K4 for saddle hunting

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, As the title suggests I am looking for a backpack for saddle hunting, the problem is, saddle hunting in October/November in Alberta can be equipment heavy. Typically I would be hiking in 1-2.5 kms and then climbing into a tree. I will likely have to carry in my bibs or parka, potentially both. As the typical steps (xop), platform and saddle(Cruzr). I would love to pick up the K4 2200 but I'm not sure it would be big enough. I am thinking the K4 3600 should fit the bill, it would likely also be ideal for still hunting the timber for Mule Deer.

Is anyone here having to hike in just as much gear? What packs are you using? I like that I could dump my gear and use the frame pack to pack out an animal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 2200 bag to go with my 7200 a few weeks ago for exactly what you described. Late season MN gets cold like you guys do, but I don't have any concern with trying to get my jacket/bibs in with me, though I plan to have to strap at least one of those to the outside of the pack. If you wanted to put everything in the bag itself and only strap the sticks/bow to the outside of the pack then I'd go with the 3600, but if you're ok strapping your bibs/jacket to the outside then the 2200 will be plenty big.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 2200 bag to go with my 7200 a few weeks ago for exactly what you described. Late season MN gets cold like you guys do, but I don't have any concern with trying to get my jacket/bibs in with me, though I plan to have to strap at least one of those to the outside of the pack. If you wanted to put everything in the bag itself and only strap the sticks/bow to the outside of the pack then I'd go with the 3600, but if you're ok strapping your bibs/jacket to the outside then the 2200 will be plenty big.
thanks for the reply... I have been to Duluth once in January. That was cold!

I don't mind keeping gear on the outside, I prefer to keep most of it accessible for easy setup. I have a old Kuiu 1850, and it definitely doesn't cut it for space. I do like the way the K4 is set up with their side and bottom compression straps, perfect for carrying gear on the outside.

I'll be using a K4 5000 for hunting mtn bucks this fall. Saddle, platform, camera gear, clothing, etc. Plenty of room and a horseshoe zipper for access.