Jetstream vs Timberline+Kelvin light

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
So I have the timberline II jacket, and yesterday at scheels I was fumbling with the jetstream. It feels like a mix between the kelvin light and timberline. My biggest gripe with the timberline was no insulation and not water/wind proof enough to justify layering it instead of a puffy. Has anyone worn/used the jetstream and think its a warmer jacket than the timberline? It almost felt like a kelvin light/active.

Thanks

Trial153

WKR
There is no comparison between the two.
For me the timeberline was a waste. Not warm enough to even justify owning the jacket and the vest. I couldnt move them out quick enough.

The jetstream is my favorite sitka peice, I have worn it bow hunting from the sub artic to mexico, it my most used jacket. Its warm for its weight, the DWR finish will get you through light rain and it stops wind. Both jetstream jackets I had i had to up size though if I was going to the layer under it. The jetstream vest is true to size for me and great layering peice. Over a core heavy weight or R1 the jacket or the vest will get you through a very big range of temperatures.

I love the timberline. It’s part of a system though and it’s intent is a light wind layer, not an insulation layer. I don’t ever carry it without a puffy or the kelvin active depending on the season and where I’m hunting.

If you’re moving a lot the timberline works way better for me on the move than the jetstream, and is more versatile to layer under or over due to the fit and thinner material.

This season I hunted more with my timberline and kelvin active (over the top of a merino short sleeve shirt and either the core long sleeve or the apex hoody depending on temps) than I did anything else.

I am the opposite of Trial153...I sold my jetstream and kept my timberline.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I love the timberline. It’s part of a system though and it’s intent is a light wind layer, not an insulation layer. I don’t ever carry it without a puffy or the kelvin active depending on the season and where I’m hunting.

If you’re moving a lot the timberline works way better for me on the move than the jetstream, and is more versatile to layer under or over due to the fit and thinner material.

This season I hunted more with my timberline and kelvin active (over the top of a merino short sleeve shirt and either the core long sleeve or the apex hoody depending on temps) than I did anything else.

I am the opposite of Trial153...I sold my jetstream and kept my timberline.

I've been wanting a kelvin hoodie/jacket for awhile, I may grab one and see how it works with both.

I've been wanting a kelvin hoodie/jacket for awhile, I may grab one and see how it works with both.

I think Sitka has about 4 different versions of kelvin jackets, I personally have 3 puffy coats that serve 3 different purposes.

They have a Kelvin down version that’s super warm, then the Kelvin, Kelvin light, and Kelvin active.

I use my Kelvin active a lot with the timberline. The Kelvin light is a good glassing jacket when it’s not too cold, but for a pure warm as possible layer you’re going to want to look at the Kelvin or the Kelvin down hoody.

I also would highly recommend the kifaru lost parka if you’re looking for pure warmth. I slip my kifaru parka over my timeberline a lot when I get to my glassing spots in the cold of the morning. Putting a puffy over the thicker jetstream wasn’t as comfortable to me personally. That kifaru parka blocks the wind well, then with the wind blocker or the timberline, it’s a pretty warm system on a glassing knob.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I think Sitka has about 4 different versions of kelvin jackets, I personally have 3 puffy coats that serve 3 different purposes.

They have a Kelvin down version that’s super warm, then the Kelvin, Kelvin light, and Kelvin active.

I use my Kelvin active a lot with the timberline. The Kelvin light is a good glassing jacket when it’s not too cold, but for a pure warm as possible layer you’re going to want to look at the Kelvin or the Kelvin down hoody.

I also would highly recommend the kifaru lost parka if you’re looking for pure warmth. I slip my kifaru parka over my timeberline a lot when I get to my glassing spots in the cold of the morning. Putting a puffy over the thicker jetstream wasn’t as comfortable to me personally. That kifaru parka blocks the wind well, then with the wind blocker or the timberline, it’s a pretty warm system on a glassing knob.

I've been leaning more towards the kelvin light to use as I glass in early season elk/mule deer or insulate under timberlines in the mid season.

OP
Ian Ketterman

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
Can you comfortably do a puffy under the Jetstream?

I was trying them on at a store, wearing my fanatic hoodie. A Large Kelvin was snug over that and the jetstream was ok over both. I would probably size up the Kelvin to an XL and I don't own a single piece of XL clothes.

excaliber

WKR
I do. I had to go up to a 2xl on the Jetstream and a 2xl kelvin lite. I usually wear an XL but had to size up on both due to tightness in the arms and arm length. I've yet to try the system out in really cold temps but I'm sure I could sit and glass in temps in the low teens and colder if my lower body could take it.

Can you comfortably do a puffy under the Jetstream?

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the celsius jacket, which sadly is no longer made, but always available on ebay. Its very quiet and just warm enough for active use in the mountains, without being bulky and heavy.

huntcoop

WKR
My layering on my last trip in Northern BC was a long sleeve merino base layer with a XL Kelvin Lite then a XL Jetstream, no issues. Temperatures ranged from -5 down to -20 celcius. The Jetstream has no insulation, just windstopper.

LJ Buck

WKR
I like the Kelvin Lite but recently I have fallen in love with the Brooks down sweater form FL. It's down has the 37.5 fibers incorporated into it allowing it to breath. The Brooks seems to keep me extremely warm for it's fill weight and I never get to hot when moving in it. It has replaced my Kelvin Light as my everyday wear jacket.

As for the Timberline jacket compared to the Jetstream, I love both but if weight is a concern the Timberline is my choice with the Windstoper and the cut and hood are amazing on it and it is light. The Jet stream is one of the best soft shells ever made but is heavy for many applications.

And this thread is one of the reasons I haven’t bought any Sitka stuff. Researching all their lines (4 types of Kelvins lol) is harder than picking a hunting unit lol.