Jumping in

I first heard of backpack hunting about a year ago. Being from Indiana, this is all new to me. I'm 42 and I've come to the conclusion that will never own a huge farm to hunt on. I want to learn your (collective) techniques to enable me to hunt public land in Indiana that is less pressured. Maybe later I'll get to the mountains...but small steps work best. Better to learn in an area with which I am familiar and where I am not so far into the bush.

I'm working out daily to prepare. I'm a cop and a SWAT operator so though I'm getting old...I ain't dead yet.

I'm ready to start gearing up. Looking for backpack suggestions specific to my situation. I don't think there are any retailers here that sell this kind if stuff, so I can't try packs to see what fits best.

I plan to go with a Sawtooth and a larger stove. Hunting whitetails, with a max. hike-out of 5 miles(ish).

Any pack thoughts?

neverquit

WKR
Kifaru. I'm running a bikini frame with the nomad and a camp bag. It's pretty much adaptable to any situation I could imagine.

Once you get the feeling of being out in the wilderness knowing your alone. You'll never hunt any other way

Last edited:

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru and am waiting on an Exo. The Kifaru is very comfortable to carry loaded. There are two thing in the Kifaru I am not enamored with, access is pretty much top only (I have a T2 bag) and it doesn't compact down as well or easily as I'd like, plus there are loose straps everywhere to secure such that getting in and out of the bag isn't exactly timely.

You could go the Kifaru Late Season pack with a couple of side pockets for whitetail and multi day hunts or a bikini or duplex frame with any one of the bags Kifaru makes.

I use my late season w/grab it or cargo chair (depending on if I'm hauling stands/sticks in) and a couple of belt pouches for my whitetail pack and my duplex and emr2 set up for multi day camping or hunting.

Call Aron at Kifaru. He's a great guy to talk gear with and he's not a pushy salesman. He'll shoot you straight as point you in the right direction for your gear needs.

You didn't mention any budget constraints but I love my Kifaru packs. With that said, I think they are the best of the best and by no means do you have to have the best gear to go hunting in the back country. Without a doubt, you should go with whatever gear you can afford and begin learning what works and what you want to upgrade. Lots of good deals on used packs from time to time. I just picked up an older Kifaru MMR with duplex frame for a very reasonable price. Deals are there even for high end gear. Good luck!

I hunt in a similar situation in illinois. I have owned several different packs from high end pack makers over the last year, partly because i couldnt find one that was perfect, and partly because i am a gear whore. I have finally settled on a Kifaru Duplex frame with a cargo panel. It works perfectly for hauling my treestand and kit. I plan on adding the camp bag and E&E. With that setup i can go from heavy day hunts to week long trips. With the E&E you can unclip and throw it on your back for a bag in the stand. The cargo panel is freakin awesome and incredibly versatile. If you're ever anywhere near illinois you're more than welcome to check it out.

woods89

WKR
I'm working into doing the same thing here in south central Mo. I can't help you with pack choices because i use a setup I built myself. But I thought I'd pass on a couple resources that have helped me a lot. I don't know where you're at in your whitetail hunting journey but I started at the bottom and Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon and Dan Infalt's hill country video have helped me tremendously.

I'm just starting hunting this way but I've been hunting public land for a few years now. I did my first backpack overnighter this spring for turkey opener and it is an awesome way to hunt. I wound up killing my best bird ever. To go deep into public land and be successful is an awesome feeling. It really unlocks a lot of acreage in my neck of the woods.

Best of luck!

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I am very happy with my Stone Glacier setup. I have had the frame and the approach bag since just after the end of hunting season last year, so no actual hunting has been done with it yet, but I've carried loads that equal, or far exceed, what I would normally carry hunting, and it performs wonderfully. I just got my solo bag, and I am liking it so far. I plan to use the approach on day hunts, and the solo with or without the approach attached for multiple days. I am not a fan of top loaders, so the approach and solo work very well for me. The Stone glacier stuff is quite minimalist, but they have some add on pockets and things of that sort, if you need or want that stuff. I am running 2 small hip belt pockets, 2 camp pockets, and the weapon sling. It is a very versatile system.

I meant to preface my post above with the fact that I've only tried a couple Badlands packs in the mountains before I went Kifaru so my experience is limited to those. I went right from mediocre (IMO) to the Cadillac of packs. Everyone will have their favorites. In reality you can do just fine with some military surplus packs. Heck, you can get a cheap day pack and add a frame pack for heavy hauling. Lots of options but don't think you have to have the best and most expensive gear just to go hunting and survive.

That said, if you have the budget for a high end pack, then you can't go wrong with picking one up and trying it. The resale is generally very good if you don't like it and many of them have a trial period where you can return it if not satisfied. Keep us posted on what you end up going with and happy hunting! You didn't say how long you've been in the USA, but welcome to America! Enjoy!

kodiakfly

WKR
Where are you in Indiana? I'm originally from there, and I've lived literally on the Ohio River and I graduated high school just south of South Bend...so I know that it's really like two different states as far as terrain. If you're hiking five miles, I'll assume you're in the southern part of the state where you don't have the luxury of a squared county road ever mile.

If you're treestand hunting, I'd recommend a pack that you can lash on odd loads like that. There's tons of good packs out there. What's your budget and that'll help narrow down your choices.

Welcome to the site.

OP
H
I'm in the Indy area, but hunt dowstate in the hills. In theory, the budget's fairly liberal. This stuffs expensive tho. So, being financially conscious I think I'll start with the shelter, stove, bag, etc. I think I have a grip on what I want there. And I do I have a pack I think I could get by with for this fall if I had to. But the pack is the next thing I am trying to figure out, which is why I was asking.

Thanks for the responses...cool group. I'm gonna get some gear orders in soon so I can work with it over the summer. I'll keep ya posted.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Any pack thoughts?

Kifaru or Seek Outside. May I suggest you get the hiking and living out of a pack thing sorted out before you go hunting. Even if you have to do it in the back yard. Seriously. If you are a SWAT guy, you understand "tape-drills".

SDC

Lil-Rokslider
A surplus ILBE ain't a bad way to fly, at least to get started, either. You're not talking overly rugged terrain, and if you're just getting going then you're going to have a lot of experimentation to find out what works best for you and your needs in front of you.

I believe CRaxe (on the Kifaru forums) has a brand new FILBE pack for sale. It's complete with extra detachable side pockets.

OP
H
Still trying to learn here...

I'm comparing a Kifaru Duplex Timberline 1 w/ bikini to a KUIU Icon Pro 7200. They seem fairly similar, but the Kifaru is quite a bit more expensive and seems to be more highly recommended. Why is that...materials, durability, versatility...?

Still trying to learn here...

I'm comparing a Kifaru Duplex Timberline 1 w/ bikini to a KUIU Icon Pro 7200. They seem fairly similar, but the Kifaru is quite a bit more expensive and seems to be more highly recommended. Why is that...materials, durability, versatility...?
I can't comment on the bags, but I've had both the duplex and the kuiu icon frame. This is just one mans opinion so take it as such. For me, the Duplex is leaps and bounds a better product but they are different animals. I won't get into all the things i like about the duplex because that would take too long. Instead i will tell you what I didn't like about the kuiu frame. It is a decent option if your funds are limited, but there are some things to know. There is a plastic sheet in the belt of the kuiu frame, i had some pretty signifigant hot spots and sore spots from the belt. The point where the load lifter straps are connected to the shoulder straps is a permanent so if you have a longer torso that connection moves farther back on the shoulder. Its hard to describe and i probably screwed that up but just know that the adjustability and modularity are really limited with the kuiu frame. Just my opinion, buy the Kifaru, you won't be sorry.