to do it all in that its tough to get a tiller comfortable both for aggressive ripping AND relaxed driving across lakes and such.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You should check out SeaArk boats as well as the lowe roughneck stuff, alumaweld is good too. I think wooldridge also makes that alaskan LT still but thats a much different boat.

OP
Great information. If I was living in AK, I would be seriously looking at the Alaskan LT. A little out of my price range unfortunately.

SeaArk has been on my list for awhile now. However, availability and distance to be nearest dealer are not in my favor. I believe the closest dealer is 800 miles away. I’ve seen a few DXS 1652 SLD in my area and they look sweet. Do you have a picture of your set up?

Most trips will by solo or with a buddy. However, I need to be able to accommodate my family, which consists of a wife, two kids and two dogs. I feel that would be pushing it for the 16ft..

idahodave

WKR
I run a Lowe Roughneck 1756 tunnel hull here in Idaho with a Honda 90/65 and love it. I have pods on the back which accounts for the loss of flotation from the tunnel hull. Can't imagine a better setup, other than maybe having a more forward console. Have buddies with a G3 and they build a great boat too.

Not a fan of Crestliner's myself, but can't say I've owned one personally. Most of my distaste comes from second-hand information from friends in the boating industry.

Dave

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had G3’s, a Lowe, a sea ark and my last guide boat was a rock proof. Hands down rockproof, nothing else comes close. That boat could run through a piss trickle…

OP
I appreciate the feedback everyone. This was a recent quote for a Rx17 Lowe. Debating on upgrading to the heavy duty edition .125 floor.

There seems to be a significant motor difference between the 17 & 18ft boats. 17ft would be a good size for us, just don’t want to be undergunned.IMG_7503.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
We ran Wooldridge boats exclusively on the Yellowstone when I was a game warden. I know they are spendy, but wouldn't hesitate to buy used- they are very (very) well built.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a seaark 2072 and love it. Very well built.

If I were in your shoes I would see what dealers are in your area for a few different brands, and have them give you quotes. Hard telling but with people pulling back on things there might be some better deals to be had

I would look at a .125 hull at a minimum. Not sure what's common on the waters you run

OP
I've got a seaark 2072 and love it. Very well built.

If I were in your shoes I would see what dealers are in your area for a few different brands, and have them give you quotes. Hard telling but with people pulling back on things there might be some better deals to be had

I would look at a .125 hull at a minimum. Not sure what's common on the waters you run
Thanks. Really like this particular set up. IMG_7507.png

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I think 1860 is a good size. Big enough for people and gear as well as stability, but still able to get in some small places.

I had a 1652 roughneck for a long time and it was a great duck hunting boat but a little small for the big water and not a ton of room for more than 2 guys and gear. But decoys take up a lot of space. If all your taking is a cooler and the family a 16' can definitely do it. And the smaller boat takes less HP so a little cheaper

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I definetly wouldn’t buy a Mercury motor like on that roughneck quote.

16ft is pretty minimal for 2 guys and hunting stuff….and meat but it works, I honestly don’t think for what I personally do an 18 foot would be any better than my 16 and it would it drive as well in some areas.

I knew a guy who had a 20’ roughneck with a 115 on it. That boat was a lot of fun but it wasn’t great on tight creeks.

I’ve got a buddy with a g3 1652 with a yama 40/60. It will get the job done but gets sluggish with 3. If you do flat water at all I would get more power. Jets are extremely finicky with weight distribution and weight in general vs a prop, so the extra HP gives you a lot more wiggle on loads. The G3 17’ with the larger motor seems like a very wise step up.

If you really want a sweet rig get a rockproof or a rockfish…. A man can dream!

geterdone

FNG
I would worry more about the motor offerings and size of boat/motor than the brand. Most riveted jon style boats are built very similar, motors on the other hand no so much. Yamaha/honda/suzuki motors, pick the dealer that is closest and offers the best service in your area. As others have said, 16ft gets small quick if using it for hunting, 18 will give the extra space and still take you in the skinny water.

If running is water with lots of debris/grass, go with a prop over a jet. Jet is only great in clean shallow water. It will suck up anything and everything it can. Max out the motor HP for the boat hull, you won't regret having too much power.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Wooldridge Alaskan 18’ with a 150hp Optimax.
Whatever boat you choose, get the biggest motor rated.
I have never heard a jet boat owner say “ I wish I had a smaller motor.”

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with not going with the mercury. Yamahas are the favorite around here but I went with the suzuki and couldn't be happier. Runs amazing and sips fuel (4 stroke). Mines a prop though

I have an atlas micro jack plate and it's been good. My only complaint is it's pretty slow but it's never been an issue. The jack plate is great for me as I idle through sump fields, shallow flats and can get the prop up to nearly the surface while still being trimmed down, which keeps the back of the boat from digging down in the water. I can motor around in less than a ft of water basically until the hull starts dragging.