Jetstream vest non hunting brand alternative?

Got a jetstream vest that I really like for layering except I wish I didn't get it in camo so I could wear it more for everyday use. Before I pony up for a non camo sitka version does anyone else make something comparable?

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a north face vest a few years ago. It has some kind of wind proof thing in it. It’s been awesome. It’s not insulated or anything, but it sure helps around here were the wind always seems to show up.

I have a couple of the midway usa fire steel jackets. Other then not having pit zips they seem great.
Pretty sure they make a vest as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When comparing vests like the Jetstream, be sure to see what the outer fabric is- Windstopper really performs in the wind (doesn't breathe all that great, but it really stops the wind!)

Marshfly

WKR
When comparing vests like the Jetstream, be sure to see what the outer fabric is- Windstopper really performs in the wind (doesn't breathe all that great, but it really stops the wind!)
These vests (and the jacket) are also far bulkier than you'd think if it's something you will want to pack. I do not bring either if they will spend most of the time in the pack.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
These vests (and the jacket) are also far bulkier than you'd think if it's something you will want to pack. I do not bring either if they will spend most of the time in the pack.

This is true. The Jetstream (jacket & vest) is a true soft shell, replete with a light fleece fabric, the outer fabric is on the tougher/durable side too- all adding to bulk and weight (and warmth!). They aren't very light either, BUT they do make a very effective wind and light precip blocker- adding warmth as well to what ever you already have underneath.

Always trade offs :)

Trial153

WKR
Jetstream is my most used jacket, one of them
Comes with me on every hunt. I use the shit out of a Jetstream vest also over a core hoody

Columbia PFG vest, I'd similar but not quite as good in the wind. For how much you will end up using the vest, buy a jetstream vest on sale in a solid and heart it spring fall and winter for everything you do. I wear mine to the office, in the office, home from the office. Working out in the shop, workouts in the shop, running, skiing, biking, hiking, grouse hunting, duck hunting, deer hunting. I carry mine when I elk hunt sometimes if it's odd temps. I'd give up half of all my other hunting clothes to keep it. I only wish mine was a solid color, and I wish it was a size down. I'm 6'2 215 athletic, and the xl is a bit big unless I'm layered up good under. Still functions, but for the way I'd like to wear it a large would be great.

Dcr54682

FNG
Pnuma waypoint is basically the same thing. They have been running good sales on their site and Eurooptic for the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk